944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyToday at 9:56 am by ndog52

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
LM7 Engine Conversion EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LM7 Engine Conversion

3 posters

Go down

LM7 Engine Conversion Empty LM7 Engine Conversion

Post  wbalcom Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Maybe this is covered in another topic, so let me know if I need to move it.

I am considering a 5.3L LM7 motor from a Tahoe/Silverado/etc, and was wondering if the accessories will fit in the 944 engine bay. Are the locations much different from an LS1?

The reason I ask is because I have found much better deals and availability of these motors over the trans am/corvette pullouts.

I know the half-ton trucks have larger engine bays, so the design of the accessories may have been more relaxed and roomier.

Let me know what you guys think about fitment and the conversion parts in general (i.e. BH, motor mounts, wiring, accessories, oil pan)

Thanks!

wbalcom

Back to top Go down

LM7 Engine Conversion Empty Re: LM7 Engine Conversion

Post  xschop Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 am

Yeah it fits.... And even drives on ice LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  wbalcom Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:52 am

Had no idea this was here. great job btw, im really into budget builds.

im about to get a complete LM7, so if you have any advice i really appreciate it.

about the accessories, do I need to get F-body brackets for more than just the alternator, or can I modify the existing ones? ( i would assume this requires a custom belt length).

also, still really confused on the bell housing.. do i have to get a corvette bell housing or can i get a regular LSX bell housing? I know the adapter plate from TPC fits well with the corvette C5 housing, but i cant find one, nor do i want to pay that much lol.

I appreciate anything youve got.

Thanks!

wbalcom

Back to top Go down

Post  laptop_geek Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 pm

wbalcom wrote:Had no idea this was here. great job btw, im really into budget builds.

im about to get a complete LM7, so if you have any advice i really appreciate it.

about the accessories, do I need to get F-body brackets for more than just the alternator, or can I modify the existing ones? ( i would assume this requires a custom belt length).

also, still really confused on the bell housing.. do i have to get a corvette bell housing or can i get a regular LSX bell housing? I know the adapter plate from TPC fits well with the corvette C5 housing, but i cant find one, nor do i want to pay that much lol.

I appreciate anything youve got.

Thanks!

I was in the same boat you are. I decided to get the C5 bellhousing and adapter plate. Makes things easy and much less time consuming. You can use the bellhousing off a LT1/SBC, but that requires fab work and ends up with a more complicated system and more weight (but you'll save a few bucks).
laptop_geek
laptop_geek

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Advice....
get it and don't turn back and PLEASE SUPPORT TPC. Get a set of their uprights, C5 adapter, LS pilot bearing and search the junkyards for the 2 piece C5 BH. 1-piece auto if you use a 153T flywheel. ($100-125 is avg)
You can wire your PCM easily with the Diagram I posted. SSP has a 944 Harness or Eric at TPC can mod yours. I would suggest a Fidanza flywheel.... the throttle response is night and day. The modded 2312 headers are good to go and the NA radiator is still cooling my 5.3 easily.
Another benefit is no warm up time with the iron block and if you boost it, no worring about cracking the block or dropping a sleeve into the crank. The F-body accesories work, you'll have to change the crank pully to F-body. I do have a bracket to put the truck alternator offset to the driver's side head and has the capability to mount the 944 PS pump, it just gets more costly because the custom PS pully needed.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  wbalcom Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:21 pm

so just changing the crank pulley to an F-body is not enough? I will also need to relocated the alternator to driver's side head correct? Also it seems that converting to manual steering, while appealing, will be more money than just utilizing the power steering pump from the LM7 and existing PS hose.. and if this is the case, will the PS pump also need to be relocated with an F-body bracket? I am okay without A/C right now, so I will just take it off and hopefully the motor will fit.

Does the oil filter on the LM7 need to be relocated?

I am trying to get things straight so that the LM7 will drop in and clear. I realize I will need to put on an LS1 intake and add spacers to drop the X-member.

Its nice that you have had luck with a NA radiator, will help shave some money off the total. I have talked to Eric at TPC about modifying my harness and was shocked how low his price is compared to some scammers I have met recently.

My only other worries are the clutch and brakes. I assume the clutch pedal adjustment will follow the diagram but do the master/slave need to be relocated? Do I need to buy a relocation kit?

My transaxle was claimed to have been replaced with a freshly rebuilt Turbo transaxle, but I havent looked into it.

Thanks again!

wbalcom

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 pm

NO, just get the entire F-body serp setup and F-body crank pulley, you'll need a F-body water pump too. With the F-body PS pump, you have to mod the valve inside, it's posted on the board somewhere. You can use the 944 Clutch MC but it is not ideal, High speed RPM shifts are crunchy LOL, get a 13/16" compact wilwood and I have an adapter for it. Just search Clutch master upgrade here, it's all explained....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum