944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
It's finally underway. EmptyYesterday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
It's finally underway. EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
It's finally underway. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
It's finally underway. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
It's finally underway. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
It's finally underway. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
It's finally underway. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
It's finally underway. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
It's finally underway. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
It's finally underway. EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

It's finally underway.

+2
87-944S
dallas
6 posters

Go down

It's finally underway. Empty It's finally underway.

Post  dallas Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:25 pm

No, it actually started back June 19th. I finally started my gallery here. Hope the pics help those starting now. I'll post more as I finish up. Hope to be running by labor day. Wiring might be a pita though.

dallas

Back to top Go down

It's finally underway. Empty Re: It's finally underway.

Post  dallas Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 pm

We'll I'm getting close. Down to 7 wires coming off the engine harnesstiil I fire it up.My question is, how to wire the fuel pump and fan relays. I had my ls harness modified and he left a wire that says fuel pump on it. I'm take a guess and say to connect it to terminal 85 on relay? And ground terminal 86? I'm using gt1scca's posting to admin for the corvette pinouts. Relay activation proceedure should be the same using my marked wires. I'm gonna try and use the wires marked high speed fan and low speed fan as trip wires for #1 fan and #2 fan using the fan relay This brings a question of where does the relay get it's ground as in the case of the fuel pump relay? Terminal 85 hot in start and run (keyed power?) term 86 computer trip wire, term 30 direct to battery, (no fuse?) term 87 straight fused power. Isn't a ground reqired? Help!

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 pm

I scrapped the Porsche fan relays and fan switch and used 3 relays to wire the fans in a low speed/high speed setup from the GM schematics (thanks to Skywalker for the schematic) What this does is put the fans in series for low speed operation, and then the both get 12 volts for high speed operation. The GM computer pulls the relays' coil to ground to activiate the relays. This setup is great, and if you have access to a tuning rogram (I have have HPTuners) you can program in the temp they come on, go off, and disable at a certain road speed ( I think defaualt was 30 or 35MPH) as they provide no benefit at speeds above that, as well as how long they run after the engine is shut off. Another benefit is if you are running A/C like I am, they will kick on when the GM computer has an A/C request signal.

Mike
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

It's finally underway. Empty relays

Post  dallas Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:02 am

Are you still using the the Porsche fans? And where did you get the relays? Also did you use the Porsche dme relay for the fuel pump?

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:42 am

Yes, I'm using the Porsche fans and a custom turbo sized radiator with the turbo fan shroud. The radiator is from Griffin, I had it made without the fan switch bung. The relays came from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a buck a piece, plus I bought relays sockets, makes installation much cleaner. I am using the DME relay for the fuel pump.

Mike
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  dallas Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks, I'm using the stock turbo radiator and fans. Hope it works till I find another alternative. I found the site you mention. If you could get me the part numbers that would be great. I'm not too good on electronic stuff. Your setup sounds much cleaner. Gotta call on skywalker for the diagram.

dallas

Back to top Go down

It's finally underway. Empty Rad

Post  968gene Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 am

Tell us more about the Griffin. Was this a custom order? Can they produce another one like it? Cost?
968gene
968gene

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:35 pm

It a standard turbo replacement from Griffin, I just had them delete the fan switch bung and put in a petcock valve for draining, instead of the nylon bolt Porsche used. Cost was $445 plus $50 shipping. I originally sent them my S radiator to copy, they sent me back a turbo sized one. I decided to just keep it instead of dealing with the hassle of returning it and waiting on a new one. Good news for you N/A and S owners like me, just get a turbo lower radiator support, they go for 20 bucks or so used and the turbo radiator fits perfect! All my S ducting and the under engine cover fit as well.

Mike
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

It's finally underway. Empty It's alive!

Post  dallas Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:49 am

When the smoke and dust blew out of that pipe, everyone knew it [u]wasn't the end of the line for that Porsche! Yep, fired it up yesterday! Gonna try to get a video. First I'd like to thank everyone that answered my sometimes crazy questions. I know I'm confusing at times. Thats the good. The bad is one of those pipes coming off the pan for the oil filter is leaking. I checked them when I installed it, but must have missed something. The leak is just above the fitting. I was carefull and used 2 wrenches when I tightened them. The only other thing is fan relays and tach wire. Not a real biggie. Again THANKS GUYS! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Bridar Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:53 am

Dallas, I had the same situation with the pipes on the oil pan leaking. Don't do what I did and naturally assume that the leak is coming from the AN fitting. I tried tightening the fitting, installing special (read hard to find) conical sealing washers, and still could not stop the leak. I finally flushed the area with brake parts cleaner to remove every trace of oil and let the car sit for about an hour. I then crawled underneath and looked closely to find that the leak was actually a bad weld between the tube and the pan. The weld was hidden where it was nearly invisible. Renegade took full responsibility for this and repaired the pan, but it still cost me about 6 weeks or more of downtime. Frustrating when you're so close to that first road test.
Bridar
Bridar

Back to top Go down

Post  944ls Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:34 pm

cheers bounce

944ls

Back to top Go down

It's finally underway. Empty bad weld.

Post  dallas Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm really not sure where it was leaking. But it was above the fitting as you said. I used a bore scope I have to look as far around the pipe as I could. I saw a small hole like a pin. Not sure what they used to weld it. But I wasn't about to hold up progress right now so it got jb weld at top and bottom. I never liked the condition of the pan when I got it but the turn around time they gave me was not to my satisfaction. It will become a winter project. Now for the first drive!

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  944v8inDFW Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:23 pm

sounds like someone is using old coat hangers for tig rod!

944v8inDFW

Back to top Go down

It's finally underway. Empty First ride.

Post  dallas Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 pm

All I can say is WOW! I had a friend video the first ride for me. Its a short 2 min. clip. I'll try to post as soon as I can. It's been a long time since I was grabbed by the seat of the pants and throw down the street, but to me thats what it felt like. A little getting used to the clutch. It seems to just grab sometimes instead of sliding in smoothly. The first ride made all the problems seem small. Thanks again too all that answered my crazy questions. Hope to post the video soon. Alex

dallas

Back to top Go down

It's finally underway. Empty The video.

Post  dallas Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Here's the video. This is my first time doing one, so cut me some slack. Cecil B Demile I'm not!

dallas

Back to top Go down