944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyToday at 9:56 am by ndog52

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
78 928 LS1 swap initiated EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

78 928 LS1 swap initiated

2 posters

Go down

78 928 LS1 swap initiated Empty 78 928 LS1 swap initiated

Post  Hey_Allen Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:35 pm

I wanted to post this build journal here, away from the "Porsche is perfect in all they do" crowd on RL...

My starting point is a '78 928 that I rescued from a friend who was about to scrap it after it had been sitting due to overheating issues 10 years prior.
I initially started working on the stock engine, intending to just fix it enough to drive it, but found that I had severely underestimated Porsche maintenance part prices.

I did get the engine up and running (the overheating was due to a missing vent hose) but the CIS injector nozzle prices have risen enough that the MB nozzles are $45+ each, and the Porsche nozzles were in the $100+ price range. Adding in the required rubber seals and retaining collars, and just refurbishing the nozzles was looking like the better part of $1500-2000. This was not a viable option on a relatively rough car that I got for free.

I found that the clutch had been relined by the PO, but then had been sitting and now drags preventing the transaxle from shifting easily as well. That's another easy $1500, or ~$4500 for the "Perfect Clutch" that one of the RL sponsor shops has developed... Again, not a viable option for a "free car", and when one is playing with it as a hobby, not planning a concours competition car to sell for a profit.

This came to a head when a friend of a friend wanted to get rid of the LS1 out of an interior fire damaged Firebird.
One order to TPC for an adapter plate, spacer, and a few miscellaneous bits, and I was off and scrounging for the rest of the bits.

One used C5 bell housing, and lightly used clutch set were acquired, as was the appropriate Dodge clutch disc to mate up with the drive shaft.

The OBD2 bluetooth link to allow downloading/uploading the ECU.
Various fuel and clutch parts also arrived.

Now the fun part has begun, and I'm cleaning the engine's stock wiring harness to eliminate the extra bits and pieces, as well as playing with a tune that will be going into the ECU once it's wired in.

This is all ignoring that the car is rough and a bit scruffy both inside and out. I have a set of seats from a Porsche Cayman lined up, pending catching the current owner at home so I can pick them up. From some of the RL threads, they may bolt in, or may require some tinkering with the tracks. They'll definitely require power to be supplied before they work, as my car has (ripped and ratty) mechanical seats.

Exterior cosmetic condition is rough in general, with chips through the paint in a few areas, and a shallow crease behind the passenger door, below the quarter window.
Most of the rubber window seals are weather checked as well, prompting me to look carefully at the seal profiles offered on JC Whitney and elsewhere, potentially avoiding the $250 each quarter window seals.

I'm stuffing a few pics into my gallery as I go along, but nothing particularly swap related yet other than the parts acquired.

With all the examples here and elsewhere to follow, I have hopes for a relatively painless swap, but I wont' be holding my breath...

Hey_Allen

Bluemongoose likes this post

Back to top Go down

78 928 LS1 swap initiated Empty Re: 78 928 LS1 swap initiated

Post  acorad Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Love the 928. Keep us posted!
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey_Allen Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:35 pm

So far the progress has been that the ECU connectors are now rewired for a 99+ ECU, and the ECU that I acquired from the Pick-n-Pull now believes it was an 02 Firebird with a manual transmission.

I'm still removing the extra wires from the harness as I determine exactly which does what, going a little slower than I could due to the fact that the lt1swap site assumes that your starting point is from a truck...

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey_Allen Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:21 pm

While nothing particularly spectacular has been going on with the swap due to other distractions, I did just manage to pickup a set of wheels and tires from a 986 that should work to get the power to the road once the swap is done.
Local OfferUp deal, picked them up for $100, and the wheels and tires all look decent.
One missing center cap, and the three remaining caps are missing the Porsche emblems, but I can deal with that in one way or another.

I just posted a Google Photos gallery of my swap project, where I'm stashing all the pics as I go along. (Along with one picture saved for the AN adapters required on the clutch slave cylinder.)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey_Allen Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 am

I just picked up a set of Lexus LS430 calipers from a wrecked car, and despite seeing pics in a few of the threads here, I was shocked at just how large these calipers really are.

Measuring along the disc edge, with a ruler just laid in the slot, they are almost exactly 11" from point to point, and 6" from inboard to outboard.

I'm going to try fitting the caliper on my friend's Audi Q7 and try fitting my Boxster 17" wheel, just out of sheer curiosity at what would touch, or if by some fluke I could possibly use the 330mm discs... Not that I need the added swept area (though I wouldn't complain!) but because I am building a hopped up street car, not a track toy. I have no need or desire for slotted/drilled/both rotors, and the SUV rotors are ~$30-50 for basic ones from reputable brands. The Boxster S rotors that I'm finding are gaudy with all the holes in them, and most are $100+, even from the iffy or no-name brands.

Now to actually make progress wrenching on the car, instead of planning and hoarding parts...

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey_Allen Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:41 pm

While the modeled adapter isn't complete, since I ran out of time after work on Friday, it did prove the holes dimensions and locations for the caliper side.

I still need to add the spindle mount holes, and solidworks was giving me fits as I slowly learn by doing...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hey_Allen Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:49 am

An update!

After a change of jobs and moving halfway across the country, the car is actually moving under it's own power.  Still on the stock engine, but it's semi-functional for the first time in ~12 years.

The clutch is still dragging as mentioned prior, but the stock brakes are functional when the booster is provided with vacuum. (The engine had so many vacuum leaks, it wasn't even funny...)
That said, the engine still has all the CIS fueling issues that it had before, so I'm slowly locating all of the parts that were collected, but are now jumbled into the boxes of garage stuff that were shipped.

Now back to the tinkering, it's time to get this thing under way again!

Hey_Allen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum