944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944 Turbo TPC Radiator Install Help Needed
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyYesterday at 10:41 pm by MotoRider42HC

» Best engine uprights/plates
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyYesterday at 10:12 am by Nath1142

» LEAKING TPC HYDROBOOST
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm by lowform

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyMon Apr 22, 2024 7:12 pm by lowform

» Fesler Saratoga Top
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Hydroboost fitting help EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Hydroboost fitting help

+3
fliermike45
948inVA
Porch
7 posters

Go down

Hydroboost fitting help Empty Hydroboost fitting help

Post  Porch Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm getting close to done with my hydroboost swap, and boy has it been an adventure! Smile

One question: the auction i got this from a million years ago claimed that i was getting all the lines and fittings needed, but i'm not really sure which one belongs in the aluminum block along the side that then goes down to the rack. Reference pictures:

In this hole (the one center of the picture, on the aluminum block):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is this the correct fitting?

It threads in just fine, but doesn't seem to bottom out, which is slightly concerning. I searched around and it seems that most people are just buying adapters for AN lines, but i'm really close and i'd rather not make a complete change if i don't have to!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Hydroboost fitting help Empty Re: Hydroboost fitting help

Post  Porch Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:50 pm

One other question, while i'm asking:

I had this line made up with my last power steering setup. The connector was used on a line that had rubber inside, some steel weave, and then a cloth weave on top of it.

Now i'm thinking about re-using this line and connector with the mustang setup. It has a rubber line with a tough cloth weave on top (as seen in the picture), and it is the same OD, but a slightly larger ID (about 9.4mm, versus 8.0mm with the line they supplied).

I connected the two of them and it seems very tight, and i can't pull the two apart no matter how hard i try, but it did concern me a little.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:05 pm

The high pressure in to the HB unit should be 18mm, but the fitting you posted looks like what I have for the high pressure out line (16mm). Either way, you can't really mix them up so if they gave you the 2 correct lines then they should work. Also, they're o-ring fittings so they should swivel a bit..
948inVA
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Hydroboost fitting help Empty Hydroboost plumbing

Post  fliermike45 Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:33 pm

I used AN swivel fittings and adaptors.

I have purchased truck coils and have yet to fit them as the current coil position blocks access to the rear plug leads under the HB unit.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Yeah this is for the high pressure out. I do have the correct high pressure in.

It is a 16mm and it threads in fine, but it doesn't bottom out and i wasn't sure what the fit should feel like. I just found this ebay ad and from the picture it looks like i'm using the correct fittings, but i wanted to make sure. I also wanted to double-check that there wasn't supposed to be some kind of brass fitting down in the hole or something...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Will the truck coils work with hydroboost?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Ah ok.. I see that the forum software cropped your photo, which changed which one was in the center of the photo! My 16mm fitting was loose also, so I added a 16mm crush washer just in case and it sealed up fine.

948inVA
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:06 pm

supes6 wrote:Ah ok.. I see that the forum software cropped your photo, which changed which one was in the center of the photo! My 16mm fitting was loose also, so I added a 16mm crush washer just in case and it sealed up fine.

Haha, yeah the forum does have a tendency to chop things off!
Alright, great to know! That just leaves one line left to deal with. I might get to drive this thing before it starts snowing! Laughing
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:Will the truck coils work with hydroboost?

I don't see why not! They're not as broad as the LS1 coils.
I was going to pick some up, but i did some reading on them. According to most people on the LS forums they don't really do anything until you hit the 700-ish horsepower range, so i passed. The truck coils are supposed to be good, but there are supposedly some better ones. Do your research, i didn't bookmark the page...
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:15 am

I have the truck coils on my car to clear my dual MC setup. I didn't know that they would clear the body of the HB system. Now that I have been driving the car daily, HB is looking more appealing. My brakes have plenty of power but not the bite, they need to build the power quicker. The manual brakes would be great on a track where the braking points are anticipated.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  orangealfa Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:15 am

On the Ford Hydro Boost systems the lines swivel. They do not bottom out. There is supposed to be a white nylon O ring just under the "nut" part and above the threads. You will see sort of a groove there where it sits. They are generally square cut. This seals the threads when the nut fitting is tight. The line itself has a double O ring inside it that is compression. People used to the old style flair fittings usually get nervous with these! If you need the nylon seals for the hoses, they stock them at your local ford dealer. Normal routing from Ford is P/S pump to booster pressure IN... Booster pressure OUT to Steering Rack IN...Then Return from Rack to pump reservoir. There is also usually a small return to an auxiliary return port on the pump reservoir.

orangealfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks orangealfa. I'm going to pick up a new nylon o-ring and get this last line made, and i should be set!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Hydroboost fitting help Empty Ford HB Lines being made to fit LS3 conversion.

Post  IFC Racing Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Porch wrote:Thanks orangealfa. I'm going to pick up a new nylon o-ring and get this last line made, and i should be set!

Hello, Could you get 2 lines made at the same time, I'll take one line or both lines if possible. I'm working back on the LS3 V8 conversion again. I'm thinking of using the ford HB system also.
Many thanks,
Mike

ps. I'm a newbie on here now, but it sure looks like I wont be soon.

IFC Racing

Back to top Go down

Post  IFC Racing Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:26 pm

fliermike45 wrote:I used AN swivel fittings and adaptors.

I have purchased truck coils and have yet to fit them as the current coil position blocks access to the rear plug leads under the HB unit.

Hello Mike, Your work always looks great, could I just send the yellow beast down to you for the winter, and pick it up looking like yours in the spring. Very Happy

Mike

IFC Racing

Back to top Go down

Hydroboost fitting help Empty Standards

Post  fliermike45 Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 pm

Mike,
I'm a Licensed Aircraft mechanic amongst other things and try to apply aviation standards, fittings and hoses where ever possible. Nice thing about AN fittings and hose is that you can make them up in your own worshop without special tools.
Regret my car is in FL and I'm currently flying around the LA/AL coast. I live in New Orleans and the roads are in such a terrible condition I would not expose my 948 to them. I'm driving my V6 MGB GT with coil over 4 link rear end and hope it's going to stand up to the beating.
Mike

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Mike, where did you find the lines? I have been looking for some and can't find them in black, only blue.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  rooster Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Anthro, have you tried talking to a local shop that makes replacement hydraulic hoses for construction equipment, bobcats, snow plows, etc.? For my hydro boost lines I went to a such a place, told them what I was doing and they were happy to help. Basically I used fuel hose to mock up the lines length and the angle of the 90 fittings relative to the hose (this is important because hydraulic hose does not twist much) then took them back to the shop to have the AN fittings pressed on. The same store was also a great source for miscellaneous brake line fittings, 3 way T and other stuff I needed for the hydro boost.

rooster

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I can get the stainless hoses from Summit. Dealing with people around here is less than satisfying.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 pm

IFC Racing wrote:
Porch wrote:Thanks orangealfa. I'm going to pick up a new nylon o-ring and get this last line made, and i should be set!

Hello, Could you get 2 lines made at the same time, I'll take one line or both lines if possible. I'm working back on the LS3 V8 conversion again. I'm thinking of using the ford HB system also.
Many thanks,
Mike

ps. I'm a newbie on here now, but it sure looks like I wont be soon.
Sorry, i don't have any spares to start with! I would wait until you get farther along, you might have to run the lines a different way or get a different connector for the LS3.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Hydroboost fitting help Empty Lines

Post  fliermike45 Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Aeroquip Black Aircraft lines I also saw some black in my local NAPA store

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum