944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
hydroboost with tilton clutch master EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

hydroboost with tilton clutch master

3 posters

Go down

hydroboost with tilton clutch master Empty hydroboost with tilton clutch master

Post  Fairmont50 Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:26 pm

having some problems getting the hydroboost to fit with the tilton 7/8 clutch master cylinder.  Near as I can tell, about 3/8 needs to be machined off the extra output port on the end of the clutch master to get it to fit.    I assume that the ports on the clutch master go towards the inside of the car since it won't fit the other way.  

Any advice / pictures would be appreciated, I have had the #&^$& thing off several times trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Fairmont50

Back to top Go down

hydroboost with tilton clutch master Empty Re: hydroboost with tilton clutch master

Post  Fairmont50 Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:55 pm

I milled about .375" off of the secondary output port on the tilton master cylinder. Then I rotated it 30 degrees or so and milled an angle on it for clearance. Both cuts were nearly down to the top of the plug that was in the port. There is now roughly .125" clearance between the clutch master and the block on the hydroboost.

Chris

Fairmont50

Back to top Go down

hydroboost with tilton clutch master Empty Re: hydroboost with tilton clutch master

Post  Admin Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:28 pm

The clutch master should not touch the hydro boost.
The clutch master should have the input port to the driver side.
See thumb nail picture below,picture below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairmont50 Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:46 pm

Unless my car is way different from the one in the pictures it would require a large hammer to create the clearance for the ports in the wheel well. Is that correct?

Fairmont50

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:52 pm

Yes,
The area on the fender well has to be modified.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:32 pm

Fairmont50,

If you're still working on this, here is the forum link to my project thread where I went through exactly what you're dealing with.  Hope it helps!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In hind sight, I would have installed the clutch MC much earlier for improved access to the fender well side mounting nut.  I had to tighten mine in two stages: 1st with a homemade custom aluminum wrench, ~1/8 turn at a time, that had very little leverage, and 2nd with an 8" drift punch and hammer where I was able pound the flats of the mounting nut to accomplish another 3/4 nut rotation.

It's tight now!
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairmont50 Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:32 pm

Thanks, I am always amazed when something that I have not seen pops up after I could swear that I have searched for and read everything on the subject. So far, I have stuck with my solution of milling the extra port down as much as possible and mounting the feed line towards the passenger side. We will see if that works, it appears to be good but I do not have everything hooked up yet.

Fairmont50

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:59 pm

There is always more than one way to "skin the cat" as they say.  In my case with a 2002 LS-1 in an '87 944S using the Ford Hydro boost adapter from TPC and the Tilton (7/8" bore) clutch MC,  I had no choice but to mount the MC with the feed line on the DS.  This required modification of the DS inner fender well for clearance as described in my thread.

The pic below says it all... very little clearance to the HB connection block.

I hope you have more room to work with your set up.  You may want to touch base with Kent at TPC before you mill too much material off the HB adapter block.  Just a suggestion... Smile
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:32 pm

Chris,

After re-reading your post, I realize your milling work was on the Tilton MC and not the HB block.  My bad!

My comment about milling is more accurately directed to the MC port wall which may be compromised and lead to a high-pressure blow out.  You would know best based on the actual grinding done.

If you're concerned, it may be possible to cut off the secondary MC port nice and square beyond the grinding, and re-tapping it for the plug.

Just a thought...

Last edited by Raymond-P on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down

Post  Fairmont50 Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:42 pm

Yes, I cut all that I could from the extra port on the clutch master.  Any more would require a thinner plug in the port.

Poor quality pictures:

Nothing is tight yet, all of my clearance may go away as soon as it is actually put together.

Fairmont50

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond-P Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:27 pm

Nice!  Your installation looks pretty good so far.  Pictures are not bad at all.

Your approach definitely solves the access problem on the MC DS mounting nut.  However, it looks like putting the PS nut on the stud might be a challenge due to the proximity of the primary pressure port.  I know it can easily be reached from behind the motor with an open-end wrench.

Be sure to use sealant behind the MC to keep the weather out of the driver's side foot well.  My factory MC leaked and lead to some rust issues on the passenger compartment side not to mention a wet carpet.

Just FYI, this area gets very crowded with HB hoses, and wiring etc.  Below are a couple pics of what mine looks like in the finished state.  You will want to get the MC locked down before fully tightening your HB hose locations, emission hoses, and wiring harness chassis wiring.

Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Back to top Go down