944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Automatic BH Adapter

+5
gt1scca
968gene
xschop
Dawgz83948
stu wright
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 Empty automatic bellhousing adapter

Post  stu wright Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:12 pm

this is the first conv ive done on a 944 so i havnt experinced the manual trans problems on a porsche but i have on some manualy equipped big block chevy malibus pushing well over 600 hp and even the mighty m22 that i used to cherish sits in a corner of my shed in a pile of shred .ive always had better luck with automatics when putting alot of horsepower to a vehicle .im a drag racer and have built plenty of chevys set up 4 hard launches and that was my thinking when i seached 4 an automatic equipped 944.the friend of mine who built the tranny 4 me said it could handle the power as long as i didnt get to carried away.like was mentioned by 944-lt-1 a well maintained transaxle will last.im very confident with my automatic and i keep it very well maintained.i wanted a porsche for its lightweight ,cornering capabilities plus somthing i could get good accelleration in and so far it has been a good experience.now its time to refine my creation a little more with some more upgrades thanks to the very creative and smart people ive been gathering information from on this site.ill stand behind the auto 944 transaxle cause i know it works and works very well .just wish it had over drive
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Automatic BH Adapter - Page 3 Empty Re: Automatic BH Adapter

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm

stuart f. wright wrote:this is the first conv ive done on a 944 so i havnt experinced the manual trans problems on a porsche but i have on some manualy equipped big block chevy malibus pushing well over 600 hp and even the mighty m22 that i used to cherish sits in a corner of my shed in a pile of shred .ive always had better luck with automatics when putting alot of horsepower to a vehicle .im a drag racer and have built plenty of chevys set up 4 hard launches and that was my thinking when i seached 4 an automatic equipped 944.the friend of mine who built the tranny 4 me said it could handle the power as long as i didnt get to carried away.like was mentioned by 944-lt-1 a well maintained transaxle will last.im very confident with my automatic and i keep it very well maintained.i wanted a porsche for its lightweight ,cornering capabilities plus somthing i could get good accelleration in and so far it has been a good experience.now its time to refine my creation a little more with some more upgrades thanks to the very creative and smart people ive been gathering information from on this site.ill stand behind the auto 944 transaxle cause i know it works and works very well .just wish it had over drive

Make sure you do something with the flex plate in the rear. If this happens to it with a N/A 944 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] then I can imagine what your v8 will do. I'm thinking just use thicker steel and a more solid connection to the hub.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:44 pm

when i had mine out to rebuild i addressed the issue already thanks i was aware of that problem when i had tranny rebuilt.
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Why not just cut up the tunnel and bolt a REAL transmission straight to the back of the motor? You'd have a dozen to choose from that could handle any amount of power you threw at it. Some even have O/D.
From there you can take your pick on a solid rear axle or staying with IRS (as someone else did with the Viper center section). Would be pretty easy to put a solid axle onto the rear torsion bar setup... You'd lose the 50/50 weight distribution but that doesn't matter, i'm guessing nobody is going to be road racing or autocrossing a 3-speed car...
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

when it breaks ive got a plan for it but it works right now.im happy with it and thats whats important.i have a 944 turbo that i plan on converting i the future.my auto 944 stands as an experiment that didnt cost me that much money and ive learned alot from.i dont road race i do an occasinal drag race and i drive it back n forth to work occasionly and my wife drives it and shes not good on clutches so it will stay n automatic .when it breaks ill fix it.looks to me that its handled quite a bit already and showed its talights to a few unsuspecting wanna bes and it goes into gear every time .

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add)
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:24 pm

stuart f. wright wrote:when it breaks ive got a plan for it but it works right now.im happy with it and thats whats important.i have a 944 turbo that i plan on converting i the future.my auto 944 stands as an experiment that didnt cost me that much money and ive learned alot from.i dont road race i do an occasinal drag race and i drive it back n forth to work occasionly and my wife drives it and shes not good on clutches so it will stay n automatic .when it breaks ill fix it.looks to me that its handled quite a bit already and showed its talights to a few unsuspecting wanna bes and it goes into gear every time .
how many miles you put o your stick shift trouble free ive put 20000 on mine trouble free dont get me wrong i love manual trannys i have one in my gmc pickup , 2010 ss camaro 87944 turbo 65 malibu even got m on my harleys but when it comes to my wifes car it gonna be automatic .
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:31 pm

I wasn't knocking on it, i'm just saying it's probably a lot easier to cut up the transmission tunnel and put in a chevy transmission than to start modifying the Porsche trans.

