944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

JP's LS1 Conversion

+17
Hotrodz of Dallas
Public_Neudity
924sbc406
rygroves
matty89
sharkey
superman22x
rawr
jimbag
Rich L.
erioshi
Jchard944
T951
suboptimalfit
Techno Duck
99sierra4x4
jpkinerk
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 Empty Re: JP's LS1 Conversion

Post  jpkinerk Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Matty, I do not! Turned out it was a flat spotted tire from my, uh, little hood mishap last summer.
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Well guys, after much thought and deciding not to pull the trigger on a new daily driver, I'm tossing around a new idea for the 944 S I purchased. My current 85.5 swap is just so fun as a track rat that I think I'm going to leave it that way. Soooo, I'm considering swapping the S as a fun weekend car. What I'm considering is an LSA. Has this been done before?

I'm not too worried about hood clearance as I'd probably just get a fiberglass one made, but I am concerned about the intercooler setup and torque tube adapter. Yes, I could do an LS3 crate engine a lot cheaper, but I thought I'd just consider the idea while I have a blank slate.

JP
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:27 am

intercooler setup isnt hard, its just a small radiator and an electric pump and 3/4" heater hoses. torque tube adapter will be the same as any other ls engine.

my concern would be making the transaxle survive. the lsa is 560hp untuned, add some decent headers and a tune and you can get close to 600hp. hell, your a pulley swap and tune away from 650hp. i think if your actually planning to keep a trans alive you should be doing the corvette torque tube/transaxle

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:38 am

Torque is the real killer of a trans, not so much horsepower. With that said, the LSA makes a lot of torque... A turbo setup making similar HP numbers, but only higher in the RPM range might be easier on the trans.

Go big, get an LT4...

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Hmm, that's a good point. Not sure I want to get into a T56 swap as well. I'd almost rather find an AOR and not hole shot it. Also, upon further investigation, I can get a crate LS3 set up for 525hp for 4k less than the LSA. That might be a better route. LT4 is interesting though. I hadn't thought of that. What would the benefit of that be over the LS3?

Thanks! JP
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 pm

the lt4 is a gen 5 engine. direct injected, vvt, supercharged, 650hp and 650 ft/lb.

even 525 hp ls3 is 485 ft/lb. if you drive it nicely an aor might take the abuse, but i feel at those sort of torque levels one wrong move and the tranny is gonna break.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  rygroves Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi JP,
Are you in Indiana or Ohio?
I'm a noob here and noticed by the tracks that would make sense. I'm in Indy and looking for some examples locally before I go down the rabbit hole.
Thanks,
Ryan

rygroves

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Hey Ryan,

Sorry for the delay. First time I've been away from the forum this long in years. Anyway, as luck would have it I'll be at Putnam Park next Saturday. If you want to swing by the track you can see what it's all about.

JP

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  rygroves Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi JP,
Thanks for the invite , I do like Putnam. Sorry I will be in NYC next weekend

rygroves

Back to top Go down

JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 Empty hello jpkinerk, I'm new to the conversion board. I see that you had some parts for sale a couple months ago. I'm also just north of cincy. I have a1981 924 that I'm building a mild 406 sbc to install it into the 924. So i'm in need of alot of parts

Post  924sbc406 Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

jpkinerk wrote:Well, I haven't started the transplant from my 85.5 to the 87, but only because (of course) the 85.5 is finally running right, at least for the track. It's still plagued with some electrical issues and fumes in the cabin, but damn is it fast! Here's some pics from Putnam Park the other weekend. Heading to Mid-Ohio June 10th, and then I'll think about starting the swap...maybe...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

924sbc406

Back to top Go down

JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 Empty JP's LS1 (now L92) Build: Part Deux

Post  jpkinerk Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:05 pm

So here's where I've been:
R1 - threw in used LS1 with 80k, ran one track weekend, clutch wasn't up to it
R2 - rebuilt LS1 into 383 rwhp monster, Spec clutch, oil cooler, blew it up

Where I'm going:
For my second iteration of the car, I'm tearing everything down since I actually love the way it handles and brakes, and painting the car before throwing in the rebuilt L92 I'm picking up in MI in a few weeks. Among the many little things I'm reworking to be cleaner/better before paint, a big one was getting my 6"5" frame lower in the car so I could use my race seats. Today, we started the process. What you see here was a cut behind the rear mounting point for the seat bracket. The floor was then hinged to gain about 3" of headroom. It worked really well. My friend will be boxing this in so it's safe and tidy.

