944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Intermittant complete elecrical outage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Intermittant complete elecrical outage

4 posters

Go down

Intermittant complete elecrical outage Empty Intermittant complete elecrical outage

Post  acorad Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm not an electrical whiz so help me out with this one.

From time to time, say every couple days or so, I'll be driving along and for a split second my entire electrical system shuts down. The engine stutters, the radio goes dead, the "!" Actung sign comes on, etc. All of this just for a second, and then everything is back to normal as though it never happened.

Sometimes/mostly it happens when I go through a slight dip in the pavement and the car is pressed down a little for a second or so on the shocks.

A loose connection? What connection would make the whole electrical system blink?

Any ideas?

Andy
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Intermittant complete elecrical outage Empty Re: Intermittant complete elecrical outage

Post  Arthropraxis Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Check the battery terminals, maybe a clamp is loose. The constant power from the + terminal going to the fuse box may be something else to look at.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Intermittant complete elecrical outage Empty Re: Intermittant complete elecrical outage

Post  Techno Duck Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:54 pm

I would start with battery cables, in particular the main chassis ground.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks guys, the clamp to the negative terminal did seem a little loose, so I tightened it. Pretty basic, I hope that was the problem.

Andy
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Some thoughts!!

A car can run with its battery's positive or negative terminals disconnected, that's how I test alternators, remove one battery terminal and if the motor still runs, the alternator is OK.

Since the motor and alternator grounds are independent of the battery's ground, an interruption in the battery's ground should not affect the motor unless you were ruining AC, lights, E.T.C. and the alternator could not power the car without the battery.

Bad battery terminal connections normally prevent good starting but don't prevent the motor from running.

The alternator, battery and starter all share the same positive circuit that then goes to the fuse box. Check continuity from battery to alternator, battery to fuse box, you should wiggle those wires while testing.  A bad connection from battery to fuse box could cause total failure.

Also, if your positive wires meet at the battery as shown in the diagram, make sure that are well connected because that is the distribution point shown in the diagram.

Here is the wiring diagram for a 1984 944, I am not sure if its different for an 86+. Take a look at the junction where all positive wires meet, you could be the problem where your main feed goes into the fuse box.

Intermittant complete elecrical outage 944_8410
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Thanks pormgb!

Andy
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down