I'm a little disappointed in xschop too, i thought for sure he was going to come up with a Renault transmission that we could use instead....

BTW, i have about 10k miles on my setup. It would be a lot more except i keep taking the damn thing apart for upgrades Laughing
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:45 pm

Porch wrote:I wasn't knocking on it, i'm just saying it's probably a lot easier to cut up the transmission tunnel and put in a chevy transmission than to start modifying the Porsche trans.

I'm a little disappointed in xschop too, i thought for sure he was going to come up with a Renault transmission that we could use instead....

BTW, i have about 10k miles on my setup. It would be a lot more except i keep taking the damn thing apart for upgrades Laughing
thats what i got in mind if i break mine lol nobody likes to break one xschop will come up with somthing i hope im gonna want some serious power in my 87 turbo .i had my engine out several times i know the feeling.zf transaxle worked really good in early panteras. i like the idea of a vette tansaxle transplant.i know where one is .

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add)
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:43 pm

I wanted to use the 'vette transaxle too, but i saw pictures of someone who had done it and it really wasn't pretty. Just too many different dimensions, i think! Since it's just a T56 with a differential bolted on it doesn't have the output shafts in the center like the 944 trans does. I'm sure there's something else out there... A friend of mine shattered 2nd gear in his Z06 drag racing it, so i guess they're not really bulletproof solutions anyways!
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:23 pm

xschop got a plate for ya
modenas
modenas

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Later 928 tranny grafted in or just a little more work to mate the C5 differential to a r154 or an AX-15. I will give you guys a heads-up. The AX-15 4x4 Tailhousing would be easy to make the C5 Differential adapter mate up to.....One or the other, it will happen.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:55 pm

that sounds interesting i know a guy who has a 928 with blown engine he might sell ive been waiting.its auto matic to came from chicago area .the body is rusted but he said transaxle good but i like porch idea with 700 r4 n independent rear .ive got the remains of a 75 vette i my junkyard still got rearend you think i could install early vette rear in .for now im gonna milk my original transaxle till i break it.sometime in the future ill redo it again . admin did a very nice job on his.
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 pm

you think i could install early vette rear in

I don't think it would be difficult. I have a Jag that I plan to use on mine if my transaxle doesn't hold up. The jag is a Dana44 in a cast steel housing. The later Vette is aluminum and they tend to break.

I also have a cast steel cased Super T-10 with nickel gears that I will use along with the Jag center.

I wasn't knocking on it, i'm just saying it's probably a lot easier to cut up the transmission tunnel and put in a chevy transmission than to start modifying the Porsche trans.

Don't be too critical about auto's. They can easily be modified to take well over the original rated torque. I used to build auto's for drag racing. I did this to the A604 in my last minivan when I did the transaxle. Adding extra plates, using torrington thrust washers in place of brass clad thrust washers, increasing the pressure, etc. I would guess that it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the 944 valve body for quick shifts either. Also, autos are easier on the drive line. But....I still would take a manual over an auto any day.
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  stu wright Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm

the buddy of mine that built my 944 trans said its a pretty stout tranny he put some time in it and worked on valve body and replaced clutches and steels and ive pounded on it a few times at drag strip and drove it back and forth to work and my wife drives it alot.it still works just fine .shifts nice and crisp and its quick off the line and goes down road just fine .fast enough to land me in the pokey.if it breaks ill put a 700r4 i got in corner of mygarage and install an early vette rear . i keep my filter changed when i change my oil.i run 2 coolers and a double external filter i think it will last another 120000 miles.thats what it had on it when i converted to v8 power and trans was still working great.its working right now so why tear it apart.im changing bellhousing to c5 style right now and im geting ready to paint it probaly have back on road in couple of months.then im gonna do coversion on my turbo 5 speed.
stu wright
stu wright

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3