944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
new project EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
new project EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
new project EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
new project EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
new project EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
new project EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
new project EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
new project EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
new project EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
new project EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

new project

+4
Techno Duck
matt889
Rich L.
matt5r951
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

new project Empty new project

Post  matt5r951 Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:37 pm

Greetings,

This is my 1st post, but have enjoyed reading the forums over the last few weeks. I just purchased this 86 951 with LS6 from my friend. Car is well sorted out, was running, but stopped running 8 years ago and has sat ever since. He lost interest and I had to "keep it in the family" knowing the kind of work he put into it. Below are some of the details:
- 1986 non-sunroof 944 turbo chassis with M030 suspension and LSD from 89 951
- CCW wheels with Big Reds, coil-overs, camber plates, billet a-arms, Racers Edge spherical bearings
- Roll-bar, transaxle cooler, 25 lb. Miata battery, spare tire well delete, no A/C or radio
- Katech oil pump, Lingenfelter cam, ported heads, fabricated intake for SLP Batwing filter

Car is on its way to my other friend's shop in Santa Barbara to get it running and sort through the rest. I'll post some updates along the way.

Matt
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty pics attached

Post  matt5r951 Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Car on trailer in NorCal headed to Santa Barbara. Forgot he did the 968 side mirrors and handles too. Not really sure what I've just gotten myself into, but it should be fun!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty a few more pics

Post  matt5r951 Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:48 pm

I don't love the look of the 924 Carrera gt headlights, but to plumb the intake and SLP filter to the intercooler inlet, he had to remove the pop-up light linkage and hood latch, plus it weighs less.  It should look nicer after I paint the fiberglass piece to match body.

matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty Re: new project

Post  Rich L. Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:17 am

nice looking car! couple things I notice, no heater and manual brakes. the latter could be an issue if the firewall isn't reinforced with a brace to the inner fender. but that's an awesome starting point for a very fun track toy!
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks Rich, yours looks nice as well! Yes, the heater valve is in a box of parts in the trunk and will be going back in. Thanks for the advice on the firewall brace, I haven't come across that discussion yet on the boards. I assume that's mainly for hard braking at track events only, or would you still recommend it for a street car with manual brakes? Also, do you have a pic of this somewhere? It sounds pretty simple, so I'll see if my mechanic can weld one in.

Thanks again,
Matt
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:13 pm

The car was set-up with smog stuff and cats to try and pass CA emissions test, but I won't need that here in Chicago so I'll be removing the custom headers, cat assembly, y-pipe and off-road y-pipe.  Here's a pic of the off-road y-pipe that was in the trunk that I'll be selling soon.  It's mild steel with a Cerakote ceramic coating.  Very nicely fabricated part, but it's very specific for this build.  I'm hoping to get a few bucks for it knowing it will likely need to be modified for your car instead of tossing in the dumpster.  I'll get full dimensions soon.

matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:18 am

what headers are you runing ? and does this downpipe have a muffler at the end or its just a downpipe with the y pipe ? interested !

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:44 am

The headers are custom made by the same guy and are short to mid-length ones designed to run with cats. I'll take a pic of headers, cats, and other y-pipe when they're removed from car in the next week or so.

Sorry, the pic could've been better showing the end flange at edge of photo. That would bolt up to your 3" rear section with muffler. I'm keeping the rear muffler section on the car, but will be installing Kooks long tubes with new stainless y-pipe (from Burns Stainless).

Thanks for your interest.

Matt
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:30 am

Hey Matt. Thanks! And here's a thread with info from xschop (our resident machinist) on bracing the firewall. Pic of his finished product is at the bottom of page 6 but there's design and explanation info on page 3:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Love your wheels. Techno Duck has those CCW Classics on his conversion too. Jealous....
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Rich, thanks for sending, I probably should've done a search first before asking Wink The pics help a lot, looks pretty straightforward. I had trouble getting on xschop's website, looks like he sells parts. Any idea if he has a new web address?

Yeah, I think the CCW classic looks pretty good on these cars. I read through Techno Duck's build, very clean and well done car. I'll be finishing up my center console and he gave me some good ideas on how to do mine. I had an 87 951 back in the day, and I had the replica version of the OEM cup II wheels you're running, still probably my favorite Porsche wheels for these. I might look for a set for the street.

Thanks,
Matt
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  matt889 Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Keep me posted on the exhaust and headers! Thanks matt-

matt889

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:14 pm

More pics!

What exhaust size was it after the merge? Looks fairly small, or maybe i just cant tell perspective anymore with the 4" i have on mine Evil or Very Mad . Just put a 3" on there and be done with it, looking back at it now going with 4" on mine was really unnecessary.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:27 pm

haha I'm trying Wink Problem is, car just safely arrived in Santa Barbara, and I'm in Chicago. The PO took that pic of the off-road y-pipe before he put it in the trunk getting it ready for the transporter. Even though my Santa Barbara friend who is finishing it is a great guy, I'm a little hesitant to ask him to take pics since he has a real business to run. But we'll see, he'll send a few I'm sure if I ask nicely.

Techno Duck, I can't find it now, but did I read in one of your old posts that you have/had an E36 M3 and E39? If so, we must have been cast from the same mold, as those are my other 2 cars. Additionally, we missed each other in San Diego by 8 years. I was born and raised in SD and lived there 28 years, great city. I had an 87 951 that was modded and serviced by Black Forest in the late 90s, and ran a few events with the local PCA chapter. I just remembered I had Derek Huntley of Huntley Racing mod my car since he was local also. I'm sure you know the name from your turbo engine days. Wow, that's bringing back all sorts of memories, not all of them positive haha.

Talk soon,
Matt
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:38 pm

I almost forgot, mechanic did say the car was greeted with these Kook long tubes that arrived (thanks Kent!).  He said they look pretty nice, I just hope they fit Smile

Also the Burns Stainless y-pipe showed up as well.  Things should start moving quickly this week.

matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:34 pm

Those headers look awesome, wish those were an option when i was building mine.

Had a '97 E36 M3 for a few years while i was finishing the 951 to fill the void. It was a car i always wanted in high school so i picked one up when they were still dirt cheap. I really liked the car but hated it on longer highway trips, geared too high for my liking. I bought a '03 E39 540i in 2014 that is now my daily, its an awesome long distance cruiser as i am sure you know.

I am in PB, so about 15 minutes from Black Forrest. I haven't had the need for any work done yet that i couldn't handle but ill probably be a loyalist to Mirage International in Miramar. The owner Jae is SoCal's Porsche suspension guru and was building the engines for the Singer 911's at one point! Ive been in SD a little over a year, it amazed me how many places i heard about over the years with the 944 are based in SoCal. Huntley i actually had no idea was in SD! But places like SpeedForceRacing, AutosInternational..etc. Its the mecca for old Porsche's!

There are also two other LS swapped 944's in the SD area, pormgb on here is one. Also i met another guy at the PCA auto-x's with an early 944 with turbo body work that has an LS2 i think.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Ok Jon, now I'm getting a little weirded out (in a good way).  Below is my 99 M3 coupe in silver, and my 03 530i sport in black, same as yours.  I wanted the 03 540, and still do, but I use my car for work so wanted the better fuel economy, etc.  I bought both BMWs years apart from one another and they both happen to be one owner cars from the same dealer, Crevier BMW in Santa Ana.  You should've seen the looks on the mechanics out here in Chicago when they see the condition of these old Cali cars.  They are used to looking at rusted out jalopies from all the salt ridden winter roads.

My next post will be about Pacific Beach Laughing
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Love the Contours on the M3, i forgot what the wheels on my M3 were called but boy did they suck to clean. My M3 desire came from high school, a guy in my neighborhood has an Estoril blue with M-Contours that used to pass me every morning when i was at the bus stop. That left an impression on me haha. The one thing about my M3 was that it was a north east car all its life. Well maintained and the body was solid. But the engine block looked like it was used as a boat anchor for part of its life lol. The control arms were also a nightmare to get out..i defaulted to my friends shop to install the suspension for me Laughing .

