944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
mounting early trans into a late car EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

mounting early trans into a late car

3 posters

Go down

mounting early trans into a late car Empty mounting early trans into a late car

Post  jsautomotive Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Here is my current issue. After stripping down my 83 for the conversion and finding way more rust in the floors and firewall, I bought a mostly complete solid rust free never been apart 87 automatic car, no motor or trans. I got the front suspension swapped out and in the "new" car with no problems. I have removed the entire rear suspension, torque tube, pedals, etc to convert the 87 to a 5 speed car. Now here is my dilema, and I need advise on what to do next. Obviously the early and late transmission mount differently, and my trans does not have the casting for the late mounts. Has any one on here modified a late mount so that a early trans will bolt to it? I have access to a friends 951 that I can take measurements off of so that everything is in the correct place, and am not afraid of fabricating my own mounts. I have a late trans mount and obviously the early mounts. Buying a 951 trans and doing the 5th gear swap isnt in my budget right now, even though that will come in in the future. BTW my trans is a early LSD, I know the speedo wont work with it thats what GPS is for. Thanks for any advice, help or suggestions.

jsautomotive

Back to top Go down

mounting early trans into a late car Empty Re: mounting early trans into a late car

Post  944-LT1 Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Triple conversion eh?

Well the manual transmissions share the same castings. The mounting provisions for both early and late cars are in all manual transmission castings. You have an early manual transmission which will bolt into a late manual car just fine (I have an early tranny in my 87). Your early manual tranny should have these two bolt holes/bosses as seen below...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The late automatic cars have the same carrier as the late manual cars (black bar below)...

As well, both auto and manual cars use the same mount. So, what you need is the mount support (below) which can be found used on ebay for around $40.

So it should be a matter of unbolting the automatic support on the mount and replacing it with the manual version. Then the early manual transmission can be bolted to it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

mounting early trans into a late car Empty Re: mounting early trans into a late car

Post  jsautomotive Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks. I have all the needed parts, but my trans case does not have the 2 bolt holes in the casting, it is smooth in that area. The stamping on the bell housing is 8Q22102, LSD 22nd oct. 82 build date. the part number on the driver side of the case is 016301103. Do I just have an oddball transmission? Thanks.

jsautomotive

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Wow sorry about that. I wasnt aware that there was a 944 transmission that didnt have those holes...really weird because the transmission I posted a picture of above has the exact same part number as you posted!

Anyway, you still have another choice. You can swap the front transmission case which can be found used on ebay for roughly $100.

Otherwise...we need some help in this thread cause I havent a clue on how to build custom mounts for that transmission.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

mounting early trans into a late car Empty Early trans in late 944...

Post  chasse1118 Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:56 pm

What are you going to do for speedo? early 944 works of front wheel, late are electronic from trans. Correct me of i'm wrong.

chasse1118

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:55 pm

If he were to switch to a late case, he could use the late speedo.

If not, he could use this... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down