944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyYesterday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube?

3 posters

Go down

Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? Empty Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube?

Post  MotoRider42HC Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:31 pm

A friend and I spent over an hour trying to get the torque tube to mate to the TPC bellhousing/clutch thingy. We worked and worked and worked, and nothing would make it budge.

We lubed the splines, the clutch disc is properly aligned, the pilot bearing is installed correctly.

We just can't get the thing to go in!!!

Anyone have tips or hints or "this trick always works" kind of advice?

Anything! Haha. Thanks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? Empty Re: Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube?

Post  Raymond-P Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:20 am

OK...so I have yet to do this on my project but I can tell you from prior clutch replacement experience that the splines on the driveshaft MUST be EXACTLY inline with the splines on the clutch plate. There is very little tolerance in this fit.

Since the clutch plate is tight and will not move unless the engine is rotated, the traditional method is to rotate the drive shaft ever so slightly and try again....and again....and again until it's right on. If indeed you have all the correct components, this is just a matter of precise alignment.

I imagine the engine is not yet fully mounted and the TT is still attached to the transaxle. If this is so, you can rotate a wheel to get the desired driveshaft movement for alignment.

I hope this helps!!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube? Empty Re: Tips For Mating The Engine To Torque Tube?

Post  MotoRider42HC Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am

It turns out i was trying to install the engine in the wrong order. Someone just told me you have to bolt the bellhousing to the torque tube, then you have to bolt the engine to the bellhousing. LOL. I spent half a day struggling with it for no reason... Haha
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  majormojo Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:40 pm

I did mine as you describe - bellhousing to TT then mate to engine - and it still took the better part of a morning for 3 of us to get it mate up. As stated the tolerances are very close. It helped to have a balance bar on the engine hoist, a jack under the engine and another jack under the torque tube so we could manipulate all the angles to get clutch and driveshaft splines to line up. Good luck!
majormojo
majormojo

Back to top Go down

Post  MotoRider42HC Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:35 pm

OUCH! affraid
MotoRider42HC
MotoRider42HC

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:06 pm

Just wondering how you made out??

I did a dry run hook-up on my drive train and found I needed to ream the mounting holes on the torque tube mounting flange in order to make the connection to the bellhousing adapter plate.  

As I mentioned before, it only takes the slightest "miss-alignment" to prevent a successful insertion of the driveshaft splines in the clutch.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down