944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» FS: 1987 951 LS
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyToday at 5:31 am by carr911

» Power Steering Issues
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyYesterday at 1:54 pm by spence

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 7:59 pm by chrenan

» WTB C5 2 piece bell housing
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 1:10 pm by alex456gt

» backwards LS6 intake
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 6:24 pm by murrayg

» Testing the waters. I have a working '83 944 with a '94 LT1 that I want to let go.
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am by Bmillar

» Totalled 1985.5 Porsche 944
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 3:53 pm by Bmillar

» Clutch wont disengage!
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 10:51 pm by RobotMachines

» tachometer
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 am by smkn951

» 86 Porsche 944T LS1 swap begins
stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 9:31 pm by smkn951

September 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

stuart f wright 86 944 w/auto transaxle

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle Empty stuart f wright 86 944 w/auto transaxle

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm

first converted in 2003 with my own adapter using porsche bellhousing flywheel and starter.removed engine after 20000 trouble free miles.engine is an iron block 4bolt main from 73 corvette.scat crank eagle rods ross forged pistons.heads dart sportsman angle plug,elderbrock performer intake elderbrock carb.cam is crane roller 630/630 lift 284/292 dur. crane roller rockers n pushrods.headers homade drivers side and 3rd gen.camaro pass side.msd dist.w/msd digital 6 plus controler 125 hp nos plate with progressive controller .custom built 4 row radiator with 3 fans.transaxle porsche modified 3speed auto with kevlar clutches modifed valve body and tourqe converter flexplate reinforced with stainless steel .paint and body will be done at later date.plan on installing 944v8s adapter with c5 bellhousng early sbc flywheel pressure plate 23 spline clutch disc no throwout bearing dont need one . within next month.inside of car stock for now plan on installing recarro seats i have.it worked great with chevy motor,prices to fix under powered stock porsche motor ridiculasly high.one fun car and ablast to drive.not as nice as some of the other cars ive seen on this forum it started as wifes driver until the 4cyl overheated then it turned into one of my experiments. liked it so much that i bought nother 87 turbo 944 that will get ls3 power.im learnng alot from this one to help me with my next one.there is some very brillant minds on this site that are very helpful and some very nice enginering . keep you posted as i progress

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add)
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle Empty Re: stuart f wright 86 944 w/auto transaxle

Post  stuart f. wright on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 pm

have aquirred more parts for my conversion.got my c5 man bellhousing from corvette forum flywheel presure plate from swap meet engine block at machine shop getting new cam bearings getting ready to order bellhousing adapter.between all the snow we keep getting and ordering parts working my job dealing with kids and working on my favorite ride getting ready 4 summer which is my harley i just might get my 944 done. lol
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

stuart f wright 86  944 w/auto transaxle Empty Re: stuart f wright 86 944 w/auto transaxle

Post  stuart f. wright on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:58 pm

ordered bellhousing adapter from 944 v8s today cant wait im ready to start wrenching
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah, I'm kinda in limo too. Stuff to do but no better motivator than having all the parts you need! I should clean up a steering rack or practice my aluminum welding skills but probably watch Olympics..
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 pm

i welded aluminum and stainless all day aluminum can be tricky what kind of machine you got.i weld for a living if you need any advice.ive been gathering parts for my 944 the last couple hours ang just went through about a grand .looks like yours is coming along pretty good wild bill.looks good
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Yeah! tell me about going through money! I cooked my old machine so had to pick up another one to finish the airboat last year so I picked up a 250 Amp Thermalarc Mig with spool gun. I haven't tried the spool gun yet.. I want to fill holes and build up flanges on that LT1 intake. So I don't need any messing up but I do OK with stainless and did an acceptable job migging aluminum a few years ago. Just need to get in some practice! what alloy wire should I be using? and I have straight argon to practice with. I hear a lot of guys like a little helium mixed in..
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 pm

i always use staight argon with aluminum mig .aluminum seals best with a continual weld .ive welded alot of aluminum and a lot of tanks.every time u stop on a weld it seems to leave a little hole so on a sealing type application i will mig but always run back over it with a tig heli arc.the metal your welding needs to be super clean. i got a lincoln mig with a spool gun attachment and its digital programable.and i have another lincoln digital set up for heli arc and to tig.your project looks to be coming along nicely good craftsmanship.i know you can handle the aluminum from what ive seen ,i bet you cant wait to get on the road.im working on putting my short block together right now .im fabn me som stainless headers with pieces from burns stainless when i get my motor back together.id like to go fuel injected but ive already set up a healthy small block for carb.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:56 am

Stainless pipes! sweet, That's what I have on my airboat however thats one of the few things I bought! I know piecing together stuff frustrates a lot of people but I rather enjoy it.
I pull wrenches on ground equipment for an airline and a lot of it is preventive maintenance which i find somewhat monotonous however I get to do a fair amount of design and fabrication also.
As far as aluminum I don't have a tig so I'll try to keep my runs as long as I can. I'll start by drilling some holes in some 1/2" bar I have and try filling. The other skill I need to master is just build-up so once I have filled all the holes I'll work on the edges. I got myself some new stainless brushes and I also picked up some aluminum cleaner, looks mostly like phosphorus acid.. Good to use? thanks for the info!

