944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Confused about brakes EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Confused about brakes EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Confused about brakes EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Confused about brakes EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Confused about brakes EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Confused about brakes EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Confused about brakes EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Confused about brakes EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Confused about brakes EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Confused about brakes EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Confused about brakes

5 posters

Go down

Confused about brakes Empty Confused about brakes

Post  Bmillar Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:19 am

Constantly improving, refining the car (like a lot of us, I'm sure). I've got a 1983 944 with the stock manual brakes, acquired from another (former?) member on here. I've been looking into upgrading to turbo brakes, from the 1986 951.

Anyway, in researching the project, on the Porsche boards I've come across a number of posts from racers saying to each other that the stock brakes are "just fine" and that there is no reason to upgrade to turbo brakes, big reds, etc.

The conventional wisdom on this forum, of course, is that bigger/turbo brakes are essential. My car "new" to me, and I have not dynoed it. But I expect its in the range of 300-325 HP. I also expect to do some track days and some autocross, but unless I have a lot more free time and money soon, I'm not going racing.

So, I'm "shopping" for 1986 951 spindles, hubs, calipers. Do I need to move forward and get the 951 brakes, or am I safe remaining with my stock manual brake setup?

Bmillar

Back to top Go down

Confused about brakes Empty Re: Confused about brakes

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:22 am

The stock brakes are good for a street driven only 944. With good rotors and track pads, they will work ok for a track day. I would definitely recommend going to the 951 front and rear brake setup. I would also recommend installing hydroboost to power the brakes. Manual brakes require a lot more pedal effort. This is ok on the street, but once you start tracking your car, you will find that it is a lot of work stopping the car with manual brakes. With 951 brakes and hydroboost, the car will have great brakes.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Bmillar Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:52 am

Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:The stock brakes are good for a street driven only 944. With good rotors and track pads, they will work ok for a track day. I would definitely recommend going to the 951 front and rear brake setup. I would also recommend installing hydroboost to power the brakes. Manual brakes require a lot more pedal effort. This is ok on the street, but once you start tracking your car, you will find that it is a lot of work stopping the car with manual brakes. With 951 brakes and hydroboost, the car will have great brakes.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too.

Bmillar

Hotrodz of Dallas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LalaLady944 Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:42 am

Case Bays will be premiering a new dual piston 6:1 ratio manual break master cylinder unit. It is due to roll out Black Friday for about 4-5 hundred bucks.

It’s NASA (and others) approved and will provide a consistent peddle feel. BTW most race cars have manual brake with a bias adjustment.

Look at me sounding like a advertisement. Lol

I am just excited for it and I’m going this route on my street/track build. It’s smaller than a hydroboost and won’t need to worry about hydraulic lines/cooling/overheating problems.

Check it out

LalaLady944

Back to top Go down

Post  murrayg Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 am

"Hotrodz of Dallas wrote:

The stock brakes are good for a street driven only 944. With good rotors and track pads, they will work ok for a track day. I would definitely recommend going to the 951 front and rear brake setup. I would also recommend installing hydroboost to power the brakes. Manual brakes require a lot more pedal effort. This is ok on the street, but once you start tracking your car, you will find that it is a lot of work stopping the car with manual brakes. With 951 brakes and hydroboost, the car will have great brakes."

I fully agree. I've got an 84 944 with 400WHP, and with the BMW HydroBoost and 951 (actually S2) brakes, it stops amazing, all day long! I found with the NA brakes, stopping power was great, but would fade in time at the track, and warp the rotors. I'm sure others would say there are fixes for this, but the best fix is the bigger brakes. There is no down side, even the weight is very close.

Gord.

murrayg

Hotrodz of Dallas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Bmillar Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 am

LalaLady944 wrote:Case Bays will be premiering a new dual piston 6:1 ratio manual break master cylinder unit.  It is due to roll out Black Friday for about 4-5 hundred bucks....
...It’s smaller than a hydroboost and won’t need to worry about hydraulic lines/cooling/overheating problems.  

Thanks for the heads-up!  I went to the Chase Bays website but was not able to locate this new unit.  Can you post a link?  Much appreciated.

Bmillar

Back to top Go down

Confused about brakes Empty Chase Bay Dual Master

Post  Porsche951toLS3 Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:55 pm

I am also very interested in this new dual master and would love to see the link.
As of 10/18/21, I do not see it on the website.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Back to top Go down