944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar

5 posters

Go down

Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar Empty Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar

Post  FrostedFlakeJake Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 am

I have Intrax RSA double adjustable coil-overs from Lindsey Racing with torsion bar delete.
The rear springs are 5.9" long and ~670 lb/in. I can't seem to get the rear of the car tall enough for the factory rear camber adjustment. I've tried the camber adjustment at both extremes which provides either too much negative camber, or way too much negative camber. Needless to say the coilovers are at their max "tall" setting.

So talk to me about the factory ride height adjustment. I've tried it at both extremes... where exactly is it suppose to change the height? I measured from floor to highest point in rear fender and I got the same measurement with the factory adjustment at both extremes.

Does my spring height/rate seem reasonable? At first it seemed like a no brainer that the springs were too short but it sounds like others have run 6", 700lb springs without having my camber problem.

Truth be told I've only tried it on one side of the vehicle... would doing the other side have any effect?

Thanks in advance

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar Empty Re: Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar

Post  kevin924kevin Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Hey Jake,  i have the ground control shocks. My coils are longer than 5.5. They are Eibach 600lb. From what i was told once you surpass 600lb you will need to do an extra support for the shock to insure you dont sheer the bolt. I will measure my spring lenght. I am sure they are closer to 8" or longer. I will add a diagram i found yesterday showing the adjustment to the rear. I never undid the two bolts, so mine should still be a stock S2 ride hieght.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar Empty Re: Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar

Post  FrostedFlakeJake Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks Kevin. I'm almost certain my springs are too short I just want a little additional confidence before I call up Lindsey Racing complaining. Plus i'll be the first to admit i've been wrong plenty of times before when I was "almost certain" of things.....

I'll post a picture or two after the weekend (gone skiing)

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  v8944 Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Just for comparison's sake, I've attached a picture of the Koni Ground Control Rear Coilovers (with Eibach 600lb springs...actually unloaded length I'm not sure of) as well as the ride height I set them at after settling had occurred. I had plenty of room to go up if I remember correctly. This is with Torsion Bars deleted.

Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar 20160911

Rear Spring Length - Coil Over Conversion w/No Torsion Bar Fb_img10
v8944
v8944

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin924kevin Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:58 am

Jake I measured my spring length.  They are 7 in long. Same as he'll fires in the pic.just had a look at mine again. Not the same shock. My threaded body covers the shock complete.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks to both. I confirmed the 7" from the part number in the photo.

I have to call Lindsey Racing. I sent an e-mail but it must have gotten lost in the interwebs Rolling Eyes

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:42 pm

I think I have 7" (or maybe 6") spings on the rear. Don't know if you're racing or just making a street car, but you want to shortest spring that you can to eliminate as much free play as you can.

First, I'd put it on both sides and reassess the camber. You're trying to measure something half pregnant.

If you're going to lower your ride height, then your camber will be more negative. Doing an alignment, I will sometimes put a ratchet strap between the wheels to pull them more towards a positive camber. It's just the suspension design...

Spring height will be more a factor of where the perch is on the shock and what ride height you're looking for. Spring rate will be determined how you want your suspension to react. My car is a track only car and I've run all kinds of combinations of F/R spring rates. For a more street turbo, 450/600 seems to feel right. For the track, I'm at 600/800 or sometimes 650/1000 (depends on the track surface and track)
money pit 951
money pit 951

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 pm

First, I'd put it on both sides and reassess the camber. You're trying to measure something half pregnant.

If you're going to lower your ride height, then your camber will be more negative. Doing an alignment, I will sometimes put a ratchet strap between the wheels to pull them more towards a positive camber. It's just the suspension design...

The coilovers are on all 4 corners I've just only adjusted one side on the rear. Looking at the suspension design I really don't understand how monkeying with the rear driver side would affect the rear passenger side, but hell it's certainly worth a try.

And i understand lowering the ride height will cause more negative camber, the thing is I wanted to be able to be at factory ride height and be able to lower using the coilovers and at this time the tallest I can get is at least 1" lower than factory. I'm the first to say I don't understand something which is why I was looking for others with 6" springs and similar spring rates to see how tall they can get the car.

Thanks for the input guys! rabbit

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin924kevin Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:58 pm

My springs in the rear are 600lb with no torsion bars.
kevin924kevin
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  racertomtom Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:01 pm

FrostedFlakeJake wrote:
money pit 951 wrote:First, I'd put it on both sides and reassess the camber. You're trying to measure something half pregnant.

The coilovers are on all 4 corners I've just only adjusted one side on the rear. Looking at the suspension design I really don't understand how monkeying with the rear driver side would affect the rear passenger side, but hell it's certainly worth a try.
Assuming all 4 corners are sitting on level ground as they should be, it sounds like you have loaded one corner making it carry too much weight. Adjusting all 4 corners will distribute the weight and likely raise the ride height and straighten camber slightly. You're not only "monkeying with" side to side weight, but front to rear and corner to corner weight, which will affect ride height and camber.

Even with a much stiffer spring than stock, you will still likely have a lower ride height with a 6" spring.

racertomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  money pit 951 Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 pm

I think a few of us are talking about a few different things and we're becoming confusing for you

FrostedFlakeJake wrote:

This is a reference to corner balancing where (for example) raising up the right rear of the car will put more weight on the driver's front and unload the left rear. The problem is that's step two in setting up the car. Step one is to first set the car to the desired ride height, and if I understand correctly that's where you're still having problems.

If you can't get your desired ride height from the spring length you have, then I'd go with a taller spring. We're not all comparing apples to apples here as we all have different brand/design shocks. Maybe the body of your shock just doesn't raise the spring perch up the way the rest of ours do.

So my suggestion - get the car to the ride height you want, then corner balance the car (check ride height after), and then do an alignment in that order.

Hope this helps
money pit 951
money pit 951

Back to top Go down