944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate

+3
87-944S
944convert
cfgioja
7 posters

Go down

Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate Empty Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate

Post  Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:14 pm

I was surfing the net and found some pictures of someone performing this task.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate Empty Re: Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate

Post  cfgioja Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Thats alwesome, I never could picture where the plate went, but pictures are worth more than a thousand words.

So I just have to take the 5the gear assembly apart again and install that plate and it helps alot?

Thanks for the post
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate Empty Re: Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate

Post  944convert Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:00 pm

and you mill 1/4" off the cover:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Here's the same instructions in a pdf file

87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 pm

One of the typical failure modes of the AUDI 016/083 is that the rear pinion bearing pushes through the rear housing. This is a product of drag race starts. The plate pretty much eliminates this.
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate Empty Installation of the TRANSAXLE case reinforcement plate

Post  Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Took the the rear housing to a machine shop today and was very surprised when I was quoted a price of $160 to mill 1/4" off. Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:55 pm

I haven't torn into the back, but from all the pics of the plate swap. I would venture to say that a spacer the exact thickness of the plate can be made to go in between the shaft and the inner half of the angular contact bearing....No milling of the plate required. Can somebody confirm this?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:42 pm

It is my understanding from the pictures the aluminum end cover has to be milled 1/4" to offset the thickness of the reinforcement plate.

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 pm

If you look at the pic the angular contact race looks like it can be spaced out 1/4 to 5/16 inch. If this is true, then the housing does not have to be milled. IMO the milling of the housing weakens it at the base...
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Took the the rear housing to a machine shop today and was very surprised when I was quoted a price of $160 to mill 1/4" off. Any suggestions?

This sounds to me like they don't want to do the job. The machinist at work told me that it would be a very easy job, maybe 1/2 hour. I was just curious because I am not using one of those transaxles.

As for what xschop stated, I don't know. I haven't looked at one of these for a couple of years.

v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:53 am

If the base is not set up properly and perpendicular, then the milling plane will be off kilter and guide pins will enter at a slight angle and the 2nd outter half of the angular contact bearing will wear out prematurely. That set up time sounds overkill, but who knows. Check another machinist. But this is how I'm going to go about the task when I get ahold of a turbo tranny....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:06 pm

I have a question in concern to the schematic in the manual for this plate.

It shows a hole on the left side .3346 Dia x 7
one hole .4723 in dia
.5569 dia x 3

thats 11 holes but there are 13 holes all together other than the big cut outs for teh 5th gear set.

can someone help
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:59 pm

I have not installed my plate yet but the two extra holes maybe for the dowels.

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:40 am

That's an interesting idea, xschop. However, from what i've seen from doing four 5th gear swaps...i don't think there is 1/4" of room there.

Also, one or two of the rods that the shift fork rides on use the back cover for support.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:31 am

Hey Porch, looking inside the housing, does it look like a 1/4" to 1/2" THICK bridge can go across the top of the gear inside the housing and connect the reinforcement plate? I thought about the shift rods and wasn't sure if the rear alloy housing was an end guide. I would just copy the end extension that I would have to make to screw into the back of the Reverse Rod switch mechanism and do those the same way with loc-tite after drilling and tapping the rods.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:54 am

Hmm, i'm a little confused about what you're asking about. Can you draw me a picture of what you're suggesting? Here's my pics if they help:

Looking at the pictures, i think i might be wrong about one of the shift rods going into the rear cover. However, i seem to recall there being something in the back of it...

Edit: yeah, here you go:
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 am

Is the smaller helix gear the actual 5th or the 5th counter? Whatever it's called, I'm going to machine my plate to incorporate a bridge over that gear that will make the reinforcement plate where it will not flex under load, That's where the rear pinion shaft wants to push out under acceleration and the cast part breaks....I need to find a good turbo tranny
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am

It's the counter.
I've got a Turbo trans on ebay right now Surprised
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:49 am

If my Bare Bones install kit sells, I'll get your tranny from you. Free shipping to OKC?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:11 pm

I have realized that after taking this schematic to the local shop to have a suggested price done for the plate. The schematic is missing alot of information.

It still is shy two hole measurements and all of the outside measurements and radi.

It has the full width and hieght of the outside but nothing else.

Can I either get someone to get me a good copy of schematics that I can have machined without paying double for them to figure out the angles.

Or

Can someone make a duplicate plate for me? I will see if I can get ahold of Greg too, he has one on his site.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeah, the ebay price is free shipping to anywhere in the lower 48. Oh, and there's someone in the FS section of the board who wants the 5th gear out of it in trade for an N/A gear + cash.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:56 pm

I need to know one the chematic, the holes that are cut to go around the fifth gear set has two deminsions. I am not sure if that is a step in the metal or an angle? Can someone assist please?
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 am

Where is this schematic found at? Is there some reason that thicker plate could not be used? Like maybe 3/8 plate? I could not see any issues that stood out at me? How many people have done this modification so far?

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:38 am

the schematic is in the manual greg sloan makes.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down