944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 85 5.3 swap
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyYesterday at 7:46 pm by tonyorlo

» Kooks headers on eBay
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 pm by Admin

» low cost and available bellhousing...maybe
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyTue Oct 20, 2020 2:16 pm by Admin

» Starter issues
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 12:48 pm by zeusrotty

» Sharkey's 944 corvette t56 swap thread
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyTue Oct 13, 2020 10:01 am by Myporschels

» FS: 1987 951 LS
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyTue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 am by carr911

» 5th gear options, Audi?
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 1:18 pm by acorad

» Garage queens
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 11:57 am by gdopnt

» Where did you find your LS1? I need one :)
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptySun Oct 11, 2020 10:33 pm by smkn951

» 78 928 LS1 swap initiated
My Gen 5 LT1 Build  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 12:21 pm by Hey_Allen

October 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

My Gen 5 LT1 Build

Go down

My Gen 5 LT1 Build  Empty My Gen 5 LT1 Build

Post  Babineaux on Mon May 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Hello All   👋

I recently I purchased a running and driving 88' 944S that was a barn find for $500 or so. Pulled from a barn on horse ranch. The body and everything is in really good condition but the interior was shot because the previous owner left the windows down and... yeah.. nasty and rusty interior around barn animals and trees. I originally purchased the vehicle for the engine and to be essentially a parts car for my other 944 (1987 944S) should I ever need anything. The car was originally black, but somewhere along it's lifespan someone painted it silver.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A few months after that I ended up getting an amazing price on a 6.2L Gen 5 L86 (Same engine as LT1, just with different intake manifold for more torque.) So my plans changed for the new car. Still plan on keeping the engine for my other 944, but now gutting out the barn find and trying to decide how far I take it on the race car spectrum (read: how much money to sink into it  Laughing ) The engine is a crate engine from my work and was used in a test mule, so it basically has break-in mileage. Seeing as it was used in a boat, there were certain things that needed to be done to convert it back to automotive use.

I searched and searched but couldn't find anyone who had done this swap, or is currently doing this swap. It looks like there's a few others on here who are doing the same, but I think i'm further along in the process. Given that there's no info online, there was a lot of research on my end and working with various companies to figure out parts. I've gotten most things pieced together now and i'm currently in the process of pulling the Porsche engine.

I won't really know if things pieced together will work or not until I test fit the LT. Once it's in, there will be a lot more to figure out i'm sure.

Hopefully my journey can help anyone else who will be tackling the LTx swap.

Last edited by Babineaux on Mon May 11, 2020 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

My Gen 5 LT1 Build  Empty Re: My Gen 5 LT1 Build

Post  Babineaux on Mon May 11, 2020 5:38 pm

The engine has been converted back to automotive use. This was with the L86 intake manifold. Has since been swapped over to the LT1 manifold.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Progress photos.. Pulling body panels. Eventually everything will be repainted, redone and so on. So the car will be stripped down in varying stages.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Mon May 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Pulling the 16v engine

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  ramone on Mon May 11, 2020 6:07 pm

Well done mate, nice to see some photos, i think i need to do this oil pan swap, the stock l86 is way to deep, i dont have bell house so i cant help you with that, i am exited to see more photos , good luck 👌

ramone

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Mon May 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Got the engine in for the first test fit. Am I the first one to fit a Gen 5 into a Porsche?  Cool  

The bell housing doesn't mate up to the torque tube. Just measured it and it's 0.925" (rounding to 1" inch to make it easier) short of mating together.

The bellhousing i'm using is the Quick Time RM-6033. It appears the problem may lie either with the depth of the bellhousing (not sure if the RM-6033 is the same depth as the OEM Gen 5) but I imagine the depth would be same and the bellhousing isn't my issue.

I'm thinking that perhaps the issue may be with the motor mounts. I'm using an ICT adapter plate that moves the LT engine mount to the LS location. And then using the LS engine mounts from TPC. I believe this combination is what's causing the issues with the engine sitting higher (the hood won't clearance) and the engine not being back far enough.