I actually wanted a E39 M5 but was scared away by the repair costs for the dual row Vanos and rod bearing wear. Happened to read about the '03 540i which is basically everything the M5 is but without the engine. The M62 still has some things about it like the timing chain guides..etc and typical crap BMW cooling system components and the usual valve cover leaks, but overall just cheaper repair bills over the S62. Gas mileage is crap around town though, lucky if i can pull 15-17mpg. But straight highway in 6th will pull 25-27mpg Smile.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:03 pm

Ok, I found one last pic to post before bedtime.  This is a pic of the transaxle cooler mounted around the area where the spare tire well used to be.  Clearly cutting out the spare tire well will give you more room to mount a transaxle cooler (and maybe a larger one).  But would having the well removed also make it easier to remove the torque tube for clutch work?  I feel like that was another benefit of doing this mod, but looking forward to hearing your opinion.

matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty Day 1 at the shop

Post  matt5r951 Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:34 pm

Heard from my mechanic today, and here's what happened on day 1:

• Installed new battery

• Drained, cleaned, and re-filled fuel tank

• Car cranks, has good spark, good injector pulse, no fault codes, but no fuel pressure

• Sprays starting fluid in, car fires up first turn, awesome!  Very Happy

• Checked wiring and fuel pump, power was there, but pump dead, new Walbro 255 pump ordered and will be there tomorrow

He's also started the laundry list of things it needs that I wasn't expecting, but should have given the car is 30 years old (and has been sitting for last 8 years).  Things like fuel fittings and hoses, all 3 window switches are broken, small oil pan leak, brakes drag, etc.  Overall, super happy, and hopefully we'll have a runner tomorrow! Twisted Evil
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty Day 2

Post  matt5r951 Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:36 pm

She's a runner...new fuel pump and filter installed, and she fired right up!  Sounds pretty good with shortys and cats.  Tomorrow the Kooks go on and y-pipe fab starts. Twisted Evil

matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty Day 3

Post  matt5r951 Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Kooks long tubes installed, he said they fit pretty well.  Hits the steering shaft a little, so he's gonna see if he can move motor slightly to clear, otherwise might have to put a small dimple in header tube.

Below is clip with open headers, sounds pissed off Twisted Evil

matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty VSS question

Post  matt5r951 Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:33 pm

So I spoke with mechanic today about the VSS.  The PO has used the 89 front abs rings and sensor to feed the PCM VSS input (car doesn't have ABS, just has the rings).  I've tried searching here, google, etc and have found some information on it, but my brain hurts now.  He plugged in his OBDII reader and drove around the parking lot.  Good news is he got a VSS signal from the PCM, but we don't know if it's accurate.  I had already shipped him the VSS kit from TPC to install, but mechanic thinks it's now unnecessary because car drove fine at low speeds, and he thinks the input is "close enough" for driveabilty issues and I should sell my TPC kit and move on.  I tend to agree, but I'd like your opinions before I decide.

Thanks for your help.

Matt
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:46 am

You don't really need it to be accurate unless your using an aftermarket speedo. Even then you can re-program the ECU to get it to read accurate. But since our speedos are driven from the transaxle, it doesn't really need to be accurate.

All you need the VSS for is to let the ECU know when the car is moving. The VSS tells the fans when to shut on/off, it also tells the IAC valve when to open/shut when you come to a stop (helps with stalling issues). I'd just sell it and move on.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  matt5r951 Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks spence, exactly what I was looking for! I'll sell it and have it adjusted by tuner if necessary. Anyone need a TPC VSS kit? Very Happy
matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

new project Empty Day 4

Post  matt5r951 Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Exhaust system finished today, sounds rowdy, I like it.  Car clearly running rich and needs a tune.  He's going to test drive it tomorrow.

matt5r951
matt5r951

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next