944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Adapter plate
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptyToday at 9:35 am by sepheroth86

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptyYesterday at 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles?

4 posters

Go down

Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? Empty Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles?

Post  acorad Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:31 pm

Hi all, 1987 951 with 2000-ish LS1.

Short question: Would driving the car 100+ miles on 7 cylinders hurt anything? Engine shaking like a mofo.

Long story: My car has been stranded for over a week now in a tiny farming town in Central CA about 130 miles from my home.

First the serpentine belt broke and tore the lines to the heater core so the engine was given an unplanned steam bath. So we put a new serp belt on the engine, and did a loop/return for the heater lines.

Then, a couple hours of driving later, the engine simply died, and we saw that the fuel pump was getting no power. So now the fuel pump is hooked up directly to the battery with a manual switch.

That setup works fine, but when we got the car started it was running crazy rough.

It turns out the #3 coil is not getting power. Zero volts from from the ignition harness.

The local mechanics in this little town are all hotrod/lowrider type guys who love the idea of a chevy engine in a 951, but all they seem to be really busy and it's been over a week now and I think I need to get the car home to fix it.

The mechanics seem to think it wouldn't hurt anything to drive the car home on 7 cylinders.

What do you guys think?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? Empty personally i wouldn't

Post  Gutterboy Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:25 am

when fuel isn't getting ignited that means its getting washed into the oil which affects your viscosity and lubrication. I don't think it's an ignorable thing for that long of a drive of fuel bathing your oil.

every once in awhile i get stranded on a failed coil in my daily driver which is a turbo'ed scion frs (gt86), and the one time i got caught way out of the city i limped it back home for 20km and with my aggressive tune that dumps fuel to keep on top of any detonation my oil smelled mighty premium after that.

immediate oil change as well change out the crappy aftermarket coils. will never buy expensive "quad fire" coils again. bunch of snake oil, tonnes of research into oem products and on coils i'm hard pressed to think there's a reason to stray from what's intended.

in summary, i think it's too far. i'd see if you get voltage at the ecu pin and if you do jimmy a wire to get the control signal to that coil so you can drive home on all 8 firing.

also have you swapped a coil to make sure the problem doesn't move? if it moves, it's the coil and then swap that out and you might get your 8th back real quick.
Gutterboy
Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? Empty Re: Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles?

Post  Rob44 Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:15 am

If you do, I'd unplug the fuel injector for that cylinder. Then it's just pumping air. No fuel, no spark.

Rob44

Gutterboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles? Empty Re: Thoughts about driving on 7 cylinders for 130 miles?

Post  acorad Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:21 am

Thanks guys! The mechanic said to unplug the harness connector to the coil, he said there'd be no fuel then.

And yes, I installed a new coil and there is no power to it.

And I agree, I should have the mechanic chase the no voltage from the coil connector back to the the ecu to see where the problem is.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:52 pm

unplug the injector for that hole. the pcm isnt smart enough to shut the injector of when the coil isnt firing.

are you missing the 12v switched power to the coil or the 5v trigger signal? if your missing the 12v switched power its an easy fix, get another coil harness. the coil harness has one 12v wiring at the 8 pin connector and splits in the coil harness, if it has 12v on all but one coil on that side its a problem in the coil harness. the 12v doesnt come from the ecm, it comes directly from a switched power fuse in the efi harness.

sharkey

Gutterboy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:24 am

That is very helpful, thank you.

From what I saw when I was up there last week, one of the previous mechanics was getting zero volts from the coil connection. I think, but am not sure, zero volts from both the switched power and the trigger signal.

I did get a text from the current mechanic this evening, he said that there wasn't enough power to one of the coil banks and that once they added power the miss went away. He said he could do a "manual jump to add power from the other side" as a temporary fix to get the car home.

Still waiting on confirmation that the manual jump works.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:55 am

Well, the mechanic says it's running. So I'll go get it tomorrow.

Then I'll start going through the harness to see if I can figure out what the problem is.

I wonder if some of the harness wires got water damaged when the heater core hoses got torn off and the engine got steam cleaned on the side of the freeway?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:09 pm

Well, for those that are following this drama, the car is home, finally!

The fuel pump is still powered directly from the battery by a manual switch because the fuel pump isn't getting power.

The last mechanic spliced in power to the driver side coil bank to solve the miss on cylinder 3 which previously was also not getting power (actually the whole bank was getting 7 volts or less, as sharkey correctly suggested above), and with that I was able to get got home.

But...during the entire 2.5 hour trip home the turn signals did not work.

And then, just a block from my home, they started working again. wth?

And...today I drove it while doing some errands, and at a stoplight the engine suddenly died. As far as I could tell, there was no power to anything.

I got out and lifted the hood, and as I stood there I heard  the radiator fans turn on and, lo and behold, there was power again!

I was then able to start the car and get it back to my home with no problems, but of course I am very frustrated.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the start of all my problems was a week before when the serpentine belt broke and tore off the heater core lines. There was a huge cloud of coolant steam that poured out from under the hood. I've never seen anything like it.

I'm assuming the car did not appreciate getting all it's engine wiring steam-cleaned?

Of all things car-related, electronics are the most difficult for me.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down