944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Adapter plate
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptyToday at 9:35 am by sepheroth86

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptyYesterday at 8:32 am by Rob44

» Fesler Saratoga Top
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 am by JW1970

» Parts availability for general maintenance?
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm by zenon

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 pm by zenon

» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am by SpeedRacer11

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am by Raymond-P

» Best engine uprights/plates
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm by Raymond-P

» Rear coilover suspension setup
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 pm by ThomasJoseph315

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine

3 posters

Go down

New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine Empty New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine

Post  tecsun Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Technically it's not exactly a new build as I've been slowly building this the last few months. I'd say I'm about halfway done by now, just been too lazy to create a thread to be honest. I've learned a lot of invaluable info from you guys and TPC has been an outstanding resource for parts and info. I plan to post info and pictures when I can so hopefully it can help others as I have been helped by following others' builds. Please feel free to provide input, tips, tricks, or just any random comment, they're all appreciated. My car is a 1986 951, has kinda the usual suspension, stereo, brakes, etc that most of us have upgraded during the course of ownership. So far I've acquired an 75k 2004 GTO pullout with all front accessories and an f body wiring harness. From what i can tell this engine is in great shape( kind of a leap of faith buying an already pulled engine as most of you know), but everything seemed on the up and up. All cylinder walls still have great cross hatching and no real signs of abuse that i could readily notice. Rps cyn r g segmented flywheel with pressure plate that I've sent out and had the plates replaced. I put in a Texas speed 228R cam (288/288 .588/.588 114lsa) with springs and rods and new timing chain. A set of motor mounts and the new oil pan from TPC, as well as his pilot bearing and adapter. I also went with a QuickTime bellhousing. Enough with the text, I'll get what you guys all came here to see, the pictures! (not sure why but the right side of all the pictures got a little cut off, still show most of what I wanted to though. And yes the dates are way off)

Engine getting its new parts
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

QuickTime bellhousing getting test fit to the TT.

A view to give a little approximation of where the driveshaft sits in relation to the bh mounting surface, more about this later.

BH with scatter shield mounted along with the engine mounts and new oil pan.

From the driver's side.

Close up of oil filter location and vdo pressure sender which was easy to install on the stock piece once drilled and tapped. Yet another great suggestion from Eric!

I discovered that with the scatter shield in place the extra few millimeters it pushes the TT away from the engine make the driveshaft snout not contact the pilot bearing as much as I would like it to so I'm either not going to use it or just cut it and use the bottom part that doesn't cause a shim effect between the engine and BH.

Right now the engine is mounted in place so I can make sure everything physically fits and clears. To Eric's credit, the pan and mounts put the engine just low enough that I'm not going to need spacers. A bit of filing on the top of the TB and trimming a bit from the center hood support and it all clears perfect. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones that it all seems to fit but either way it amazes me to see this engine sitting in the car, it's scary how much it looks like it belongs there. Should have been a factory option!

Also trimmed away the center front support after drilling the welds to remove the stock hood catch.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. Working on making some lines for the hydro boost and gathering parts for the fuel system. Got a set of headers being made by TPC as we speak, can't wait to see how those turn out! Any input on fuel line adapters etc would be appreciated. I'm also looking into what PCM to get and wether or not to venture into the daunting realm of a full tuning program or just get one setup for a basic stand alone type horror tune then get a dyno tune down the road, input very much appreciated if anyone has any on those or other subjects. Thanks and stay tuned!

tecsun

Back to top Go down

New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine Empty Re: New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine

Post  Admin Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Let me see if I can get you the thicker pilot bearing. It will help with the tip of the input shaft.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine Empty Re: New build thread, 951-'04 GTO engine

Post  tecsun Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 pm

I really appreciate it but I'm not attached to the scatter shield so I don't have a problem not running the top half of it. Everything fits perfect without it, I've measured and remeasured about 16 times and I like where everything sits with the current bearing adapter. Thanks for the offer though, and the customer service!

tecsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 pm

No problem, if you don't use the plate, make sure you double check the TB spacing.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 pm

Looks fantastic! Do you plan to run an external oil cooler? Would it be possible with that new filter mount and the pressure sensor? Slick solution for that sender, by the way.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  tecsun Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the sensor placement but that came from Eric, fits that spot like it was made for it. I looks to me like an external cooler would be possible but I can't say for sure, wasn't planning on running one.

tecsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 pm

There is a different mount if you want to run oil lines and cooler. That's the nice thing about the new pan style

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down