944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Which engine version is easier to install and to get working EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Which engine version is easier to install and to get working

4 posters

Go down

Which engine version is easier to install and to get working Empty Which engine version is easier to install and to get working

Post  kelleysj Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:25 am

Im beginning the 944 conversion and want to buy the engine but not sure which engine i should get. I know the LS1 is aluminum and light with a bit more horsepower and the LT engines are cast iron more weight. I have a regular N/A 944 1988 so suspension wise does it matter with my car which i pick? Another question i have is will a full crate engine be a good investment or should i build the engine from the block up? I have seen alot of guys say they wish they would of built the engine themselves if they could of turned back time. And my final question is just from what you guys know since you are the SME's (Subject Matter Experts) what version of the engine is just right and what is overkill i.e LT1 LT4 LS1 LS2 LS3......Ect. Thank you very much i bought the manual and im waiting for it to arrive.........I have plenty of time to figure things out do to im in Afghanistan for a few more months with the Army.
kelleysj
kelleysj

Back to top Go down

Which engine version is easier to install and to get working Empty Re: Which engine version is easier to install and to get working

Post  Dawgz83948 Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 am

I installed the LT1 in my car and love it. The LS breathes better so it produces a bit more power and is lighter. You can't really go wrong with either motor. You can buy better parts if you rebuild the motor yourself. When my motor gets tired I'm buying the rebuild kit and sending the block off to a machine shop and reassembling it myself. It will be about the same cost as a crate motor, but it will live longer and have more power.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Which engine version is easier to install and to get working Empty Re: Which engine version is easier to install and to get working

Post  kelleysj Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks Dawgz......did you buy new or how many miles did your LT1 have on it.
kelleysj
kelleysj

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:38 pm

It had 36000 miles on it when I bought it. I've had the heads off twice now and you can still see the hone marks in the cylinder walls and was pretty smooth.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 pm

You can't go wrong either way. It's all about how much you want to spend.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  kelleysj Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Im leaning toward the LS side. I did find an LT1 out of a 97 camaro WS6 SS its 1300 complete. It says it only reads 285 HP on the dyno but hopefully being rebuilt and modding it could push 360 or close.
kelleysj
kelleysj

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Why bother buying something that needs a rebuild? Get something with low mileage and go from there, unless you get a really smoking deal on something that's worn out.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm

To answer your question, the easiest motor to install is the one that does not need to be installed. LS or LT will require the same steps to install, although the LT with a non slave/throw out bearing combo is the easiest (Old style with the external slave)
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  kelleysj Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the info if you have any other info for starters that would be much appreciated.
kelleysj
kelleysj

Back to top Go down

Post  kelleysj Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:47 pm

I just bought a LT1 rebuilt with the following: ENGINE HAS THE ROLLER CAM AND ALL THE PARTS TO PUT IN A STREET ROD OR BACK IN A VETTE OR CAMARO. IT HAS BEEN BORED ......030 WITH HYPERTECH PISTONS--A REGROUND CRANKSHAFT--NEW OILPUMP-TIMING CHAIN---GEARS-- COMPLETE VALVE JOB-AND ALL OTHER PARTS TO MAKE CHANGEOVER--INCLUDED IS MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR THE AC -PS PUMP ---PS PUMP---AIR-CONDITION COMPRESSOR WITH LINES---OIL COILER LINES---EXHAUST MANIFOLDS WITH EGR VALVE AND ALL HOSES AND FENDER MOUNT ACCESSORIES---MOUNT BRACKET FOR THE ECM-COMPUTOR---WITH COMPLETE WIRING HARNESS WITH FUSE BOX AND WIRING TO FIREWALL---NO CUTS OR SPLICES IN IT--FLYWHEEL---PS RESERVOIR--IDLER PULLEYS--BRACKETS--VACUUM LINES AND HOSES--DISTRIBUTOR---WATERPUMP ON ENGINE PLUS 2 EXTRA--SP WIRES
kelleysj
kelleysj

Back to top Go down

Post  v8944 Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 pm

i have a feeling you will be happy with that purchase...it will be easy to pick through the items that come with the engine and figure out what you don't need, unlike what i went through not buying a complete engine like that...i had to piece it together with ebay and craigslist parts etc. That was probably the most difficult part of my swap! LS1 vs. LT1 i really have no preference...i would like to get an LS motor in my car one day, just because they have a bit more power stock...but i have a feeling my engine will last long enough that i could have pretty much any other engine ready to go in when my LT1 needs a rebuild.

The one thing that you might want to keep spares of is the optispark distributor...if you can find one at a local junkyard when you get back from overseas it might spare you significant headache if the one on the engine you've bought has been corrupted by water/dirt or if it is an ebay special...i bought an ebay unit and within 5 months it was acting up...not starting occasionally, dying intermittently...finally it gave up the ghost and decided to completely call it quits. I found one in a local junkyard for 24 bucks and it saved me a lot of money.

Headers are also pretty much plug and play with the LT swap, you can buy patriot tight tucks, or various other headers like those made by sanderson. I would suggest you contact the admin (Texas Performance Concepts) about the new tubular crossmember he has developed...it will help quite a lot with mounting the engine for you.

Please, feel free to ask any other questions! we live for this stuff!
Ethan Cooper
v8944
v8944

Back to top Go down

Post  kelleysj Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks Ethan i appreciate that info and it will be used as well if anyone knows good sites for parts...Man i cant wait to tear that 4 banger out and start preping the body for the LT1. This is a great forum i am very impressed thanks for all the help.
kelleysj
kelleysj

Back to top Go down