944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyYesterday at 9:56 am by ndog52

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
low cost and available bellhousing...maybe EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

low cost and available bellhousing...maybe

+2
sharkey
murrayg
6 posters

Go down

low cost and available bellhousing...maybe Empty low cost and available bellhousing...maybe

Post  murrayg Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm starting another LS1/6 into a 89 944. I'm collecting parts and everything is coming together except.... the C5 Corvette bellhousing - p/n12554980. This is the manual 2 piece bellhousing that I've used in the past, and works great. But they are getting very hard to find, and expensive. A QuickTime one at near $800 and 22lbs is not an option.
However, the automatic bellhousing (p/n12551118) is available and cheap! There are literally dozens on ebay for under $100.
Let's start a discussion and collect thoughts on using the auto bellhousing for a conversion. The release bearing mounts to the TT or in our case, the adaptor, so that shouldn't be a show stopper. I understand an 11" flywheel /clutch won't work, but a 10 1/2 will, what GM applications had 10.5" clutches?? I'm willing to put the work in here, if these auto bellhousings will work for us. Thoughts??

Gord.

murrayg

Back to top Go down

low cost and available bellhousing...maybe Empty Re: low cost and available bellhousing...maybe

Post  sharkey Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:41 pm

i spent a bit of time looking through rock auto and cant come up with a factory LS application that uses a 10.5" clutch. f-body, gto/g8 and corvette all use 11 7/16", ctsv uses 11.5", and trucks use a 12".

there are aftermarket performance 10.5" clutch combinations out there for the ls, however going this route will likely cost far more than the 2 piece bellhousing and using an oe pressure plate/flywheel.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

low cost and available bellhousing...maybe Empty Re: low cost and available bellhousing...maybe

Post  Fairmont50 Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:25 pm

I am also just starting on a conversion (1991 s2 > LQ4) and had the same questions, so thank you. It appears that there is a spacer required between the block and bellhousing in order to use an 11" clutch with the 1 piece bellhousing, but I can't find any reference as to the thickness (seem to remember seeing .500" but am not sure). This brings up another problem, which is that any spacer there will move the engine forward in the car and will add to the clearance problems between the throttle body and hood as well as change the engine mount location.

Is there anyone out there that has used the 1 piece bellhousing that can shed some light on the proper parts to use and how this will effect everything else?

Thanks,

Chris

Fairmont50

murrayg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:16 pm

The 1 piece bell housing has been being used for some time.

TPC (i am the owner) has a complete kit.

To use the one piece you need:
* Modify the bell housing for the hydraulic lines
* use a 1/4" Spacer
* Extra long dowel pins (good idea)
* Use TPC's modified Adapter Plate

The 1 piece works and has been tested using the stock TPC Clutch Disc, GM flywheel and pressure plate,as well as SPEC kits.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Fairmont50 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Fairmont50 wrote:I am also just starting on a conversion (1991 s2 > LQ4) and had the same questions, so thank you.  It appears that there is a spacer required between the block and bellhousing in order to use an 11" clutch with the 1 piece bellhousing, but I can't find any reference as to the thickness (seem to remember seeing .500" but am not sure).  This brings up another problem, which is that any spacer there will move the engine forward in the car and will add to the clearance problems between the throttle body and hood as well as change the engine mount location.

Is there anyone out there that has used the 1 piece bellhousing that can shed some light on the proper parts to use and how this will effect everything else?

Thanks,

Chris

The 1 piece bellhousing and the quicktime bell housing are currently the only ones that are available now. The original 2 piece bellhousings are next to impossible to find. I have built several 944's and am currently building another one using the 1 piece bellhousing that Kent sells. It is modified for the 944 swap. There are several things that have to be done, as in machining, to the BH to make it work. Kent does all of these for his kit. He sells it with a 1/4" spacer that goes between the block and bellhousing. And also has the correct torque tube adapter plate for this BH. The spacer does not change where the engine sits. This is always dictated by the motor mounts. Nothing changes in the engine or torque tube locations.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Fairmont50 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  T951 Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:42 pm

I have a one piece if anyone is interested.
$50.00 + shipping

T951

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum