HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 944-LT1 LS3 Conversion
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptyYesterday at 11:38 am by ibdavid

» [WTB] Is anybody on (or near) the West Coast interested in selling their Hybrid Build?
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptyWed May 27, 2020 5:42 pm by BILL PRICE

» My Gen 5 LT1 Build
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptyWed May 27, 2020 1:24 pm by Midevil1981

» VW 1.8T Adapter plate
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptyTue May 26, 2020 8:22 am by 87944turbo

» 5.3L Trailblazer ECM & parts
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptyFri May 22, 2020 3:43 pm by 944Mike

» What's Wrong with my Tach?...Help
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptyThu May 21, 2020 4:18 am by Red944ls1

» V8 Conversion Parts
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptySun May 17, 2020 3:09 pm by CyCloNe!

» Do or Don't convert with L83 motor?
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptySun May 17, 2020 1:50 am by sharkey

» 86 Porsche 944T LS1 swap begins
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptySat May 16, 2020 11:37 pm by smkn951

» What LS Exhaust Manifolds / Headers
LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  EmptyThu May 14, 2020 8:43 pm by hp18racer

May 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968

Go down

LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  Empty LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968

Post  geegeesbits@gmail.com on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am

Hi there, having recently bought an LT1 gen V, Ive been hunting round for parts to swap this into my 968... Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance George....

geegeesbits@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  Empty Re: LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968

Post  Babineaux on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:55 pm

I'm in the same boat, except with a 944.

What parts are you hunting for and what parts have you found?

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968  Empty Re: LT1 gen V corvette engine swap to porsche 968

Post  geegeesbits@gmail.com on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:10 pm

the short answer is I've hit a bit of a brick wall.... From what I've read all the bolt patterns are slightly different on an LT1 compared to an LS.... The exhaust manifold/headers, engine mounting points and the bell housing, theyre all different enough to require bespoke parts, which I havent managed to track down. No one appears interested in the LT as theyre busy enough with the LS....TBH given the situation with the lockdown and the economy, I'm happy to leave it until people get round to doing the swap and designing the parts required....How bout you, how you getting on?

geegeesbits@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Yep! I was in the same boat. I'm glad to finally find someone else who's trying to do this swap and understands the struggle of being the first one doing it and trying to figure everything out on their own! It's frustrating, but it's also pretty cool to be the first one(s) doing it.

You're correct. Bolt patterns and various little things are different which makes it a bit frustrating when there's no help out there. Had to do a ton of research. And learning the various combinations on things. A camaro LT1 has a different setup than a Corvette LT1 and different from an L86.

I have an L86, which the only difference is the intake manifold has longer runners to develop more torque for towing in trucks. I put an LT1 intake on it, so now it's essentially identical to an LT1. I kind of want to try the new C8 manifold, but I doubt it'd work.

- I realize this may be difficult to follow without visuals. I'll work on getting photos and will do a build thread as well.

Motor Mounts

For motor mounts, i'm using the TSP ones for the LS. The guy said he had some older gen LT mounts just sitting on his shelf, but when I asked if I could purchase them from him to check if they'd work on the Gen 5, he went silent. So didn't appear he was interested in helping me and no longer answered my emails. From TSP I also purchased the spacers (no clue if i'll need them or not but didn't want to wait for them if i did need them)

I know what you're thinking.... LS mounts won't work on the LT Laughing And you'd be correct. I purchased billet adapters from ICT which takes the LT motor mount and adapts it to the LS location. ICT didn't specify if these adapter plates are for Gen 5 or the old LT from the 90's. However, they bolted on just fine and the LS motor mounts fit just fine on the adapters. I'm in the process of pulling the Porsche motor and will hopefully find out soon if the motor mounts and adapter plates work out.

Bellhousing

Next Major hurdle was thinking.... ok, I've got motor mounts now; How does it connect to the torque tube. Answer: Quick Time has a bellhousing that fits to the LT (presuming the older LT) and has the Porsche 944 bolt pattern for the torque tube.  RM-6033 is the part number if I recall correctly. Not cheap! I received the bell housing and it bolted right up to the L86 and fit perfect. And it's SFI rated, which is good.

Clutch

Now that I had a bell housing, I needed a clutch! I spoke with the owner of Spec clutches, told him my project and what I was trying to do and couldn't find any info/help anywhere. He was a great guy to work with. He put together a Stage 2+ clutch kit with flywheel and hydraulic throw-out bearing. I won't really be able to test the clutch and spacing for the bearing until i test fit the engine. I believe this kit is something that may already exist. The only difference is the LS has a 6 bolt flywheel and the LT has an 8 bolt. However, there is a particular LS that has an 8 bolt flywheel also (LS9 I believe?) I can provide you with the part numbers if you need.

