944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions....

5 posters

Go down

About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... Empty About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions....

Post  The LS1 951 Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:50 am

Few things I was wondering before I get started, I do plan on doing a lot more research and buying the swap guide before I start, but I was wondering how long this swap might take to complete after I have all the parts, assuming the stock engine is already out of the car?

Also how much am I looking to spend, I already have the LS1, I'm thinking about the basic kit from 944v8.com for $1750, I figured I'm going to be spending more then that since I am upgrading suspension and brakes as well, but just for the needed swap parts will that basic kit cut it? Or are there a lot more things I'm going to have to buy / fab to make this work.

I will be poking around here and doing a lot more research, just wanted someone who has done the swap with a LSx engine to answer these questions.

Thanks!

The LS1 951

Back to top Go down

About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... Empty Re: About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions....

Post  944-LT1 Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Welcome. Those are the two hardest/impossible questions to answer. I did my LT conversion in a weekend after making sure I had all conversion parts before I started. The LS conversion im doing now is taking much longer due simply to parts fitment and such.

Cost is subjective. Depends on where you get the parts, shipping, tools, options, etc.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions.... Empty Re: About to do a "budget" LS1 swap, few questions....

Post  cfgioja Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:29 am

I went ahead and bought pretty much everything I needed for the swap through RH that went beyond the basic kit. I didnt want to have to fabricate a thing if necessary.

Once i got the parts all in and had the original motor out. I was able to put the LS1 in the car with in two weeks, working a few hours a night with a baby in the shop to tend to.

I have mechanic knowledge from school, and a few tools to help, engine hoist, and funiture dolly, etc.

The swap is not hard. You might have to drop it a few times once you have it in place the first time, just to do checks and solve any clearance issues. I had dropped it completly, pulled it out from under the car and had it reinstalled within the same night.

It does not take very long to install, just try and make sure you have all the bolts necessary or your build will be held up tracking bolts down. RH left a few esentail bilts out and gavve me extra bolts I never even used.

Also make sure all the parts are good to go, check everything, i was missing my drain plug, one of my header tubes were not completly welded (I found out with the engine fully installed), and varoius other minor annoyances.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  The LS1 951 Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 pm

I heard that the RH stuff was way over priced and bad quality. What other things did you buy that you eneded up needing? I just want to make sure I have all the parts before I start the swap, I want to make sure the bsic kit has all the nesscities or if im going to need to buy more.

The LS1 951

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:00 pm

The Porsche®️ 944 V8 Conversion Manual has a "shopping list"...

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 pm

I never knew that these v8 944 existed before my 944 broke down. I found the pages refering to Renegade Hybrids before there was some complications with their web forum came about.

I ordered everything i could pretty much:

--- Renegade custom adapter-bellhousing complete and pre assembled with hydraulic throw out bearing, custom hydraulic hose and fittings, and mounting hardware.
--- Custom 12 inch LS Series clutch disc with Porsche center spline.
--- Renegade motor mount kit complete with uprights, billet block plates, rubber isolators, and hardware.
--- Renegade custom LS Series road race oil pan and pick up.
--- LS Series remote oil filter mount.
--- Renegade cross member and sway bar drop kit.
--- Custom 944 to LS Series pilot bearing.
--- Renegade brake master cylinder mount and pushrod.
--- Custom ignition coil mount bracket.
$2,100 Complete LS Series kit for 924S, 944, 951 and 968 Porsches, hardware and instructions. For design and application purposes, parts will not be sold separately.
Optional Parts

$899 RENEGADE 944 TO LS Series COMPLETE COOLING SYSTEM: Including high efficiency custom radiator, HP puller fan and mounts, thermostatic control switch, 30 amp relay, and pre-wired harness, assembled and ready for installation in the stock 944 radiator location.
$849 RENEGADE CUSTOM BUILT LS Series HIGH FLOW HEADERS: With 1½-inch primaries and 3-inch collectors. ( picture )
$200 CERAMIC HEADER COATING: High temperature polished coating inside and out.
$245 CUSTOM REMOTE FILTER OIL LINES: One pair with all needed fittings.
$25 COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT: With correct VDO output. Please specify your gauge value when ordering.
$45 OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT: With correct VDO output. Please specify your gauge value when ordering.
$35 CUSTOM OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT ADAPTER
$245 LS Series CUSTOM FUEL REGULATOR/FILTER/RETURN COMPLETE KIT: With correct fittings for your Porsche stock fuel lines.
$140 / pr. ENERGY SUSPENSION MOTOR MOUNT UPGRADE: Plus mount modification. $90 added to upgrade stock mounts included with basic conversion kit.
$145 SWIVEL 180-DEGREE THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING: For added frame rail clearance over stock LS Series thermostat.
$85 LS Series TO 944 CUSTOM THROTTLE CABLE
$180 LS Series POWER STEERING DELETE KIT: For manual rack application.

I did my own battery relocation. I also purchased my owh harness and ecu through Speartech.

It all went pretty good, besides the few issues and annoyances i mentioned earlier. It was a little pricey but like I said, I wanted everything bolt up as much as possible. i don't own a shop or anything liek that. I have been doing this here and there where I can, the most recent is a storage building I am renting to make a make ship shop with concrete floors. i am only 25 this was my best option.

Either way you go, if you purchase all the parts it gets expensive. If you only buy the basic kit you will have to do some modifying of your own, which can possibly take longer but most likely will be cheaper.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  The LS1 951 Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks! that is exactly what i was looking for!!

The LS1 951

Back to top Go down

Post  Vorsche944 Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 pm

i did the RH kit and hired Eric to help (DO) the install for me. Even with a Kit there is more than just bolting it up. The best advise I can give you is to make a plan, decide before you get started what you want the end product to be, you have to define the end of this phase or you can easily fall into the bunny trails of endless options as you get into it.

Key to my swap was I wanted a daily driver that has serious street performance. I also wanted the swap to be as professional looking as possible, so when you open the hood, you see an engine compartment that looks like it came from the factory.

A couple key factor in working with Eric is his attention to detail, thinking through solution's and not just going with the easy answer to get by and the ability to design and manufacture the parts we needed. Probably spent more doing it this way, but that was my end game design.

A couple of areas we worked out:

Moved Radiator up forward 4 inches, create huge space in front of the engine
Replaced headlights with new buckets
Relocated Battery to rear
Relocated washer reservoir to old battery compartment
Mounter new smaller overflow can for radiator
Added in Hydroboost brakes
Kept Power steering

If you can fab your own parts, you can do more and reduce your labor costs.
Time to do the conversion, depends on what all is in your plan.

Plan the work, Work the plan. Stay on plan.

Good luck, the day you fire it up and drive her down the road, you cannot stop smiling. Priceless.
Vorsche944
Vorsche944

http://www.944transformations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The LS1 951 Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm

how hard is the wiring in this swap?

The LS1 951

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 am

Grab yourself a aftermarket stand alone, (mine came from Speartech), and an ecu which most wire builders can get one for you if you don't have one.

The speartech one came with labelled ends and a pretty good picture that pointed out the right connetors too. The standalone harness fall right on the engine and you just connect. The only thing that you have to figure out about that is the starter wire and fuel pump wire, (where to connect them).

On top of all that you have to deal with the tach wiring, I still have not hooked mine up. The water temp and oil pressure wiring is not too hard if you have good body wiring in the car. Mine is all grounded out wierd ad old, (the red neck before me who had the car had no idea about wiring).

As far as the heater and a/c I don't know. I dont have them in this body. (I will be switching to a new body soon to fix that).
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down