The car is at my buddy's garage since it's bigger than mine. Overall we'll be improving...
- driver fitment
- new aluminum dash
- replace all the body wiring with something simpler
- new engine harness (maybe Holley w/ self tuning)
- paint
- new glass and door seals
- adding v-band clamps
- possibly adding LSD

Wish us luck!

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:32 pm

All welded up. Headroom mod complete. On to stripping the car for paint!

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 pm

With the "headroom mod" complete, we're on to hanging the fenders along with the new (to me) hood and new hinges (necessary because my previous flip up hood indecent). Anyway, it's all looking much better than it ever has, so we're onto stripping everything out from under the hood and then we'll paint the engine bay before installing the reworked L92 I'm picking up in MI in a couple weeks. More pics to come!

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:10 pm

About to dig into the major body work, but in the meantime here is the L92 all together and ready for the engine dyno. I sent up new/used accessories up to the guy I bought it from in MI. He works at Prefix Motorsports (official Viper tuner) and was kind enough to throw it on the dyno before I come pick it up. It has an LS9 cam and springs, everything else is "stock" and reworked such as new pistons, rings, etc. I'll be running an LS3 intake and Holler Sniper EFI 92mm throttle body, but the carb was fine for a tune I figured. Less I had to ship up there.
We'll see what she does!

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  Public_Neudity Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:04 pm

I was looking at the Holley Sniper low profile manifold with the 92mm TB, have you had a chance to test fit your intake setup under the hood to check for clearances?

Public_Neudity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 am

Public_Neudity wrote:I was looking at the Holley Sniper low profile manifold with the 92mm TB, have you had a chance to test fit your intake setup under the hood to check for clearances?

The holley sniper intake, or any aftermarket intake, won't fit under the stock hood. The stock LS1 intake and throttle body require some clearancing on the throttle body and some of the hood brace usually has to be cut out where it sits over the throttle body. The holley Sniper low profile intake is about 2" taller than the LS1 intake. Holley calls it low profile because it's shorter than their standard Sniper.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Sorry for the delay. Work travel. Anyway, I'm using the Sniper EFI TB, but stock LS3 intake. As mentioned above, the Sniper EFI low profile intake won't fit under the hood (without modification) even with the crossmember spaced down 1/2 inch. Hope this helps!

Public_Neudity wrote:I was looking at the Holley Sniper low profile manifold with the 92mm TB, have you had a chance to test fit your intake setup under the hood to check for clearances?
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 am

My FAST92 intake fit underneath the hood without any issues...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm

docwyte wrote:My FAST92 intake fit underneath the hood without any issues...

What did you do to make it fit? Literally every car i've swapped, the stock intake and throttle body hit the hood. And I use the 1/2" crossmember spacers.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:48 am

I had 1/2" cross member spacers too. I had no issue with the stock LS6 intake hitting, I did have to shave down the throttle body some and take away some of the hood bracing. The FAST92/92 fit without any issues, same modifications as stock.

If you put in the "photobucket" picture patch you should be able to see all the pictures in my build thread, it'll show what I did.

Unfortunately its just too much work for me to go back through my build thread here and on Rennlist and repopulate all the pictures off Photobucket...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Wed May 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Interior is out and the car is 85% stripped. Down to the dirty work now with stripping off old insulation and wiring I won't be needing, so it's going kinda slow. I did get the TPC pan and the rest of the LS3 stuff on my L92. Hopefully more progress soon!

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:49 pm

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  87944turbo Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

JP, great to see you posting and nice to see progress on the car!

