944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir

2 posters

Go down

Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir Empty Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir

Post  87944turbo Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:48 am

I have a question for the minds here related to my BMW H31 hydroboost setup.

I am having an issue where my accumulator will loose its capacity to hold the fluid in reserve and will dump whatever volume of fluid it holds (~ 0.5 qt.?) into the reservoir. I am running the stock PS reservoir and if I am keeping my reservoir at the recommended level, the reservoir will overflow when this charge is dumped resulting in a bunch of fluid on the floor.

This typically occurs after the car has sat for a few days.
I have read that this is likely a failure of the accumulator or the regulator. I have a new accumulator on the way, but regardless, this still presents an issue where in the event of an emergency, I would have a bunch of PS fluid coming out of the reservoir in the middle of a (likely) panicked braking event.

So coming to my question. Does anyone know of a large capacity PS pump reservoir that is available? I have looked around quite a bit, but haven't found anything. I would even settle for an aluminum one that could be modified for the extra capacity, If anyone has any leads or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

87944turbo

Back to top Go down

Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir Empty Re: Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir

Post  murrayg Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am

I have the BMW HB and IMHO, it's the best system to use for our swaps.  A bit complicated, but very reliable and the brakes feel just like before the swap.  I have an early car with S2 brakes and suspension.  It weights 1230kgs and stops amazing!  I used the BMW reservoir, mounted on the same mount that the Porsche reservoir was.  I used a Turnone pump on F body mounts.  And yes, its on the opposite side of the engine from the reservoir.  This was a bit troubling, but caused no problems.  I have a 1" tube plumbed behind the waterpump and under the TB from the reservoir to the pump.  It's a daily driver for a few summers now, and has worked perfect.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Good luck!
Gord.

murrayg

Back to top Go down

Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir Empty Re: Large Capacity Power Steering Reservoir

Post  87944turbo Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for your reply! I would be really interested to see how your line connects to the pump. That reservoir does look quite a bit larger than the stock F-body one. It's really interesting to have it in that location. I would have thought the reservoir would have been too low there. Good to hear that there are good working solutions out there.

I really do like the feel of the BMW hydroboost brakes. Like you said, they are quite complicated. I have a cooler and a filter hiding behind the bumper support, so can certainly understand what your saying. For me especially since I running manual steering, it seems like an awful lot of plumbing with potential for leaks, etc...

87944turbo

Back to top Go down

Post  murrayg Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:52 pm

The connection to the pump was stressful...but worked out well.  It's a new Turn-One pump for this swap, and is a bit expensive.  I removed the stock reservoir and threaded the fluid input of the pump to 1/2NPT (IIRC).  I was then able to thread in a  1/2NPT to hose nipple and used a 90deg molded rubber hose to connect the tube to the pump nipple.  I go to my local NAPA store and just go in back and hunt to find the hoses I need.  Often a complex molded hose will yield you quite a few 90's.  I have the top of the cap on the reservoir within 1/8" of the hood, and still the bottom is lower than the pump inlet.  However, the fluid level in the reservoir is above the pump intake.  It makes some wining sounds until the air is out of the system, then all good. I pump the brakes with the engine off until "power brakes" stop (the accumulator is empty), then fill the reservoir to the top.  
Funny addition...I also have power steering with the engine off, until the system accumulator empties.  Not intentionally, but that's how it works!

Good luck,
Gord.

murrayg

Back to top Go down