944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Hydroboost install EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Hydroboost install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Hydroboost install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Hydroboost install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Hydroboost install EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Hydroboost install EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Hydroboost install EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Hydroboost install EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Hydroboost install EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Hydroboost install EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Hydroboost install

+6
BeaverDeceiver
Lemming
P911P951
Rich L.
Techno Duck
hutchjc1
10 posters

Go down

Hydroboost install Empty Hydroboost install

Post  hutchjc1 Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:37 am

I have seen a few folks mention a write up for the hydro boost installation but have not been able to find one, has anyone written anything to act as a guide ? I am using the ford booster with the adapter and Porsche master and any advice from the folks that have installed theirs would be a great help. Looking for things like do you install the mounting plate first and then the booster or do you mount the booster to the plate and then install, not sure how you could get to the "nut " on the booster and add the snap ring from under the dash, any first hand knowledge would be great.
Thanks again for the help !
Jim

Last edited by hutchjc1 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

hutchjc1

Back to top Go down

Hydroboost install Empty Re: Hydroboost install

Post  Techno Duck Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:29 pm

To sum it up, its a major pain in the ass!

I would mock up everything first, just to get the orientation of the hydroboost unit correct then mark the position of everything. Put the engine in place, then refit and double check your clearance around the valve cover. You will have to relocate the two rear most coil packs if you havent already. Some guys have moved them to the frame rail, the shop that installed my engine had the good idea of mounting them higher up on the coil mounting bracket, just barely enough space to clear but it works.

If your satisfied with the fit, make your final alignment marks for everything then pull it back out to tighten the unit to your mounting plate. The really fun part is tightening that giant nut on the back. Someone on here had bought the proper socket which makes that job easy, we used the big ass wrench method. After my friends shop installed the engine they installed the hydroboost using the alignment marks i made. I am using the Ford master still, but it will be the same with the Porsche one.

Remember to thread the pushrod on the Ford hydroboost for the Porsche clevis. This was also a pain in the butt.

Some pictures from when i installed mine can be seen here..

https://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t1680p75-techno-duck-s-ls1-conversion

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:49 pm

The thing I've never liked with this installation is the clevis. But cutting off one of the sides, you're putting that bolt into single shear, instead of double. That's not a good idea with something as crucial as the brake pedal.

/soapbox...
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:17 pm

I found it was not necessary to modify the clevis as Eric had pointed out, i guess it has to do with where your mounting bracket centers the hydroboost. I was able to attach it onto the pedal normally.

You can see it on the right in this picture;

Hydroboost install IMG_0460_zps0a7d4c65

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  P911P951 Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 am

I used a heim joint in place of the clevis. Write up here:

https://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t2465-hydroboost-clevis-alternative

Working perfectly so far after 4 track weekends. Brake feel is great with no other modifications needed.

Jack

P911P951

Back to top Go down

Post  hutchjc1 Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:10 am

Either you guys are much more flexible and/or you are not as "fluffy" as I am, just trying to get the bolts through the firewall to mount the plate is a killer ! I assume taking out the driver seat will help so I will do that next. Can you remove you drivers side valve cover with the booster installed ? Looks like the PCV valve will be close too but that may change when it is all bolted down.

hutchjc1

Back to top Go down

Post  P911P951 Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:51 am

I am fluffy as well but car is track only and completely stripped. Those pics were taken during a trail fit with no motor and access where the HVAC use to sit! As far as valve cover, I have an LS2 and I could take the cover off since they are shallow and no pvc. Changing the rear most plug will be an issue on that side down the road. I expect I will drill a hole in the wheel well for access at some point. Headers, hydro, brake hard lines in the way from top or up from bottom.

P911P951

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Techno Duck wrote:The really fun part is tightening that giant nut on the back. Someone on here had bought the proper socket which makes that job easy, we used the big ass wrench method. 

I found one on Ebay, it was worth the $50, but you could easily make one as well.  I sold mine to someone on this forum after I dumped my HB.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  BeaverDeceiver Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:41 pm

I just got my Hydro boost from TPC and am trying to figure it all out. I would love if someone would post a pick the shows which lines go where from hydro boost to the power steering pump. One thing I did to eliminate some of the pain in the ass factor of having to put the bolts for the mounting plate through the firewall and tighten the nuts, while cramming my fat ass on my back in the footwell, I drilled out the bolt holes and installed nutzerts in the holes so I can just put a bolt in from the engine bay and call it good. I wish zee Germans had thought of that. Very Happy
BeaverDeceiver
BeaverDeceiver

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:39 pm

This is what you are looking for put the cooler before the reservoir after the tee. hydra tech braking is a good source for fittings, including the banjo to an6 for the rack. Verify the correct high and low on Porsche rack the pic shows ford I believe.

Hydroboost install Powers10

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:34 am

BeaverDeceiver wrote:I just got my Hydro boost from TPC and am trying to figure it all out. I would love if someone would post a pick the shows which lines go where from hydro boost to the power steering pump. One thing I did to eliminate some of the pain in the ass factor of having to put the bolts for the mounting plate through the firewall and tighten the nuts, while cramming my fat ass on my back in the footwell, I drilled out the bolt holes and installed nutzerts in the holes so I can just put a bolt in from the engine bay and call it good. I wish zee Germans had thought of that. Very Happy

While I like the idea of the nut zerts I'd probably do studs. I trimmed my booster plate to make it easier to remove the heads without dropping the motor. . The lower left corner would always get hung up on the very top of the head.

What kind of which nut zerts did you use? The more I think about it the more I like the idea. Lol
Can you get pics?

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:53 am

This is what you are looking for put the cooler before the reservoir after the tee. hydra tech braking is a good source for fittings, including the banjo to an6 for the rack. Verify the correct high and low on Porsche rack the pic shows ford I believe

Does everyone's LS power steering reservoir have two outlets like the one in the photo? Mine has one low pressure outlet and the reservoir attached directly to the pump.

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down

Post  phlip Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Thats a Ford resevoir in that pic. Most GM pumps have resevoir attached to pump so you will have 1 high pressure out on your pump and one low pressure in at resevoir.
If you are using the turn one pump which outlet restrictor are you using?
I started with a .140 restrictor and my steering is too light and brakes feel over boosted.
I have a .093 restrictor but have not installed it yet.
phlip
phlip

Back to top Go down

Post  gdopnt Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 pm

I bought a new one from hydra tech and he advised me to drill a 1/8 hole through mine. if your talking about the valve on the side of the pump. My brakes are very good , the power steering is just a little too easy.

gdopnt

Back to top Go down

Post  hutchjc1 Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:13 am

Is this a restrictor that is in place if you buy a pump from turn one for this application or is it something that still needs to be adjusted ? I assumed that their pump for the conversion was ready to go, is that not the case ?

hutchjc1

Back to top Go down

Post  phlip Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:23 am

I chose to run the turn one pump because of recomendations on these forums.
It was more expensive then a new stock pump but since I was running both hydraboost and
power steering I thought it was a good idea. The restrictor is built into the outlet fitting.
The pump works perfectly, no noise, I just think when I ordered they asked what size i wanted I asked for thier reccomendation as I wasn"t sure. The result was steering too light, and brakes that are touchy.
I purchased a smaller restrictor and was told that if the result was not enough power assist to
drill the restrictor .010" at a time till the desired power assist was reached.
The pump from turn One is conversion ready, I just think since its used on many different applications
and actual pressure needed was a bit of an unknown and when I ordered I got too large of a restrictor.
When I find time to swap restrictors I will post results.
phlip
phlip

Back to top Go down

Post  hutchjc1 Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:27 am

I had ordered mine through TPC so I assume they (Kent) knew what was needed from experience, so I think I may be good to go but will keep this in mind as it sounds like a way to fine tune it if needed.
Thanks for the replies,
Jim

hutchjc1

Back to top Go down

Post  FrostedFlakeJake Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:07 am

How much work was it for those who were running the mustang MC to switch to the 944 MC and the adapter?

4-6 weeks from Kent for the next run of 944MC to mustang hydroboost adapters and I was hoping to get started before then. I have the mustang hydroboost with mustang MC in my garage, but not installed yet.

FrostedFlakeJake

Back to top Go down