944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Power Steering Issues
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyYesterday at 2:48 am by spence

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 7:59 pm by chrenan

» WTB C5 2 piece bell housing
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 1:10 pm by alex456gt

» LS 5.7l into an 82' 928 - wiring assistance!
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 4:06 am by andypandy

» backwards LS6 intake
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 6:24 pm by murrayg

» Testing the waters. I have a working '83 944 with a '94 LT1 that I want to let go.
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am by Bmillar

» FS: 1987 951 LS
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 6:30 am by carr911

» Totalled 1985.5 Porsche 944
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 3:53 pm by Bmillar

» Clutch wont disengage!
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 10:51 pm by RobotMachines

» tachometer
LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 am by smkn951

September 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins

Go down

LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins Empty LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:37 pm

I found a solution I would like to share with pictures to show my way of getting around the hood latch while keeping my 4" intake on an LS3 installed in a 1986 Porsche 951.  I thought it would be impossible, but my wife said "NO DRILLING MY HOOD".
Here is what I did.  In the pictures you will see a silver colored chicken wire frame wrapped with  aluminum foil tape to create my mold.  I then waxed the aluminum so it would not stick as I wrapped it with ScotchCast Plus Casting Tape.  It is the same stuff used to make a cast on a broken arm.  Takes about 3-5 mins to dry hard.  I then cut a line on the outside bend to release it from the mold and super glued the line.  While waiting for the glue to dry, I put zip ties around it to hold the shape.  The cast was then covered inside and out with fiberglass resin to seal the pin holes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Notes:
1.  I formed the chicken wire loosely to account for the casting tape when it was done.  
2.  The center was made wider to allow for the air volume since I was compressing the circle.
3.  Both ends are still 4" allowing the full air volume to pass.
4.  I will be installing a 3/8" nipple in one of the silicone tubes for the PCV tube from engine.
5.  In one picture you can see where I made a cut on the bottom to press in slightly where it will rest on the headlight bar.  If you account for this while making the mold, you wont have to cut it like I did.  After it was all done I lightly applied a silicone grease on the headlight bar to keep it slick when using the headlights.  I probably did not even need the grease, but I did it anyway.  
6.  Yes, I had to cut the area open next to the latch to allow for this to pass through.
7.  EXTRA NOTE: I turned my throttle body upside down which gave me more hood clearance and set
up my ability to make this modification which all fits under the hood and NO CUTTING OF THE HOOD.
8. You can see in the picture that I took off the intake cover that is over the top of the intake for clearance. It still looks the same, but the cover had noise foam in it. Now it does not touch my hood.
8.  The top silicone tube is a 45 degree angle and I cut out a small corner of the hood latch for
clearance parallel to the silicone tube.  The pictures will help with this.  Hope you enjoy the pictures and
maybe an idea you can use. All of this allowed me to fit the LS3 with NO CUTTING OF THE HOOD.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

http://n4cr@comcast.net

Back to top Go down

LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins Empty Re: LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins

Post  gdopnt on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Hello,

I like the part you made. I also like the tube after your air cleaner. Would you share that part number?

Thanks, Sam

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins Empty LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Thank you for the compliment.  I hope it helps you.  I found that tube on Amazon for 49.23.
It is called:
Airaid 9641 Mass Air Flow Tube 4 in. OD Tube w/Hitachi Mass Air Flow Adapter Plate PN[9700] Mass Air Flow Tube

It has the fitting for the MAF and enough room on both sides per my engine directions.  It fits great.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins Empty Re: LS3 4" Intake solution keeping original hood lock no pins

Post  jHo on Tue May 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Nice solution!
Same location as mine, and I was also able to keep the flip up headlights, AC, and Power steering.

Are you going to put vent cutouts in the nose? I have not yet, but have been considering it (before I get a nice paint job).
jHo
jHo

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Tue May 01, 2018 10:10 pm

I have considered it, but my wife is a "NO CHANGES" and she wants it to look exactly as it was. I guess it will be a sleeper due to the LS3. She does not understand the challenges this brings, but so far I have been able to accomodate. I just got my new hood pads installed and everything still fits with no rubbing.

How did you make yours work? I love pictures which is why I put as many in my posts as I can.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down

Post  jHo on Tue May 01, 2018 10:35 pm

I do have a little rubbing on the hood from the rubber 90. But other than that, no real issues with the intake setup. It took a custom radiator overflow too.

That's funny about your no changes rule. My car currently is completely stock look, except for 17in wheels, and the bow-tie exhaust tip. I have been really wavering on the slots under the logo in the nose to see if that gets more air (I don't think it's starving, but common sense says that if I open that area up in front of the air filter, that would help, right?). I was also wavering on hood vents too, more so for cooling purposes, as I'm not sure if I want that look. But paint jobs are pricey, so I haven't had to make that call yet.

Anyway, here's some pics of my intake layout.
And you can see more of my car in the post I put up just after I got it on the road, I think it was titled "It's alive, another LS3 on the road" or something. That string has a bunch more pics, and all the info of my build.

Good luck with your build! It's worth it!

jHo
jHo

Back to top Go down

Post  Porsche951toLS3 on Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 am

That is an awesome 4" curved tube.  How did you make that?  I am very interested.  When you clean your filter, I would love to see how you made that and how it passes through.  Outstanding.  I am not sure how that would work with mine since my power steering is located where your alternator sits.  Everyone has a slightly different path to get it done. I checked my measurements at the area you put your tube and I only have 3.25" between the bar and the top metal which would cause me to compress the pipe. This is why I created the casting method allowing me to make it wider and provide more air volume.

Also, I too have air conditioning.  I installed the compressor and the radiator portion, but I do not know how to proceed with the condenser and hoses.  I just don't know where to even start.  If I just had the parts, I could bolt them up and have it charged.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Do you have a write up for it?

Thank you for your time with sharing this.  I get so many ideas from this forum.
Porsche951toLS3
Porsche951toLS3

Back to top Go down