- One concern I do have is the pilot bearing. I made the drive shaft in CAD from drawings I found and 3D printed it. I then test fit it with the OEM pilot bearing on the L86. It fit decently. I don't know how tight or loose it's supposed to fit though. On a scale of 1 to 10 (being almost impossible to fit in) I'd say it fit about... a 4 or maybe 5. The thing with 3D printing though, is you don't always get a true to size print. Once the material cools off, you get some shrinkage. And when you're measuring tight tolerances, it can make a difference. Another item i'll have to verify once I can test fit the engine. Unfortunately, there are no adapter bearings like for the LS swap or even the old LT swaps. So this is something I have to still figure out and verify it can work with the OEM Gen 5 bearing. If no modifications have to be made, that'd great news. Otherwise, I may be doing some McMaster-Carr research  Laughing

Front End - Accessory Drives

Moving forward to the accessory drives: I compared all three vehicles and their layouts (Camaro, Vette  truck) and I tried to see which one was most similar to the layout of the Porsche thinking it would make life a little easier if i didn't have to modify lines or routing of things on the Porsche. My main focus was keeping the AC as I live in the south and... yeah...  The only car with the AC compressor on the drivers side (so you don't have to modify the hard lines) was the Camaro. I bought the Camaro AC compressor bracket and it fits right up. However, the motor mounts interfere with it. So as of now, I don't think i'll be able to run AC with that bracket unless I fabricate something up. I'll focus on that after the more important things get sorted and the engine is in properly.

I'm running the truck water pump which opens up space on the passenger side of the motor. I wanted to place a power steering pump on that side since that's how it was on the Porsche. ICT makes a bracket for the alternator and to add power steering to LT motors which is based on the truck water pump configuration. As you know, the Gen 5 doesn't have power steering pumps etc (uses electric power steering) So this was a way to maintain power steering on the Porsche. Ideally i'd like to get a Turn1 pump as I hear the GM ones seem to have a variety of issues. Haven't pulled the trigger on the Turn1 because, well....  money Laughing

Once I'm able to test fit the engine, I'll see if my research and everything I pieced together will work out. I believe it should though.

The last major things for me engine wise are exhaust manifolds and the engine harness.

- I have some manifolds in mind, and they're fairly cheap ($199) from speed-engineering and are for LT1 swaps into various domestics. But I'm assuming they are thinking of their manifolds fitting in tight spaces. I may eventually try them first and see if they work.

- I don't have a harness with my motor and I need to find one! There are options out there for OEM harnesses that have been converted to stand-alone. They get quite pricey and end up in the range of just buying a holley engine management with way more capabilities. However, I only see things for the LS and nothing that says it's for the LT. I'd like to contact Holley and see if they have any solutions. For the same price, i'd rather go full blown engine management instead of a hacked OEM harness with less tuning capabilities (maybe i'm wrong on that though)

I know this has been long-winded, but hopefully it takes a few bricks out of your wall. Or perhaps you can give me feedback on what I've put together. Again, I will work on getting photos and part numbers for everything.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  geegeesbits@gmail.com on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Wow that's great, you've done an amazing job! .... I forgot to add I'm in Leeds England, and my 968 was a tiptronic, so I currently have my mechanic replacing the tip box with an early 944 turbo box with LSD. That swap has issues of its own, but I need that installed before I get on with the LT swap.

I did email the owner of Spec, and as you found, he was immensely helpful, unlike pretty much everyone else....

Im going to cheat, and Im looking at buying an LT bellhousing and taking it to a friend who has a performance shop, along with the car and engine and see if he can fabricate the parts required for the install..hopefully you can see the Individual throttle bodies he made for a 944 S2? Also hes talked about using a standalone ECU as he does that conversion quite alot at his place..

.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My car is also right hand drive, so my "drivers side" is the opposite of yours, and also being in the north of england A/C isnt so important to me..... So if you can find anything that would help me out when it comes to accessory drives which might be useful to me, I would be extremely grateful...

Thanks for the amazingly detailed message and I genuinely look forward to seeing some photos... My name's George by the way, whats yours and where abouts in the world are you?

geegeesbits@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Glad to see some more LT1 swaps! I'm in the process of swapping an LT1 into a 997 chassis. L86 is identical minus intake and oil pan. L83 is a little more different externally, but not a huge problem, for those looking into it.

If you guys need any bits machined, let me know. I just have manual machines, but I like one off projects like this! I'm currently making a bellhousing adapter for my transmission. Planning to adapt a clutch from a 991 GT3 (same as 991.2 base manual). It's a twin disc by LuK. It looks almost identical to the twin disc used by GM in the LT1/LT4, LSA. I plan to use an adapter with an LT1/L86 flex plate to use the whole Porsche flywheel. I've heard the LT1 engine is a bit sensitive coming down to idle based on flywheel mass. Stock LT1 dual mass flywheel is around 65 pounds. GT3 flywheel is 55.

Fuel system is the one spot that can be difficult on LT swaps. Most places say PWM is necessary. I think some top end aftermarket fuel pumps are PWM capable, but they are a bit pricey... So I bought a stock GM fuel pump (same for all L86 and L83 pickups, so very cheap) and pulled the pump and filter out of the stock sending unit and put it in the 997 one.

The fuel pressure sensor needs to be match to the generation E92 you use, either pre 2017 or 2017+ if I remember right.

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Nice to meet you George. Mines Jared. I'm in the states (Florida) but most of my family is actually in England. (Bracknell/London and Hastings area)

That sounds like quite the task to switch to manual! But sounds like you got a good guy on the job! I'm curious how the LT1 bellhousing works out. Is he wanting to use the stock E92 PCM and stock harness turned into a stand alone? Or going after market? That's an area I need to figure out, so any info would be appreciated!

As for front drive accessories, this is the method I went with. I'm sure other configurations can be done, but I had this water pump as my engine is an L86. It allows me to get the power steering pump (wanting to get a turn1 pump)  on the same side it was on with the porsche. No clue if it will help, but just wanted to try and keep things in similar areas compared to the Porsche hoping it helps in the long run with routing hoses etc.

All I did was purchase the ICT brackets. Used my L86 water pump. And mounted my alternator. I also need to install the ATI Super Damper I purchased.  

I can't post links, but if you go to offroadxtreme.com Then after the ".com" part, paste this to find the article.

.com/engine-tech/engine/electric-to-hydraulic-adding-power-steering-to-chevys-lt376535/

Hope that article helps!

And for the Engine mount adapters to use the TSP mounts for the LS. Copy and paste after .com

ictbillet.com

.com/ls-to-lt1-2014-up-engine-swap-bracket-conversion-motor-mount-adapter-plates.html

I need to start a build thread and lay everything out. I'm being lazy on that end and wanting to just keep working on the car Laughing  I need to find an image hosting place also.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  ramone on Thu May 07, 2020 4:27 am

Hello from Iceland i am so glad that im not the only one, i have L86 with BTR cam kit and lt1 manifold that is going in my 89 s2.
It has been headache from the beginning because no one wants to listen to my gen5 questions Laughing
i have not pulled the old motor out so im not gone far.
Do you guys know if the l86 oil pan will fit and is it impossible to use C5 BH ? i have alot of aluminum welding experience so that is not problem if i have to change few things.
sorry for my strange english typing.

Arni Gudnason

ramone

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Thu May 07, 2020 4:02 pm

Glad to see another LTx build!

As for the L86 oil pan. I'm not sure if it'll fit. Mine didn't come with the OEM oil pan as I purchased it from my work. I design boats for a living and my crate engine came out of one of our test mules (essential has break-in miles on it) We own a company that builds all our engines we get directly from GM and convert them to marine use. I had to return my engine back to normal vehicle use. My oil pan was a pretty beefy and I knew immediately it wouldn't work. I'm using the Moroso oil pan (Part # 20155) Which this oil pan is also used for the older LT from the 1990's when doing the swap.

The bellhousing on the LS and LT/L86 have different bolt positions. I believe mainly the top center bolt is slightly off-center due to internal engine bits being in the way that don't exist on the LS engines. Not sure if you can modify a C5 bellhousing to work or not. May be more work than modifying an OEM LT bellhousing like George will be doing.

I just pulled the stock 16v engine last night. And will now begin to test fit things. One thing I was worried about the most was the pilot bearing. It seems the LS swaps and even older 1990's LT swaps require adapters for the pilot bearing. The OEM Gen 5 bearing appears to fit perfect! Not sure how tight or loose the fitment should be, but it feels tight enough to ride on the bearing but slides onto the shaft easily. I'd say... from 1 -10 (10 being impossible to fit on) I'd say the fit was a 5. I'll have to break out the calipers and check measurements of the bearing and the drive shaft.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  Babineaux on Mon May 11, 2020 4:28 pm

Do any of you guys have the stock bellhousing? If so, can you provide me with how deep it is? I've installed the L86 and my bellhousing (quick time) is short of making contact with the torque tube by about 1.5" in - 2" in  (38.1mm - 50.8mm?) My bellhousing I believe is for older LT engines, Just want to figure out if the Gen 5 has a different depth.

The fun part of trial and error on figuring things out. Aside from the bellhousing, everything else fit well. The engine does appear to sit high (I didn't use the spacers) and not sure if the hood will have clearance even with using spacers.

Also, it appears the drivers side (left hand drive) valve cover encroaches heavily on the brake booster area that it doesn't appear anything will fit in that spot.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Perhaps what i've pieced together has made things not line up quite right, but part of the process I suppose.

Babineaux

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Tue May 12, 2020 5:46 pm

The 968 uses a different torque tube than a 944. It's shorter due to the longer 2 piece bellhousing and 2 piece driveshaft. You are going to have to source a 944 torque tube. It will bolt right in and still bolt to the 968 transmission. That will solve your engine placement issues for the most part. I'm not sure where the LT1 mounts are in relation to an LS engine. So, I have no idea if your engine is in the correct location overall.
Hotrodz of Dallas
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down