944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Other engines EmptyYesterday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Other engines EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Other engines EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Other engines EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Other engines EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Other engines EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Other engines EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Other engines EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Other engines EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Other engines EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Other engines

+9
gamman
Dawgz83948
speedracing944
matthewb
RobotMachines
nyysr
damian
xschop
turbobob924
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Other engines Empty Other engines

Post  turbobob924 Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:44 pm

There was a guy that was doing or did a audi 5 cylinder swap on rennXX boards.

Ford V8

supra motor?

Other ones any has seen or heard of?
turbobob924
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty alt engines

Post  xschop Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:54 pm

I seriously considered putting in a 5 cylinder from the Chevy Colorado.....All the headers exit the passengers side, the oil pan is right and they can be had for $1000 to $1500 with everything...... I just happened upon the 5.3l deal first
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty other engines

Post  damian Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:43 pm

There is a Rover V8 3.5L out there somewhere / I think in a 924.

You can do VR6 swaps but I haven't seen any pictures.

Using the 924's bell housing you could do most any I4 VW/Audi engine (2.0T FSI would probably be a good engine)...

The Audi I5 engines have already been discussed - I've seen picts and they fit nicely. Shorter block than the original motor and yet they still lean over to the passenger side to give room for your brake booster.

At the end of the day though the LS conversions still appear to be the best bang for the buck / especially if you can get your conversion parts cheap.

Damian

damian

http://www.integrityfirstauto.com

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty alt engines

Post  xschop Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:17 pm

I also looked at a VQ35 nissan V6. IIRC a Pathfinder bellhousing would have made the swap possible
The 350Z intake is the lowest one for that engine. IIRC the Bellhousing from the Auto interchanged with the Manual and would have been easy to make an adapter plate for the TT since it is already concentric....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty 2jz

Post  damian Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Not sure if I mentioned previously that I have a great 944 that I just picked up with a blown engine. I did a LS1 conversion in a different 944 and it is a great car. But, with this car, I'd like something different... I've been talking with a dude who really loves Toyota's 2jz - apparently it can be boosted to put out 600-1000 hp before you have to do any work to its internals!

I think it would fit in the 944 / I saw one guy on the web has done it but picts are scarce. Anyone got further info on this kind of swap??

Thanks!

Damian

damian

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty Re: Other engines

Post  nyysr Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:45 pm

damian wrote: I've been talking with a dude who really loves Toyota's 2jz - apparently it can be boosted to put out 600-1000 hp before you have to do any work to its internals!

I think it would fit in the 944 / I saw one guy on the web has done it but picts are scarce. Anyone got further info on this kind of swap??

Thanks!

Damian

roblem isgetting the transax to hold up Sad

nyysr

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty Decided on an AAN

Post  damian Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:08 am

that is true. To update everyone I actually decided to go with an Audi AAN conversion for this car. I think it's going to work out well... It's on hold right now because I'm also working on a VW Beetle restoration that is currently taking all the car-funds but eventually we'll get into this 944.

Damian

[/quote]

roblem isgetting the transax to hold up Sad[/quote]

damian

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 pm

What's the torque on the Audi AAN? HP may not be the issue with a 944 transaxle; V8 torque may be the concern.
RobotMachines
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:09 pm

I know the thread is kinda old but... I have a ford 4.6 DOHC engine in my car. It was a real tight squeeze. I am currently working on making some changes including a stroker kit on my engine making it a DOHC 5.0. Still not gonna match you LSx guys on peak power but hey I have 0.7 liters less displacement. She should run pretty good.

I had considered looking into some honda V-6's when i was searching for an engine. I wanted all aluminum with good stock power. The stock part i guess is out the window now but i did get the all aluminum plus its a pretty cool looking engine. Some of the honda engines, specifically the 3.5 liter, rev pretty high and with their V-tec and stuff make some pretty good numbers. I think they lack a little on the low end torque though.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  speedracing944 Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:52 pm

I have always thought about the 4.2L I6 found in the late model Trailblazer. It is a variable valve timing engine with 295 HP with 300 ft-lbs of torque. I think the torque peaks at about 1400 RPM IIRC. I know the engine is long but radiators can always be relocated freeing up front end space. Imagine what could be done with twin turbos and the ability to have room for vacuum assist brakes.

Speedy:)

speedracing944

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty I5 & I6

Post  xschop Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 pm

In doing my research for an alternative transaxle for the 944, I discovered a CAD file for an adapter that swaps trannies for the GM I5 and I6 engine bellhousings. They use a concentric slave just like the Corvette C5 and the adapter plate I make. This means I wouldn't even need an engine, BH, or Aisin tranny on hand to get the shaft concentric measurement for the 944 TT adapter to I5,I6 Bellhousing. Very Happy
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm

xschop wrote:In doing my research for an alternative transaxle for the 944, I discovered a CAD file for an adapter that swaps trannies for the GM I5 and I6 engine bellhousings. They use a concentric slave just like the Corvette C5 and the adapter plate I make. This means I wouldn't even need an engine, BH, or Aisin tranny on hand to get the shaft concentric measurement for the 944 TT adapter to I5,I6 Bellhousing. Very Happy

What kind of transmissions are those? Are you talking about putting the transmission in the tunnel? Or are they transaxle style transmissions? It seems like the turbo transmissions hold up pretty well for us. It is just that the engines didn't and they were underpowered.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:02 pm

I will stick it in the back and not cut on the tunnel up front. One version I have sketched up has only 10 inches of the tunnel widened under the rear seat. Whatever I do, I do not want to remove the rear torsion tube and cut on it, but I want the axles to sit where the audi box sets them, that's the trick. So far I have an r154 Supra box with a Jeep AX15 4x4 tailhousing and I will have to make a custom shaft and adapter that goes on top the 944 Torsion Tube/suspension tube out about 1 foot to a C5 3.15 R&P axle. I am looking to see if a better/cheaper axle can be found to mate up. I do like the Audi V8 rear axle from the AWD cars because it has a TORSEN differential, but the R&P are higher (4.?) on those....
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm

xschop wrote:I will stick it in the back and not cut on the tunnel up front. One version I have sketched up has only 10 inches of the tunnel widened under the rear seat. Whatever I do, I do not want to remove the rear torsion tube and cut on it, but I want the axles to sit where the audi box sets them, that's the trick. So far I have an r154 Supra box with a Jeep AX15 4x4 tailhousing and I will have to make a custom shaft and adapter that goes on top the 944 Torsion Tube/suspension tube out about 1 foot to a C5 3.15 R&P axle. I am looking to see if a better/cheaper axle can be found to mate up. I do like the Audi V8 rear axle from the AWD cars because it has a TORSEN differential, but the R&P are higher (4.?) on those....

Totally not relevant, but since the 944 trans is an AUDI design, what setup does the Audi Quattro Turbo Coupe have in it? (Yes a video game prompted this question) Is it a tranny or transaxle, and if it's a transaxle can the AWD be adapted?
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  gamman Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Thread drift warning.

I came from the e36 LSx swapped board, and there is no where near the same support as this board, This place is great.

However, one thread I read up last nite, and never noticed before (or ever even heard about it), was a european guy swapped the saab 4 cyl turbo motor from the 90's. I am not trying to troll...seriously. Now that I re-read his post, there is no way this is "affordable" as an LT1 or 5.0 would be. However, 400-500hp doing 200,000 miles is quite a statement. However, LSx's do that I am sure. But, maybe it would be a cheap option (with loads more room for a swap)

quote:
Many reasons.

- immensely strong, even with completely stock internals. Piston upgrade = engine strong enough for at least 700BHP. Above 700, conrod change needed. Nobody ever broke the crank, the most powerful engine ran standard crank and went above 1000BHP on ethanol.
- easy to tune to high power levels with minimal hardware upgrades, which are at least 3x cheaper then upgrading BMW engine to cope with same power
- able to cope with VERY bad fuel quality because of the way ECU senses knock and abnormal engine operation parameters, and automatically compensates for them. Complete safety with bad fuel, in short
- ability to put out high power even with very bad fuel

Crazy saab bmw link
gamman
gamman

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty CAD

Post  xschop Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Get a CAD drawing of that 4-cyl Bellhousing to Saab tranny and the Saab Bellhousing depth. I can knock you out an adapter plate for the 944 Torque tube.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Other engines Empty What involved with putting the Ford engine in?

Post  toyboat Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:53 am

Hi Mattewb,
How did put the Ford 4.6 in? Did you use the TT? If yes, how did you get the TT to connect to the 4.6 bellhousing?

I have a spare 5.0 that I want to use.

toyboat

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 am

a european guy swapped the saab 4 cyl turbo motor from the 90's. I am not trying to troll...seriously. Now that I re-read his post, there is no way this is "affordable" as an LT1 or 5.0 would be. However, 400-500hp doing 200,000 miles is quite a statement. However, LSx's do that I am sure. But, maybe it would be a cheap option (with loads more room for a swap)

Have you ever worked under the hood of a Saab? Evil or Very Mad I doubt that there would be anymore room in the engine compartment after you were done except perhaps for the stock vacuum booster and also I doubt they weigh much less than a LS.
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:25 pm

I had to sqeeuze very tight to get the 4.6 in there since it was the DOHC. Depending on you induction style, the 5.0 should be much easier. I used the stock 4.6 bellhousing from a T-5 trans and had to make a 1" thick spacer/adapter to bolt betwee the tube and the bellhousing. It was pretty simple actually. I had to slide my prop shaft forward a bit and make a longer coupler in the rear.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Look on 924.org. There is a guy with a Mazda rotary. Also, here are two links to two 944's with AUDI 5 cyls. One is big HP.

One [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the other [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  dwayne flodell Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm

mathewb, I have an 85.5 n/a car and am going to purchase a 5.0 Coyote engine new from Ford. Do you know which bellhousing or clutch setup to use? How did you attach the drive line spline? Pics would be cool or any advise would be greatly appreciated. Ford has a hot-rod kit for the wiring for the engine and ecu so that part will be easy. What are you guys doing for the motor mounts? Sorry for all the questions but think that this will be a great swap.

dwayne flodell

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Dwayne,

I think the coyote swap would be sweet as well. I just did a rebuild with a stroker kit making my 4.6 liter into a 5.0. Unfortunately the coyote motor was announced during the build of my engine and I figured it will be pretty expensive to get my hands on one for a while. As I said earlier in the thread, I used a stock 5 speed mustang removable bellhousing with a 1 inch thick adapter on the back of it. I was able to use a stock mustang clutch setup along with a gm hydraulic throwout bearing. I did recently go with an aluminum flywheel with the 11 inch cobra style clutch and had spec clutches make me a custom disk. It works real well. I had to slide the prop shaft forward a little and make an extended coupler for the read. Motor mounts were all my own custom fabrication as well and you will just have to make whatever works for it. I am really interested in your swap if you go forward with it. I am not sure if ford stuck with the same crankshaft bolt flange with that engine or what. I am assuming the same bellhousing pattern and hopefully the same basic external dimensions. I know that intake will be better suited than the mark viii intake I am using. I will see about posting up a few pictures when I get a chance.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Hey Matt, What about the pilot adapter? Also if you made the BH adapter plate 1/2", would the TT shaft not have to be moved forward?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:23 pm

xschop wrote:Hey Matt, What about the pilot adapter? Also if you made the BH adapter plate 1/2", would the TT shaft not have to be moved forward?

There is no pilot adapter need the way I have it setup, in fact the stock 944 pilot bearing fits into the ford crankshaft and works fine. There really is no room for the engine to move back closer to the firewall. I don't remember for sure but I guess it might be possible to make a pilot bearing adapter to move it out but at that point the splines may not be fully engaged. It seems like I had to move the TT shaft at least an inch and a half or two. Don't remember for sure but it was significant. The engine unfortunately is rather large for its relatively small displacement. You also don't want to see what it takes for the brake master to fit. I am running with the lexus ls 430 calipers. They are pretty nice.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 pm

O.K. It's been awhile since I've seen you post. So the I.D. of the 4.6 crank PB is 35mm. How deep is the Ford BH?
Yeah, I am still running the Lexus set-up too. The Carbotech pads bite like crazy. Very Happy
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next