944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
JP's LS1 Conversion  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

JP's LS1 Conversion

+17
Hotrodz of Dallas
Public_Neudity
924sbc406
rygroves
matty89
sharkey
superman22x
rawr
jimbag
Rich L.
erioshi
Jchard944
T951
suboptimalfit
Techno Duck
99sierra4x4
jpkinerk
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

JP's LS1 Conversion  Empty JP's LS1 Conversion

Post  jpkinerk Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:34 am

Hey everyone,

So I've posted here and there since June working on my LS1 conversion, and have had a blast putting this car together. I'm coming up slowly on my first start, but thought I'd finally post some pics of the progress. Working on mocking up my exhaust next. I'm attempting to make Jegs 3" universal kit that dumps out infront of the rear wheels work. Soooo, I'll let ya know how that goes Rolling Eyes 

Anyway, cheers to you and hope to see you at the track! Maybe...if I'm lucky...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

JP's LS1 Conversion  Empty Re: JP's LS1 Conversion

Post  99sierra4x4 Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Looking Good!

I just finished doing my exhaust and with 3" dual pipes coming out the back, I couldn't get my muffler to fit and dump before the rear wheels.

Andy

99sierra4x4

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Well, i never really kept up this thread, but I'm back! After several iterations of the car, I'm making some corrections to my setup after pinpointing the things I didn't like during my first track run in Oct.

On the list is new Spec Stage 2 clutch with remote bleeder, MO30 sway bars, new torsion bars, reseal my oil pan, slap on a new starter, fix some broken grounds on my O2's and weld up some holes I found in my exhaust. Hopeing this resolves a lot of my isssues!

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:07 pm

OK, so I got the engine out and was getting ready to put in a new starter, re-seal my oil pan and install my new Spec Stage 2 clutch with flywheel, etc. THEN, I drained the oil and noticed the following...

I've used magnetic oil pan plugs before and I know it's normal to have a little bit of fine shavings come out during an oil change, this time however, it was more than I've seen before. No big chunks, but the oil itself also looked a little shimmery as you can see in a quick pan I took while it was draining. What do you guys think? Might a bearing be ready to go? My engine is an LS1 with 80k out of an auto Camaro SS. It made 317 whp on the dyno right before I hit the track in October, and that's all the more miles it's really had on it. All stock minus headers and a tune.

So, is this normal? Should I pull the crank and have it polished and replace the bearings? Other things I haven't thought of? Thanks for the input.

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:42 pm

You could send a sample in for analysis, however if you drained all the oil already and they weren't clean containers to begin with you may get skewed results. With that said whatever is in the oil will probably be so high in concentration it will be a smoking gun.

Pulling an end cap on a rod opens up a can of worms, many builders say the rods should be resized...it really depends what school of thought you want to follow. And with resizing the stock rods your probably better off just getting a set of H-beams lol.

Did you do any valve train work by chance? New springs, retainers, cam?

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  suboptimalfit Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:08 pm

that drain plug tells quite a story- and it isn't a good one.
remember that bearings have some layers, mainly soft ones that don't stick to the magnet...
what you have is bigger problems. somebody is shaving away steel in there.
might want to have a good look at the thrust cheeks on the crank.( too much clearance, forcing it forward/back).

good luck.

suboptimalfit

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Thanks guys. It's all stock in the valvetrain too. That's why the whole thing has been so surprising. I've owned several high mileage LS cars and none have had this problem, but things happen I guess.

As for the oil analysis, I still have the filter on. Would the oil from that suffice?

Lastly, assuming I need some serious work done, what is the best route. My plan was to stay stock with lower hp for more reliability, and work on my setup and driving skills first. With that in mind, should i do a rebuild? Find another used LS? Buy a built motor with some miles on it already? Try to rebuild myself? There's so many opinions out there that I'd rather here some educated ones from you guys.

Thanks, JP
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:37 pm

So today a buddy and I pulled the oil pan and main caps to inspect the bearings. It appears they're not in horrible shape, but I'm assuming some of that scarring in the middle of some of the main bearings could be the culprit? I have yet to inspect the rod bearings, but here's what I'm working with.

At this point I'm thinking of two options:
1. Pull the crank and have it polished and mic'd and then reinstall with all new bearings. Also, swap out the oil pump, rear main seal, front and rear cover gastkets, etc.  
2. Option one but with new cam, rings, lifters, etc. Basically a stock rebuild resuing whatever is safe to resuse (obviously the crank, rods and pistons maybe? I haven't done much research yet).

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  T951 Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:28 am

Where did you get or who made your exhaust?

T951

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm in the Cincinnati, OH area and had it made at Tri-State Muffler in Cheviot. I brought my own muffler and resonator and they fabbed up the rest for a really reasonable price. I highly recommend.
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jchard944 Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:37 am

Tri State does great work for a great price. Good to see another local Cincinnati build in the area.

Jchard944

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:10 pm

Well, the saga continues. After a long winter/spring/summer of the "racecar snowballing" effect, I got the car back together and tuned in time for one last race at Mid-Ohio...or so I thought.

The car dyno'd well at 380 whp on a Mustang dyno, but then the weekend before mid-ohio tragedy struck. I was doing all my safety inspections, shakedown, etc. I'm usually pretty thorough too, but on this particular day I forgot to put the hood pins in Embarassed . Well, you can guess what happened next. It was literally like and explosion, and caused me to lock up all four corners while slidinh across two lanes of traffic on the highway. I was lucky to not be hurt or hurt anyone else.

Anyway, I had it towed back home, got some new glass and a friend donated a salvage hood he repaired from a fire. So, I'm back up and running but unfortunatley missed all the track days available within a reasonable distance of where I live. Next summer I guess. In the meantime, I have some other issues to sort out like a bad wheel shake that appeared after the hood incident and not getting any power to my O2 sensors. Here's some pics...

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Not to add to your suffering, but the vibration issue could possibly be a flat spot & tire balance issue depending on how much tire was turned into black streaks and smoke.

Glad to hear no one was hurt. The rest can be fixed, even if it is a bit painful.
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:27 pm

I was wondering if that's the case as well, but I couldn't find any noticable flat spots, but I'm going to put a good light on them and look again. Even though new tires would be a bummer, it would be better than something else having been tweeked during the tow.

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:46 pm

Agreed. If nothing else you could always take them down to shop and see how they balance out. Even a small amount of uneven wear lead to a vibration.
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Hey team,

So the 944 bug continues to haunt my every move. Among my scattered posts you may have witnessed a swap, followed by a complete teardown and rebuild of the engine and suspension, followed by carelessness and a wreck, followed by track woes, leaking fuel vapor, misaligned front end, etc. So I'm tapping out...WITH THIS CAR ANYWAY.

Meet the new lady. She's a 1987 944 S w/ cruise, ABS, LSD, and working A/C. The car is complete, clean and a much better platform for my swap. I got my 85.5 with no engine and hence no clue if things worked. As badass as it still turned out considering, this lead to unreliability in terms of a street/track car. SO as you could guess, I'll be taking the drivetrain out of my current car, and selling the S engine, LSD, and other misc. parts (plus one 944 body, good for someone who wants a stripped race car with their own wiring, interior, etc.)

Anyway, here's the new ride. I'll post progress as it comes.
jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Wow, still has a belly pan! Nice car.
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  jimbag Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:56 am

I want the S engine. Please Email me, tempestmarineATgmail.com.
JIM

jimbag

Back to top Go down

Post  rawr Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:47 pm

Nice I'm just north of cinci

rawr

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:55 pm

So my first decision among many chances to "do it right this time" has come up. Currently I have a Turbo transaxle with cooler but NO LSD. This 87 S has a stock LSD with NO cooler. Is the 87 LSD strong enough to handle my LS, and do so without the need of a cooler? I will be tracking it, but not for more than 30 min at a time.

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  superman22x Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 am

I thought the S transmission had a different final drive than the turbo, is that what you want?

What wheels did you have on your first car? I like those.

superman22x

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm

the n/a and turbo transaxles do have a different final drive ratio, but the differential itself is the same and can be swapped. your best bet would be to put the lsd into the turbo trans. the lsd is decent from factory. you can also rebuild it with friction plates from an AOR and shim it a little tighter to make it stronger. the complete upgrade of it can be upwards of $500 though. if its in good shape its not nesessary though. past that there are aftermarket lsd's, but be prepared to spend $2k+ for one.

now if you want to run the factory oil cooler system with the lsd, that could be an issue. the gear on the diff that drives the pump is different between an lsd and non lsd, and the lsd one is rare and expensive. have a look around for one, you might get lucky, but there is other cooler options. you could run the non cooler diff cover and eliminate the mechanical pump setup entirely, then run an electric oil cooler pump and a stacked plate cooler with a fan. basicly you would use the drainplug as the oil pickup for the pump and the factory oil return hole in the back cover of the trans.

if your planning on tracking the car, id run a cooler system on the trans. the friction in the lsd causes a lot of heat, and from what ive read, it doesnt take these transmissions very long to see 250*f on the track without a cooler.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks Sharkey, great info.! It sounds like my best bet is to either swap the LSD diff from the S into my Turbo trans, but I'm thinking for the trouble, I might just sell the S LSD whole and hang on for a good deal on an AOR. Between selling both transaxles, I think I'd have close to enough to buy an AOR.

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpkinerk Tue May 09, 2017 7:01 pm

Well, I haven't started the transplant from my 85.5 to the 87, but only because (of course) the 85.5 is finally running right, at least for the track. It's still plagued with some electrical issues and fumes in the cabin, but damn is it fast! Here's some pics from Putnam Park the other weekend. Heading to Mid-Ohio June 10th, and then I'll think about starting the swap...maybe...

jpkinerk
jpkinerk

Back to top Go down

Post  matty89 Wed May 10, 2017 5:16 pm

glad to see ur having fun do you still have a vibration ?

matty89

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next