Fresh build or just freshening up? Pretty wild combination!!! Mine is MUCH milder but there is always room for improvement right? Yeah I cant wait to get it running, I think it's my summer runner and I'll do body and paint next summer. Looks pretty good as is. Have fun with your assembly, it's always nice to see all that hard earned money come together! Cool the part I hate is the time period between engine assembled and first fire! Roller cam? I went flat tappet so I think i'm actually break the cam in with a carb and then switch to the fuel injection... that's what Megeasquirt recommends anyways!!! have fun!!
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:08 pm

yep this is my 2 nd sbc engine in mine cept this time a lot more grunt.roller cam expensive but easier on the lobes with that much lift.i have many hours fabricating and work on this beast.you will be rewarded with a permanant grin the first time you drive yours.carful on the burnouts ive broken a couple cv shafts on hard launches.aluminum is tricky but once you figure out your machine settings youl have it whipped.looks like you have a helper ive got a couple of m myself.nothing like bonding for a father and son keep up the good work friend.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Can you post some pictures and measure how high you carb is in your engine bay?
I need these measurements to get started on a hood. I think I want to make on that will clear the carb if someone chooses that route.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:08 pm

I should be reinstalling my completed engine in a couple of weeks if that fits your timeline? I imagine Stuart is using your mounts? Mine should be similar in height. LT1 intake fits under hood without hacking hood rib. I will be breaking in my cam with a 600 Holley and Edelbrock Performer EPS before switching to LT1 intake and Megasquirt and would be happy to provide you with some measurements! More info the better right? Cool
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Yes, Thanks

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:27 am

ill have mine in with carb in a couple weeks also .i have my own mounts that i fabricated but im pretty sure they are simular in height.id say a couple weeks but i dont know how long it will take greg to send my bellhousing adapter.i have some pics on my gallery of my engine installed and i will say that the back of my hood had to be trimmed by distribiter for clearance and i have a 6 inch outtlaw cowl scoop to clear carb and it was still tight for air cleaner.proflo elderbrock air cleaner barly fits.i was thinking about using a carb hat with hoses and cone air filter.im running an elderbrock performer intake with a plate nos setup.so my carb sits a little higher than most.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 am

got block back from machine shop and new eagle forged crank came in and my low mount 100 amp alternator water pump kit from jegs.gonna start putting my motor back together.this baby gonna scream.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

getting closer every day .got my new clutch disc in along with brake parts.geting motor redi to assemble waiting for oil cooler parts that should be here tomorrow.waiting for bellhousing adapter to come in.thinking about engine uprights to but id like to bolt motor up first to tourqe tube and see how motor sits.then ill start making my stainless steel headers with parts i got from burns.i made my donation to this forum as i have learned alot as alot from being a member and i hope more of you do to keep this forum alive.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:45 am

got my short block put together this weekend . got to degreed my cam yet.still waiting on some parts to come yet.need my adapter plate so i can do some mesuring. and im thinking about geting a fast fuel injection setup that tunes as you drive with self learing computer.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 am

Hey Stuart! Are you going with the LT1 intake or something a little wilder since you already have the cowl scoop? Tendency for rear cyl's to run a little leaner on LT1 types I read but LS guys are getting some pretty good numbers with little complaints. My engine is together with carb intake. I'm thinking I will do cam break-in before I put it in the car. Just a little more to do to firewall for strength and hydroboost. Aluminum welding turned out great, Intake looks good. Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try the Megasquirt with wide-band O2. Fits my budget better unless I mess up and I have a couple boats I would consider injecting as well if everything works out well... Dust off the soldering iron!
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:21 pm

i got a dusty victor jr in corner of my shed im gonna try with the fast fi setup .like you im gonna break in my cam with my carb first.then ill switch over to fi.the carb i got is already in the ballprk on the jetting ill need for my big nasty cam i got.your car looking good bill.ive got another cowl scoop im gonna use that is 8 inches.the 6 inch dont quite give me enough room.i gota a 144 weiand blower i got at a swap meet a while back im debating on using to.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm

What kind of compression did you put in your current build? Michael B's supercharged car looks like fun but traction is nice too! What do you have in yours for brakes? I'm just in the process of making a block for my hydroboost. Hydroboost will be rotated about 110 degrees with original 944 master Cyl. Should work slick!
Wild Bill
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:47 pm

11-5to 1 right now ill change to 8-5to 1 if i go with my blower .hydro boost works great ive got one that came off diesel olds ive thought bout using.my brakes are manuel and work pretty good.but power brakes are nice .once i get my motor installed and bugs worked out im gonna improve my braking systym
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:34 pm

got my adapter plate to day.looks awesome.very well enginered.thank you greg.cant wait to start puting together.now if i can just get some time.i now have all my parts to see how it all fits.got to finish putting my motor together this weekend then hopefully by next weekend i can put it in.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 pm

short block complete.gonna mount cylinder heads tommorow and adjust my valves .got my pilot bearing adapter in my crank.nice tight fit.short on time between my job and my kids.hope to have motor ready for test fit next week.cant wait.oil pan working out nice.will post some more pics in my gallery this weekend.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:59 pm

went to put my motor in this weekend but i ran into a slight glich.i didnt test fit my bellhousing when i could have and should have.like dad says read the instructions.reference conversion man.it says to use 168 tooth flywheel and i did except with 11 inch pressure plate.it didnt work and put a big nasty crack in my bell housing.which i repaired at work today .i now have the correct 10.5 inch pressure plate that i will try out as soon as i get my new used flywheel back from being turned.i hope this combonation fits.the 11 inch presure plate came within a quarter of an inch from fitting before i went to tighten down and broke the darn thing.at least i was able to salvage my bellhousing.any insight from an expert opinion would be nice somtimes.
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:35 pm

orderd new flywheel and presure plate from jegs.168tooth 14in diametor with a 10.5 inch presure plate and it fits.stock gm starter for 75 vette with manual trans is the correct for this app on early sbc with c5 bellhousing.dont try 11inch on this combo cause you will crack you bellhousing like i did.gonna try and put in car sunday.thanks for the help greg.you was right
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:06 pm

nicely done, good luck
modenas
modenas

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next