944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Adapter plate
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:35 am by sepheroth86

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptyWed May 01, 2024 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» Rear coilover suspension setup
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Auto trans possibility and general swap questions EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Auto trans possibility and general swap questions

3 posters

Go down

Auto trans possibility and general swap questions Empty Auto trans possibility and general swap questions

Post  spacecowboy067 Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:18 pm

Hello! So I'm starting to restore the interior and exterior of my 85.5 auto, and plan to LS swap this summer. I've got an engine (4.Cool now I just need a trans and thought I'd ask what I need to drop in a 5 speed or even a 928 auto, or if the original auto can be rebuilt stronger with a bigger converter or something. Reverse is gone so the trans definitely needs rebuilt or pulled regardless.

Do I need a new rear end?

Rip everything out of the back if going manual?

Will a 928 trans bolt up to 944 3spd rear just fine?

I read on Rennlist the diff in an auto is almost as beefy as a turbo's but not sure what that means for me swapping stuff...

Sorry if it's too many questions i just want to know what all a trans swap entails from the bell housing to the tailpipe. Thanks for your time

spacecowboy067

Back to top Go down

Auto trans possibility and general swap questions Empty Re: Auto trans possibility and general swap questions

Post  stu wright Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:20 am

spacecowboy067 wrote:
Hello! So I'm starting to restore the interior and exterior of my 85.5 auto, and plan to LS swap this summer. I've got an engine (4.Cool now I just need a trans and thought I'd ask what I need to drop in a 5 speed or even a 928 auto, or if the original auto can be rebuilt stronger with a bigger converter or something. Reverse is gone so the trans definitely needs rebuilt or pulled regardless.

I read on Rennlist the diff in an auto is almost as beefy as a turbo's but not sure what that means for me swapping stuff...

Sorry if it's too many questions i just want to know what all a trans swap entails from the bell housing to the tailpipe. Thanks for your time
The auto swap will work but it has a few things different than a manual . First the shaft in the torque tube will need to move forward to go all the way into the pilot bushing on engine . And yes you must mount a clutch and presure plate up on the engine as well as a 98 99 corvette 2 piece manual bell housing to mate engine . On auto 944s in the back is where torque converter is located and it has its own flywheel which is not a very beefy piece and will eventualy fail . Ive replaced 3 of them on mine and finnaly I welded a stainless circle on one to keep it from breaking . The manual is the way to go in my opinion but you will need a donor for the transaxle torque tube shifter clutch pedal console and shifter to convert to manual . Im currently switching mine to a manual .You need to get ahold of a conversion manual to help you understand it a little more as well as asking questions on here as there are some very knowledgeable people on here . Good luck .
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Auto trans possibility and general swap questions Empty Re: Auto trans possibility and general swap questions

Post  spacecowboy067 Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:51 am

stu wright wrote:
spacecowboy067 wrote:

The auto swap will work but it has a few things different than a manual . First the shaft in the torque tube will need to move forward to go all the way into the pilot bushing on engine . And yes you must mount a clutch and presure plate up on the engine as well as a 98 99 corvette 2 piece manual bell housing to mate engine . On auto 944s in the back is where torque converter is located and it has its own flywheel which is not a very beefy piece and will eventualy fail . Ive replaced 3 of them on mine and finnaly I welded a stainless circle on one to keep it from breaking . The manual is the way to go in my opinion but you will need a donor for the transaxle torque tube shifter clutch pedal console and shifter to convert to manual . Im currently switching mine to a manual .You need to get ahold of a conversion manual to help you understand it a little more as well as asking questions on here as there are some very knowledgeable people on here . Good luck .

Thanks that's very helpful! I was definitely thinking of going manual but this might seal the deal. There's a dead manual 944 for sale near me too so might just be perfect timing to buy a donor here.

spacecowboy067

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:18 am

spacecowboy067 wrote:
stu wright wrote:
spacecowboy067 wrote:

I just bought a whole car I paid 2500 for a ragged out 87 . Not sure what year yours is but mine is an 86 and 85.5 and up has different electronics as in relation to speedometer 85.5 and up are electronic speedo and has a different pickup on transaxle for speedo than 85 and earlier so keep that in mind . For now im just using a n/a manual and later Ill switch to a turbo LSD manual I bought a whole car to make sure I have every thing and when Im done with donor I have an wrecked 06 Impala SS with a front wheel drive 5.3 V8 Im going to make a rear engine 944 out of my donor car and If you look on facebook market place there are quite a few ragged out 944s that would make good donors . Ive had my converted 944 over 20 years and its been through many changes and currently I run a old school small block chevy cause when I started my swap thats what everyone was doing they hadnt started doing the LS swaps yet .

Thanks that's very helpful! I was definitely thinking of going manual but this might seal the deal. There's a dead  manual 944 for sale near me too so might just be perfect timing to buy a donor here.
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:30 am

I have a Manual transaxle core available if you decide not to use the auto:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also have a hundred+ videos showing my 4+ year swap:

Good luck with your swap!!!
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

spacecowboy067 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  spacecowboy067 Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:07 pm

MotoRider42HC wrote:I have a Manual transaxle core available if you decide not to use the auto:

I also have a hundred+ videos showing my 4+ year swap:

Good luck with your swap!!!

There's a local non running manual 944 for sale that I might just buy in total to harvest it's goodies, but I'll definitely be using your videos as a reference thank you!

spacecowboy067

MotoRider42HC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  spacecowboy067 Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:09 am

stu wright wrote:
spacecowboy067 wrote:
stu wright wrote:
spacecowboy067 wrote:

I just bought a whole car I paid 2500 for a ragged out 87 . Not sure what year yours is but mine is an 86 and 85.5 and up has different electronics as in relation to speedometer 85.5 and up are electronic speedo and has a different pickup on transaxle for speedo than 85 and earlier so keep that in mind . For now im just using a n/a manual and later Ill switch to a turbo LSD manual I bought a whole car to make sure I have every thing and when Im done with donor I have an wrecked  06 Impala SS with a front wheel drive 5.3 V8 Im going to make a rear engine 944 out of my donor car and If you look on facebook market place there are quite a few ragged out 944s that would make good donors . Ive had my converted 944 over 20 years and its been through many changes and currently I run a old school small block chevy cause when I started my swap thats what everyone was doing they hadnt started doing the LS swaps yet .

Thanks that's very helpful! I was definitely thinking of going manual but this might seal the deal. There's a dead  manual 944 for sale near me too so might just be perfect timing to buy a donor here.

I think I've seen some of your old posts here, you have or had an auto behind a sbc right? How did you go about rebuilding and beefing up the 3 speed?

spacecowboy067

Back to top Go down