87944turbo

jpkinerk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Hello everyone,

So the odyssey continues... I'm sad I haveb't been active on the forum that last several years, but multiple job hops and opportunities took my time and priority. Through all the change though, (sold my CTS-V, ZO6, 944S, bought a Chevy SS Rolling Eyes) my little old $800 944 I found sitting in a field remains. Hard to believe it's been 7 years since I started with version 1.0

Anyway, enough nostalgia. Things are really picking up at my buddy Dan's garage with the paint, and we'll be reassembling soon. Once it's a roller, it will go to my garage for wiring, interior, plumbing, etc. So between now and the next May I should be back on more frequently.

Here are the major updates;

• Pulled the trigger on a low mileage AOR
    Made the call to strip the car and go aftermarket engine harness and universal body wiring kit
    Pulled off all the old plasti-dip (never again)
    Dan hit the body work and we all hit the sanding
    Decided on "Nardo Grey" for the color
    Graphed in a naca duct (just because)

Pics to enjoy!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

[url=https://servimg.com/view/18460811/139][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

smkn951 likes this post

Back to top Go down

JP's LS1 Conversion  - Page 2 Empty New year updates!

Post  jpkinerk Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:31 pm

Hello Hybrid gang! Some more progress photos to share with ya'll. I was fortunate over the holidays to have some time off, so my buddy Dan and I hit a little re-assembly. The car has yet to be buffed and panel gapped, but the paint is done. We also undercoated the car with a black bed-liner-like sealant. It doesn't lay as heavy, but is good for going over previous undercoating like on a 944. It was in good condition overall (just dirty) so we didn't see any reason to remove it or paint over it with actual bed-liner. Hope everyone is doing well!

Well for starters I did a core-trade in with Bud Hoffman's torque tube rebuild service. Bud is detailed-oriented, a long-time 944 owner/racer and just an all-around solid guy to do business with. He's in Cleveland so my gf and I made a day trip and swapped out torque tubes. Worth every penny; Bud did a great job! From there, I did a quick cleanup to the AOR, put all new Only944 short shifter and linkage kits on it, and a solid/red poly trans mount from XSChop.

Next up we mocked up the Koni single adjustable struts and 87 NA spindles. I'm running 250lbs springs currently, with 28mm torsion bars in the rear. We had the high-strung 944 tubular control arms mocked up, but had to take them off to make some adjustments. I also had the crossmember sand blasted and then coated with some VHT ceramic paint. Also in prep for attaching to the engine for install, I went ahead and put new motor mount bushings in from TPC.

Prepping for engine install, we did have to commit somewhat of a sin to TPC beautiful ceramic coated headers. When I ordered these (two versions of my car ago), I had traditional exhaust flanges put on. I've since learned the error of my ways, so I wanted to switch to v-bands. Of course we had to remove some of the ceramic coating and cut off the flanges, but I think we did an OK job of sealing everything back up.

On the engine bay side of things, a few items needed to be checked off the list before engine install as well; 1. being the clutch slave cylinder and 2. the gold heat shield I've always wanted because I think it looks cool. I completely butchered the heat shield install, so please don't harp on me too much ;-). When the car is totally assembled, I think it will look OK. I know now how I would install it next time, but it's too expensive (as a vanity item in this case) to redo. As for the slave cylinder, you'll see I have the spring removed for proper measurement against the clutch assembly, once the flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate installed on the engine. I'll also be adding a Tick Performance remote bleeder to the clutch before we stab in the engine.

Lastly (for now), we got the crossmember and headers installed on the engine. I like to lay the entire assembly on the ground underneath the car, lower the car over the engine/crossmember assembly and then use an engine leveler and hoist to pull it up into place. +1 for an engine leveler. I used it last time and turned a two-man job into a one man job, and with better results in my opinion!

And that's it for now! Hopefully next post will be with the drivetrain and suspension all in place, and the paint with it's final buff. From there we'll be working on a custom fiberglass dash, which I'll be sure to share details of soon.

Oh and some bonus images/question...does anyone know what this plastic ring is that comes with C5 slave cylinders? Does it have to be used? It's always falling out during install and such a pain to watch out for. Also, which way does it fit into the slave cylinder, rounded side of the ring out or in? Thanks and hope everyone enjoyed the photos (('m trying to get better at documentation)!
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next