** Please Note **

This fitment was done without the cross member spacers installed. So the engine will come down slightly. I think even with the spacers, hood clearance may be an issue. Perhaps this can be resolved with the motor mount location on the engine. Things I need to sort out.

The cylinder head is about 1/2" away from the firewall. So if the engine needs to move back almost an inch, i may have to clearance the firewall (artistically rearrange with a mallet Laughing ) And it appears to encroach the brake booster area more than what i've seen with the LS swaps. Only guessing on this though. The AC line looks like it will have to be moved also. But i guess this will be fine if i switch to using a compressor on the stock side for the LT. Just will have to have new AC lines made.

The journey continues in trying to figure everything out!

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Tue May 12, 2020 5:57 pm

I replied to your other post about the bellhousing issue. As far as the brake booster goes, you are going to have no room for even the hydroboost that we use on the LS swaps. Due to the valve cover design on the LT engine, it will encroach way into the area where the booster goes. And the valve covers can't be modified because they are integral to the valve control. There are some remote mount electric brake boosters available, that might do what you need.

Also, the intake on a LT1 is somewhat taller than the LS intakes, and they just barely clear with some hood brace modifications. You will more than likely have to use some type of hood scoop for clearance.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Tue May 12, 2020 8:25 pm

Update:

I just pulled the engine mounts off and wanted to test if i could get the bellhousing and torque tube flange to mate up. And voila! I got them to mate. Was only able to get one bolt in as the engine was slightly twisted in the engine hoist. And as one person, I can't do both pushing the engine into being level and be under the car at the same time.

There is about half an inch or so of clearance on the drivers side valve cover and the fire wall. I'm guessing this is the same as LS swaps. I've never seen one in person to compare though. Also, the clearance/encroachment of the brake booster area looks to have gotten a little better.  

This photo was without the cross member and the engine sat lower. With the cross member, the engine had to move back up. Overall it sits slightly lower than the photo in previous post, but still looks like it may be a problem for the brake booster area

I was able to get the engine to sit down lower. But it will interfere with the cross member. I can notch the tabs for the steering rack and let the engine down a bit more. I DID use the cross member spacers from TPC this time Very Happy just to make sure

Lowering the engine also allows better clearance for the front end accessories. The L86 water pump touched the hinge for the headlight on the drivers side. With the engine lower, everything clears. So if i can't lower the engine, it looks like i'll have to switch to the corvette or camaro water pump for clearance.

I think what may need to happen is new engine mounts. The LT mounting points are (from eyeing it) directly in line with the cross member. And I believe the engine mounts will determine how high or low the engine sits and if the tabs need to be trimmed on the cross member or not. And will also affect hood clearance. In the photos below, I tested both the drivers side and passengers side mounts to see if the angles could match up on the LT mount points. Part of the photos were cropped in upload, so only one of the LT mounts ends up in the photo on the second image.

I think sorting the engine mounts may be where to focus. May take a bit of time to dial it in, but more to come!

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  ramone on Thu May 14, 2020 6:17 am

Great job 💪 all the work is on you, the first gen 5 swap, oil pan seems to fit well
Do you think the hood clearance is going to be a problem?

ramone

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Thu May 14, 2020 2:27 pm

Not sure about hood clearance just yet as I don't have the engine in its final position. It will definitely be tight and to be honest... I don't want a cowled hood as I don't think it looks good on this car. It can look good on certain cars, but in my opinion it's too much IROC Z and mullet hair for my taste on the 944.

I'm currently working on making engine mounts. I will be 3D printing the engine plate and the base plate next week to help me figure out the angle and height of the post part of the mount. In the images below, the post section is just for visual reference as I have no clue if the angle and height is correct for this application. And it's a matter of finding good position for the engine and still having clearance for the cross member/ steering rack. So as you know, it's not just slapping on engine mounts, but finding proper fitment all around and not stressing steering or drive components.

Also, I don't know how the depth of the Quick Time bellhousing compares to the stock LT1 bellhousing that's adapted. So I can only take into account the Fore and Aft positioning of my specific engine and setup. I don't know if the stock Gen 5 bellhousing moves the engine further forward or back towards the firewall to be able to calculate the angle of the engine mounts.  

These are the first mounts i'll be testing. As I dial in the angles and measurements, I may change the style up as well. Hoping in the next week or two I can get everything dialed in

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Thu May 14, 2020 3:02 pm

I got your build and another build mixed up. I thought yours was the 968. Since you have a 944, your torque tube should match up perfectly. The quicktime bellhousing you have is used on both the LT1 you have and the LS engines. So your spacing from the firewall to the engine should be the same as an LS. I have 2 LS swap 944's at my shop now. The rear of the cylinder head is about 3/4" from the firewall. I don't have an LT in my shop at the moment to compare the back of the engine to an LS. So, I don't know if the LT head protrudes farther back than an LS or not. But, I do know the LT heads are a lot taller than an LS, and the valve covers are taller as well. This may be the difference in your clearance problems.

And, trust me, a cowl induction hood only goes on late 60's, early 70's Camaro's. Mullet not required....
But your hood may require a hump added in to clear the intake and throttle body.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Sun May 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Partial Update:

Working out the drivers side (left hand drive) engine mount. Here's some images of the 3D prints for the mock-up before going to actual materials. Once everything is finalized, I'll verify everything with engineers at my work and will most likely use the same materials that we use in our boats to mount the engines. Currently the finalized "post" portion of the mount is being 3D printed. I'll be able to test fit later tonight. If all is good, i'll move on to the passenger side mount.

A few photos of the mock-up.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  4lo on Wed May 27, 2020 6:24 am

The Gen5 LT engine itself is shorter length wise than the LS from my understanding by .5" which is probably why you are short to the bell housing.

Can see the LS vs LT length below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Love the build and doing something different.  I had been looking at trying to run an LT4, but height was still the issue with hood clearance.  How does your clearance look with the heads/headers and steering shaft?

4lo

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 am

4lo wrote:The Gen5 LT engine itself is shorter length wise than the LS from my understanding by .5" which is probably why you are short to the bell housing.

How does your clearance look with the heads/headers and steering shaft?

Thank you for the visual information!

I have the bell housing mated to the torque tube now. The motor mount setup I had was an attempt to figure things out prior to testing in the car. They placed the engine too far forward. I've placed the engine in completely now with everything mated to the torque tube and i'm working out motor mounts. Just finished the drivers side mount and will be moving over to the passenger side this weekend.

As for Hood clearance, it's going to be tight. I don't have the hood on the car at the moment, so i'm not really able to test. Once I get a little further along, i'll be able to give better updates on hood clearance. Things will be a little slower going as I've been back to work and weekends are my only time to really work on the car.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  Midevil1981 on Wed May 27, 2020 1:24 pm

This is a great looking build. Keep up the great work and cant want to see the finished product. U might b saying good bye to the ls swap. Nah that wont happen. Lol

Midevil1981

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:41 am

4lo wrote:The Gen5 LT engine itself is shorter length wise than the LS from my understanding by .5" which is probably why you are short to the bell housing.

I believe this length difference is only in the Corvette LT1, it has a shorter crank pulley, rather than AC on a separate belt, it's on the same belt as the other accessories. The Camaro LT1 and L86 have longer pulleys, by about 1/2".

On my LT1/997 swap I am doing, the intake actually works in my favor. I am able to close the hood with the popup spoiler without cutting like most LS swaps have needed for height clearance. The throttle body inlet is tilted down, which helps a lot. I may need to mount the throttle body at a 90* angle however, I'm not sure on that yet.

superman22x

Back to top Go down