944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
Wilwoods or what? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Wilwoods or what? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
Wilwoods or what? EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
Wilwoods or what? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
Wilwoods or what? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
Wilwoods or what? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
Wilwoods or what? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
Wilwoods or what? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
Wilwoods or what? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
Wilwoods or what? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Wilwoods or what?

+5
xschop
944-LT1
Admin
Vorsche944
cfgioja
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wilwoods or what? Empty Wilwoods or what?

Post  cfgioja Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 pm

I talked to xschop about this but was not sure if anyone has ran into the same situation.

I ran my wilwwods on the 1/1985 body for 3 weeks driven only 7 times total around town. I am purchasing a 1986 Turbo. I know the brakes on Turbos are nice, but I was curious if anyone has tried the wilwoods on a turbo car?

They are extremely light compared to the N/A stock calipers, so they would be even lighter compared to the stock turbo ones. I think they would be a nice addition to the turbo brakes.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Wilwoods or what? Empty Re: Wilwoods or what?

Post  Vorsche944 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:06 pm

I have an 87 turbo and use the turbo calipers, with a Ford GT Hydroboost. It will put your face through the windshield. We first tested the car with manual brakes and it was very evident that power was the way to go. With this much horsepower and performance, weight on the brake calipers if not a concern for me, keeping the car between the lines and out of the ditch are higher priority. IMO, weight on the brakes is getting to far afield for the return on performance specs.
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

http://www.944transformations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Ok. I see what you mean. I talked to you before about your hydro boost. Did you get it working all the way?

what kind of $ did you have to invest on that system?
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Vorsche944 Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:15 pm

it takes a hydroboost and a custom adapter plate,Eric makes these, and the fittings to connect up the PS pump. Are you going to install a PS cooler, then add in the cooler, mountings, and a filter. So price depends.
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:18 pm

I just looked over your post again, I am putting all these pieces together finally from oall the different topics.

Are you two going to be writing up the instructional soon on it? Can you put illustrations in it if you do, please?

Ok so I see that you ran through a filter and cooler. I am lost I do better with pictures than I do with words.

Is the cooler the one off the porsche or does the hydro boost run its own?

In doing this conversion the 1 turn PS pump runs both the brakes and steering? Or are you deleting your power steering?

Where did you get a resevior for the clutch cylinder?
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:29 am

Probably won't see much of a write up on it, Nobody really seem to care what I have to say anyway, so it would be a waste of my time.
We ran the filter to protect the new turn one pump, the cooler can be the factory Porsche or after market, both will work fine. The cooler is plumbed in the system and cools for both the power steering and the hydro boost.
The power steering rung both the pwr steering and the hydro boost, We still have the pwr steering.
We used the factory Mustang master cylinder and reservoir , I got the clutch reservoir from a junk yard off of a Z24 . Came with a bracket and a hose that worked perfect.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:10 am

I wonder if one could run a PS pump, even though he has a manual rack, just to run the hydroboost. I cant see why not but maybe theres something Im not thinking of.
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 am

I have been looking at the turbo brakes on line. It looks like my Wilwoods will be up for sale pretty soon. I am waiting on actually looking at the cars brakes themselves before I confirm that. I will post in the for sale link.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:31 pm

Yes you can run just the hydro boost and not include the pwr steering. The pump is not going to know the difference. It flows enough and has a by pass for excessive pressure. It would be fine!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wilwoods or what? Empty wilwood calps

Post  xschop Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 am

Hey Cf, what size (dia) are the rotors on the early car with those wilwoods? Did you install bigger rotors when you put on the wilwoods?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:32 am

[quoteI wonder if one could run a PS pump, even though he has a manual rack, just to run the hydroboost. I cant see why not but maybe theres something Im not thinking of.
[/quote]

Turbo Bob has been running hydroboost with manual steering for some time. If you have any questions you could ask him.
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 am

Im not really planning on doing that, but just wanted to squeeze the info out of eric.....getting the info out there if others wondered. Thinking aloud. Laughing But now that I know, if I ever decide for more braking, looks like an easy deal. Very Happy
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  turbobob924 Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:27 pm

I second what Vorsche944 said. I have not been using a cooler either but an considering it.
turbobob924
turbobob924

http://www.turbo924.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 am

I'm interested in a hydroboost writeup, if it isn't too much trouble! I don't need every last part #, I'm really just curious what kind of parts and prices we're talking here. Some pictures would help too.
I think i'm going to do the LS430 setup first, but eventually i want to go hydroboost.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:44 pm

Porch,
Don't spend your money or time with the LS430 brakes, If you have turbo calipers the hydro boost will work great and you won't be lugging around those huge calipers.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Hmmm, that is pretty tempting...
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Vorsche944 and I debated over the caliper conversion for a long time, We decided for the minor pad surface area that you would gain, The hydro boost was the better investment.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:44 pm

I talked to the Travis at Rennbay about the Willwoods vs. Turbo brakes

He said as long as I had power behind the Turbo brakes to keep them, but if I was going to keep manual brakes and not run the Hydro setup that the turbos would be too much to use and that the Willwoods would be better.

I plan on the hyrdo swap, I just have to find the parts now. Someone bid on the ones I was looking at on ebay. Grrrrr. I just need to find a yard that has some LS1 parts and GT parts. I need the PS Pump and bracket still along witht eh rest of it.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:53 pm

I think the ls430calipers are pretty good. What is the weight comparison between the ls430 and the turbo calipers? I would think the ls430 calipers would be lighter. What diameter and thickness rotor are the turbo ones? If the lexus ones use a bigger rotor they will provide more stopping. The lexus ones are cheaper as well and you get new ones instead of used turbo oones.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  Vorsche944 Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm

I will chime in here.

Eric and I really discussed at length the options. In the end, we compared he surface area of the pad for the LS, Turbo and 928 and the LS is only 17% larger and if you have the Hydroboost you get the added power. We have been running it for 4 months now and it really stops on a dime. Weight for a daily driver was not really a concern.

What I put into the car is:
Rebuilt Ford GT / Cobra Hydroboost 1999. here is link to guy on Ebay selling them at a good price $149:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2004-Ford-Mustang-Power-Brake-HydroBooster_W0QQitemZ200248924997QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2e9fc41b45

I used a Turn 1 PS Pump. $250. We blew out a GM pump. The Ford Hydro system uses the same flow requirements as the GM pump.

I put a rebuilt PS rack into the car $289 from AllZimm.com. I like new or rebuilt parts once you are in there doing the work, get it replaced.

We custom fabbed the hoses, you have to have special sizes for the Ford.

Also included a PS Cooler and filter. I think the PS cooler was $61 and the filter was $28.

So a brake on brake comparison for PS brakes>
Hydroboost $149
PS Pump $250
Lines and fittings ?
Filter $28
Cooler $61
Calipers ?

You still need to mod the brake pedal and will have to mod the connector to the Hydroboost and pedal.

In the end, brakes are sweet and it looks like it belongs under the hood.
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:30 pm

I got the main hard ware for the setup, I am getting excited of the thought I can heel toe again. It was too hard with manual brakes.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:17 am

I guess for someone who already has a turbo car it is a viable option. It looks as though you already did and still spent about $500 on getting it set up right. I would contend that for someone who has an n/a car it is probably a better route to go to buy the LS calipers because they are relatively cheap compared to a set of used turbo calipers. Both setups need an adapter and from what I saw the adapter is fairly expensive for the turbo calipers unless you are machining it yourself in which case it will be the same cost for the LS caliper adapters. Plus you do get the added 17% pad area which I don't think is as important and rotor thermal capacity. You didn't mention what size rotor the turbo brakes use.

As far as the not being concerned about weight for a street driven car goes, the n/a brakes are sufficient for a street car. Porsche sold them that way and speed limits haven't really gone up much since they were built... as you guys no these conversions really don't add any weight to the overall vehicle. Heck for a street driven car the four cylinder that came in it was just fine.

I guess all I am saying here is that people are trying to improve performance and reliability here at a reasonable price otherwise they would just build up the turbo engine. So in that direction for someone without a turbo car they could pick up a cheaper set of new calipers with a little better braking power rather than the more expensive used set.

Just trying to keep the option open for people and not at all saying the turbo brakes are a bad way to go.

Matt

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  Vorsche944 Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 am

Matt, I hear what you are saying, open dialog to get to better answers and options is always good. Just wanted to post the direction we went and why.

A question for you, if you have to replace the rotors to use the LS and still have to get LS calipers, does that not make the price comparable?
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

Back to top Go down

Post  matthewb Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:21 am

Do the turbo calipers go right onto the n/a rotors? If so I was not aware and in that case the turbo way could be cheaper. Although, if that is the case then I am a little disappointed in the thermal capacity of the turbo system. The ability to absorb and remove heat on a brake system is much more important than the number of pistons or even the pad area. If there was no increase in rotor size or mass then I likely would just stick with n/a brakes rather than upgrade to turbos.

matthewb

Back to top Go down

Post  Vorsche944 Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 am

if i remember right, to put the turbo calipers on the NA, you have to change the hubs, $?. Its always something.

I get the heat dissipation, but are we talking daily driver or track. My set up was daily driver, tracking is a more involved issue with rotors and heat and such.
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum