944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
LS Steam Vent EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
LS Steam Vent EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
LS Steam Vent EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
LS Steam Vent EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
LS Steam Vent EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
LS Steam Vent EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
LS Steam Vent EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
LS Steam Vent EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
LS Steam Vent EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
LS Steam Vent EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

LS Steam Vent

+5
944-LT1
Rich L.
Admin
marc a
99sierra4x4
9 posters

Go down

LS Steam Vent Empty LS Steam Vent

Post  99sierra4x4 Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I searched this forum up and down, with no real answer to my question.

I have the L33 5.3L installed in the car, with the LS2 Intake, and the Original Steam Vent / Coolant Crossover tube does not fit on the front of the engine where it used to (connecting the two heads, due to the LS2 intake) so I put it in the back where it does fit, and put the plugs up front.

Is that ok? I was kind of wondering about the air pocket maybe not being able to escape because of the engine tilt. Or do you run the LS1 type?

Any help / pictures, or a part number would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy

99sierra4x4

Back to top Go down

LS Steam Vent Empty Re: LS Steam Vent

Post  marc a Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Here is my set up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm

You can drill and tap the plugs for 1/8" NPT ans install soft lines. I have done that on a couple of occasions.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:13 pm

I have all 4 vents out the front with the ls1 intake. Most of these cars run with just the 2 front. Mine is like marc's but tee'd in a little lower due to the location of my intake.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cools well even though I badly overheated it when the serp belt snapped.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 pm

Last edited by Rich L. on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : booyeah, i am the master of the search)
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:15 pm

944-LT1 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That's a nice article on cooling. I have my steam vents going directly to the rear port on the surge tank (stock 944 reservoir).

Below is a section cut and pasted from the article

I hope by now that you can see why simply capping the steam ports at the cylinder heads is a really bad idea as this will allow steam to get trapped exactly where it can do the most damage.

You may also read where folks run the steam lines back into the low pressure side of the cooling system - sometimes by putting a fitting on the thermostat housing, and sometimes by plumbing them directly back into the heater core return port. I imagine that the hope is that any steam pockets will then go back into the general cooling system flow with the hope that they would eventually migrate back to the area below the rad cap, wherever it may be. I have to be honest - this strategy makes no sense to me at all and is not supported by the laws of thermodynamics. It seems to me that doing this is asking for the steam to just re-circulate until it gets trapped somewhere at the highest point of the system - possibly in the steam line itself before it turns down to go to the low water pump inlet.

Regardless, the best strategy is to plumb the LS steam tubes either to the high point of the low pressure side of the rad or directly to a surge tank.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  99sierra4x4 Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Guys!

i am going to get the correct steam tube for up front.

99sierra4x4

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty Sat May 28, 2016 10:11 pm

So I've been reading on this quite a bit and I'm having a ton of problems. I have had my steam tubes plumbed into the expansion tank on previous motors with no issues. But when I went with my 426 ci motor I had to go with a 4 port system (all four steam vents into one) and now I can't seem to get rid of that heat from the steam vents. My system just keeps heating up. What cap are you guys using that "gets rid of the steam" that gets routed to the expansion tank? It seems like our radiators are so low that the steam might be building in there? I'm confused... Should I just buy a new radiator that has the vent tube for the LS cars? Get a better set of fans, an overflow tank and just be done with it? What is the optimal setup?

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Mon May 30, 2016 2:25 pm

The steam vent is just to help purge air trapped in the heads after refilling the system. Once the cooling system is fully purged of air only coolant is going through the steam vent. I am using the standard 944 Behr 1-bar cap with the steam vent tied back into the expansion tank.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  zeusrotty Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:45 am

Are you T-ing it into the main .75" hose from the rad to the tank? Because when I tried hooking it directly to the tank port in the back it would overheat quickly. Now I have it T-Ed into the .75 hose and it seems to be better, but not optimal.

zeusrotty

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:08 am

The steam vent will need to be tied into in the system where the water pressure is low.  That is why it is typically piped back to the expansion tank or a similar low pressure area.  That allows the pressure from the cold side (or high pressure portion) of the cooling system to push the air and/or steam out the vents and be collected in the expansion area.

It is also probably best to plan for the steam vent path to be as uphill as possible into the expansion tank or point where it joins the low pressure side of the system.  And just for reference, the closer to the water pump inlet you are, the lower the pressure will be; the closer to the water pump outlet you are, the higher the pressure will be.
erioshi
erioshi

Back to top Go down