944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin


For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Ls Engine mounts
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:44 pm by Plucky948

» V8 Conversion Parts
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 4:45 pm by Dynamicp

» 944 LS Conversion Parts near Charlotte, NC
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 6:06 pm by z1 zonly

» Don't know what this is
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 10:51 pm by Michael Bivins

» Modified Hooker 2312 Headers for sale
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am by gwistrup

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 10:16 am by Raymond-P

» TPC Motor Mount Bushing Upgrade
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 am by Raymond-P

» Clearance for Tilton master cylinder when using Hydroboost
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 6:58 pm by gwistrup

» WTB LS swapped 944
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 7:22 am by DM72C20

» ls430 and rx7 brake swap wheel fitment
LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 5:52 am by spence

July 2021
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Calendar Calendar

Log in

I forgot my password

LS Overheating Issue

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  Raymond-P Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:36 am

The Forum folks have provided a lot of good info regarding the cooling system set up and the various pitfalls encountered when doing an LS swap.  Hopefully you're on track with a solution.

As you mentioned, your LS is preowned and potentially a Pandora's box.  From your thread, it does appear that you have replaced all the basic coolant related components eliminating many of the potential overheating causes.

One critical cooling issue not yet mentioned is your OIL.

Engine oil is responsible for up to 40% of engine heat dissipation.   With the modified pans on these engines, the factory dip stick may NOT be a good indicator of oil volume.

BE SURE you have sufficient oil of the proper API grade for your driving application. GM says the LS motor takes 5.5 quarts with a filter change.

Food for thought...
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Posts : 132
Join date : 2013-06-29
Age : 65
Location : Beaver, PA

Back to top Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  968gene Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:30 am

I had the same challenges a few years ago. Chased everything. My issue was an under drive crank pulley.
968gene
968gene

Posts : 257
Join date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  rjarvis Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:26 pm

968gene wrote:I had the same challenges a few years ago.  Chased everything.  My issue was an under drive crank pulley.

I never even thought about that, good mention. I do have a new gm harmonic balancer installed.

rjarvis

Posts : 39
Join date : 2020-01-15

Back to top Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  rjarvis Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:31 pm

Raymond-P wrote:The Forum folks have provided a lot of good info regarding the cooling system set up and the various pitfalls encountered when doing an LS swap.  Hopefully you're on track with a solution.

As you mentioned, your LS is preowned and potentially a Pandora's box.  From your thread, it does appear that you have replaced all the basic coolant related components eliminating many of the potential overheating causes.

One critical cooling issue not yet mentioned is your OIL.

Engine oil is responsible for up to 40% of engine heat dissipation.   With the modified pans on these engines, the factory dip stick may NOT be a good indicator of oil volume.

BE SURE you have sufficient oil of the proper API grade for your driving application. GM says the LS motor takes 5.5 quarts with a filter change.

Food for thought...

Hey Raymond - had mobil 1 5w-30 and 5.5 quarts in. I sent the oil off to blackstone labs the other week, nothing came back of much surprise. I am running a TPC pan which is also 5.5 quart

rjarvis

Posts : 39
Join date : 2020-01-15

Back to top Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  Raymond-P Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 pm

OK...check oil off the list.

So just to eliminate one other basic factor, what coolant blend are you running, 50/50 ethylene glycol?  

There are many options here and some blends good for winter anti-freeze conditions are unfortunately terrible for summer boiling conditions.  

You are already running synthetic oil which in itself reduces engine running temps.

As a last option, there are products are out there to improve the cooling efficiency of your system coolant.  Below is a link to one from AMSOIL:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

DOMINATOR® Coolant Boost advertises up to a 25 degree temp reduction.  My experience with AMSOIL is their products do what they say.
Raymond-P
Raymond-P

Posts : 132
Join date : 2013-06-29
Age : 65
Location : Beaver, PA

Back to top Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  porvette101 Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Had a similar problem with my LS1 in 944.  Change the plastic overflow tank to an aluminum one and run a 24 pound cap rather than the 16 llb. on the plastic tank.  You cannot run any higher cap on the plastic tank because higher pressure will crack it.  Put in hood vents to give heat an escape route,  Engine bay is so filled that the entire front of the car becomes heat soaked.  Lastly take off the nose and remove the metal shrouding and open up the air flow to the radiator.  944s were designed so that all air to the radiator goes underneath the car and then gets pulled upward by fans through the radiator.  There is no direct air flow from car movement cooling the radiator.  This will probably fix the fan problem.
In addition I purchased the vented nose piece that goes between the headlights and also opened two 6 inch by 2 inch openings in the bumper to increase air flow.  My car on a  100 degree day now runs at a max of 210.  Normally runs at 180 both examples with A/C running.

porvette101

Posts : 1
Join date : 2014-03-24

Back to top Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  stu wright Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:22 pm

porvette101 wrote:Had a similar problem with my LS1 in 944.  Change the plastic overflow tank to an aluminum one and run a 24 pound cap rather than the 16 llb. on the plastic tank.  You cannot run any higher cap on the plastic tank because higher pressure will crack it.  Put in hood vents to give heat an escape route,  Engine bay is so filled that the entire front of the car becomes heat soaked.  Lastly take off the nose and remove the metal shrouding and open up the air flow to the radiator.  944s were designed so that all air to the radiator goes underneath the car and then gets pulled upward by fans through the radiator.  There is no direct air flow from car movement cooling the radiator.  This will probably fix the fan problem.
In addition I purchased the vented nose piece that goes between the headlights and also opened two 6 inch by 2 inch openings in the bumper to increase air flow.  My car on a  100 degree day now runs at a max of 210.  Normally runs at 180 both examples with A/C running.
Great anylization I was thinking same thing .Sounds like airflow issue and possibly an air pocket in coolant would cause a big problem as well. LS motors are notorious for being a pain bleeding air out. Getting the hot air out of enginge bay helped mine out alot.
stu wright
stu wright

Posts : 304
Join date : 2009-07-19
Age : 59
Location : effingham illinois

Back to top Go down

LS Overheating Issue - Page 2 Empty Re: LS Overheating Issue

Post  rjarvis Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:10 pm

Just an update for anyone that ends up with similar issues:

Still keeping the test drives to about 20 miles. Have the 2 new fans installed and headers and y pipe of exhaust wrapped with heat wrap. I also got the trim piece that connects the radiator support to the bumper, and the piece that goes in front of the radiator.

Not too hot here, around 82f, car will cruise around 200, max 207 when pushing it a little harder.

Seems like it was an airflow issue. Waiting for it to warm up and test in some 90* weather. I think the setup would still benefit from some louvers to let heat out of the engine compartment.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

rjarvis

Posts : 39
Join date : 2020-01-15

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum