944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
CA smog and transmission sensors EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

CA smog and transmission sensors

4 posters

Go down

CA smog and transmission sensors Empty CA smog and transmission sensors

Post  v2rocket Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:16 pm

HI all,
for those of you in California with CARB-legal swaps...are there any sensors you had to incorporate to your car somehow to get the PCM to not show trouble codes relating to the transmission?

I have spoken with BAR techs/refs multiple times and have consistently been told that if there is any electronic control of the transmission (as is the case on OBD-II) that basically the transmission has to go with its partner engine to not throw any codes and therefore fail smog.

How do you get by this? VSS, gear position info, etc.

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

CA smog and transmission sensors Empty Re: CA smog and transmission sensors

Post  sharkey Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 pm

if you start with the engine and wiring harness from a manual trans car it shouldnt be too much of an issue. the only things hooked to the pcm on an ls/t56 combo would be the vss and skip shift solenoid. the vss is an easy fix with the kit thats out there. the skip shift solenoid isnt a big deal, basicly just put a resistor on the wiring for it so it doesnt set a code.

of coarse with ecm tuning you can take care of the skip shift solenoid codes, or if it came from an auto trans car you can turn off the codes related to the auto trans.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 am

With the BAR, you need to worry about readiness indicators being green or ready, this is achieved by the below drive cycle. Regarding the transmission, the drive cycle will utilize brake, clutch switches and VSS which are not related to the transmission on a manual car. I believe gear position only relates to automatic transmissions (electronically controlled) because I have not seen a sensor to detect gear on manual transmissions (take a look at the wiring diagram).

Here are the sensors that are monitored; I have added comments in brackets of what smog items influence these parameters.

4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes (VSS). During this time the O2 response (O2 readiness, no codes), air Intrusive (Air Pump function as it influences O2 voltages), EGR (nor relevant for 2002 Camaro's), Purge (Purge Valve Function), Misfire (No Misfire Codes), and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed (excessive Negative or Positive Fuel Trims).

If all of these sensors are in good order and you complete the below drive cycle, you should be in good shape.

Take a look at my smog thread, this is what I done to pass.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Something to bear in mind. With stock PCM software, the BAR have the ability to detect changes made to bypass the readiness process.  You can disable things like skip shift, but any parameter that influences readiness, if detected will cause a fail. The BAR inspector can use his test gear to probe readiness parameters for the desired output, if he gets the wrong result, he could fail your car.

As per GM :

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following in this exact sequence...

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup.

Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.Toque is offline
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:19 am

The guys were fairly sure that if there's any sensors on the trans hooked up to the ECU then the actual trans from the donor engine has to go as a package/combination.
One guy said there definitely would be such controls/sensors on an OBD-II vehicle.

Hence my confusion since you don't all have T56s in your 944s Smile

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:35 am

v2rocket wrote:The guys were fairly sure that if there's any sensors on the trans hooked up to the ECU then the actual trans from the donor engine has to go as a package/combination.
One guy said there definitely would be such controls/sensors on an OBD-II vehicle.

Hence my confusion since you don't all have T56s in your 944s Smile

When you go to the BAR, the referee will ask you what was the donor car, he will then print out the wiring diagram to verify what sensors and connectors to look for.

I went with a 2002 Camaro, he did ask me about the transmission but I stated it was a stock 944s. If you state you have T56, he may then look at the wiring diagram to verify that the necessary sensors are in place. From my experience, they are concerned with the motor and don't really seem to care about the transmission but it really depends on who you get. My referee was previously a GM technician, he didn't care about my transmission.

If you plan to run a T56, you can emulate a 2002 Camaro, here is the wiring diagram to veify what sensors are needed.

This WEB site is what I used to understand what sensors were needed for a specific year of car, very useful.

2002 Camaro T56 sensors. Reverse Lockout, Skip Shift (both Solenoids not sensors), Clutch Position Sensor and Brake position sensor found in the cruise control section.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  v2rocket Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:16 am

Where did you get your certification done? In San Diego?
I would likely be doing any conversion work at my house down there so your ref might be the right guy to see Very Happy

v2rocket

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:33 pm

v2rocket wrote:Where did you get your certification done? In San Diego?
I would likely be doing any conversion work at my house down there so your ref might be the right guy to see Very Happy

Yes, I got it done in SD Mirimar College. The ref was pretty fair and really helped me understand what was needed to pass. Many people make such a big deal over certification, if you do your home work its not difficult to pass.
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:51 pm

I thought this was an interesting read, its about an LS3 E-Rod engine (50 state compliant) install with a 3rd gen RX-7. Basically the emission testing was uneventful with the EO (executive order) sticker provided with the kit. Now this may have been a unique experience for these guys, but i think going with the E-Rod engine may not be all that bad an idea to try and simplify the process somewhat.

For sure many of the challenges pormgb faced would still have to be addressed like the steering shaft, headers and cutting up the cats to fit. But i guess once you get past all of that, getting it certified shouldn't be too bad.

This article shows what they modified with the cats to make everything fit and what was acceptable in their case.

Id love to bring my car out to San Diego, but i kind of feel i would essentially be doing the swap over again trying to get all the emissions to work. I would probably gut the entire swap and start over with an E-Rod LS3...ehhh i think ill just leave the car in NY Very Happy.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  pormgb Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Techno Duck wrote:I thought this was an interesting read, its about an LS3 E-Rod engine (50 state compliant) install with a 3rd gen RX-7. Basically the emission testing was uneventful with the EO (executive order) sticker provided with the kit. Now this may have been a unique experience for these guys, but i think going with the E-Rod engine may not be all that bad an idea to try and simplify the process somewhat.

For sure many of the challenges pormgb faced would still have to be addressed like the steering shaft, headers and cutting up the cats to fit. But i guess once you get past all of that, getting it certified shouldn't be too bad.

This article shows what they modified with the cats to make everything fit and what was acceptable in their case.

Id love to bring my car out to San Diego, but i kind of feel i would essentially be doing the swap over again trying to get all the emissions to work. I would probably gut the entire swap and start over with an E-Rod LS3...ehhh i think ill just leave the car in NY Very Happy.

Yes, defiantly an easier path but that kit costs around 8 grand. There are some guys in Orange County doing an E-Rod in a 944 Turbo; I think they have made good progress. They came to see my conversion to get some pointers and posted some comments on my conversion thread.
pormgb
pormgb

Back to top Go down