944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Similar topics
Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage

+4
944-LT1
Porch
marc a
Schuepbach
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage Empty Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage

Post  Schuepbach Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm

I have an older RH pan in my car(or so i was told by RH) and seem to be experiencing some minor seepage/drops out of the drain plug. I'm curious if this is common w/ aftermarket pans and if there are any easy solutions.

Currently i put some tread tape on the bolt and used a copper washer but its not doing the trick. I also found the bolt is only going to a certain torque and doesn't tighten down correctly. Its like it keeps spinning in place, which i think might be from the thread tape. I really don't want to pull the pan and rethread it. I want to see what yalls recommendations are before I drain the oil on saturday (or if a little drop here and there is acceptable for the track).

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage Empty Re: Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage

Post  marc a Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:52 pm

An oil pan bolt spinning in place means that it is stripped unless I'm not understanding your description. This needs to be repaired straight away.

All that needs to happen is for the bolt to give way and the guy behind you (and anyone behind him) will be really pissed off when their cars land in a tire wall, fence or armco. I hit antifreeze one time and was very lucky not have totaled my car.

Please do not fool around with this.

Marc

Last edited by marc a on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:54 pm

My RH pan seeps a little too, but i don't have a problem getting the bolt tight. How much oil are we talking, here?
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 pm

ya thats why i want to fix it before it hits the track. I've seen plenty of oil disasters on track, hit coolant before and have plenty of motorcycle buddies that wouldnt be happy with me haha.

I'm gonna jack the car up on saturday (outta town all week for work) and see whats going on. Its not loosely spinning in there, i just can't get it to fully torque down.

I'm guessing I'll have to pull the pan to repair the threads? Or could i hook up a magnet or two while i repair the thread, flush it a bit w/ some motor oil, and then hope the filter catches the rest?

@Porch it sits for a week or two and there are a couple small lines of oil from the pan to about behind the front seats on the garage floor. It really isn't much, i have yet to see my oil level change.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  marc a Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Here's me hitting diff oil at VIR (South Bend turn):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The guy behind notes debris flag, but it was two flag stations before the turn that I spun in. He also notes that my rear tire hits the curb, but that is not why I spun as I run over that curb every time I take that turn.
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 pm

If the plug isnt fully seating/sealing, I wouldnt force it.

Sounds like it could be the wrong drain plug (sounds crazy but so does mailing out pans to customers with two dipstick holes). I would buy a new plug that milodon specifies or that you can measure. To check whats going on and with the possibility of a repair, I would jack up just the drivers side as high as you safely and securely can, pull the plug and drain whatever comes out (shouldnt be too much). Then, inspect the threads of the bung and the plug. Make the necessary repairs (or try a new plug from your local autoparts store) and afterwards, lower the drivers side all the way down and jack up the passengers side a bit. This way the oil in the pan will flush out whatever you may have gotten in there during the repair. To be completely anal, you could get a new plug with the built in magnet; only if youre scared that shavings got in there.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:36 pm

I'll give RH a call and see what they say the specs on the bolt are. Get a new bolt and do what you say. I've pulled the bolt once for the initial oil change and hand threaded it back in making sure i didn't strip it. Nonetheless something is up.

I initially thought it was the AN lines or the rear main seal(brand new, Eric installed it) but I couldn't find oil on the back of the pan or by the connections.

944-lt1 I think you got the sides confused, at least on my pan the drain plug is on the passenger side.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Thats weird. Mines on the drivers side....not confused just trying to help.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 pm

def appreciate the help.

and yep mines on the passenger side....pesky RH

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Ah ha!

I assumed this was a new install (car not yet driven). But youre saying this is a new problem after a period of time without leaks. Gotcha. Carry on.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  RobotMachines Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:49 am

Check out the cut ground wire on the cross-member that I think goes to the steering rack. I remember making sure I attached mine but, to this day, haven't figured out exactly why it's needed. I do remember having the feeling that it's something to do with static electricity building up/charging the hydraulic fluid.

Yah, off topic.

Actually, it's just probably for the horn ground.
RobotMachines
RobotMachines

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:00 am

marc a wrote:Here's me hitting diff oil at VIR

Wow! "Excellent spin control" is right. Well done Marc! I see you try to counter but it's not coming back so you lock up the brakes to ensure you go straight off and stay off. Perfect thing to do with a car behind. I made the mistake once early on in my track experience to keep trying to save it too long and ended up crossing the track. Luckily I did not have a car behind. A corner worker took me aside at lunch and explained what I did wrong.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 am

944-LT1 wrote:Ah ha!

I assumed this was a new install (car not yet driven). But youre saying this is a new problem after a period of time without leaks. Gotcha. Carry on.

The motor prob has around 10-20 hours on it, so its fairly new. This problem started after I did some initial driving w/ it. But it has now gotten worse w/ the drain plug not seating properly.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 am

RobotMachines wrote:Check out the cut ground wire on the cross-member that I think goes to the steering rack. I remember making sure I attached mine but, to this day, haven't figured out exactly why it's needed. I do remember having the feeling that it's something to do with static electricity building up/charging the hydraulic fluid.

Yah, off topic.

Laughing Laughing Laughing my car starts and doesnt drain the battery so i'm sure its ok. I also forgot what it was for, but it doesnt seem essential. I may just take it off completely for weight savings.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:58 am

Id just call them and tell them you cant have that kind of failure on your track car and that youre sending it back for either a replacement or repair. I hear they had many failures with their modified pans being warped or not sealing at the I/O port section of their pans. I guess theyve since fixed that problem so the pan you get back may be the updated version which is better for your situation.

Regardless, good luck.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 am

well the problem is that I bought the kit "second hand" even though it hadn't been installed yet. The guy had bought everything, then decided he no longer had the time/cash to do the swap, and for some reason was nearby my house.

I've contacted them about sending the pan back and they didn't seem that enthused. In the long run I may just have to buy one of Eric's pans and do the swap. But first I want to see if I can fix this thing.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 am

It shouldn't be that difficult to repair, worst case. Most automotive parts shops will sell oversized drainplugs.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  marc a Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks, but when you have been off the track as many times as I have eventually that kind of stuff becomes reflex. Embarassed I also CLOSED the wheel after locking up so that the car would not go straight into the tirewall backwards.

Rich L. wrote:
marc a wrote:Here's me hitting diff oil at VIR

Wow! "Excellent spin control" is right. Well done Marc! I see you try to counter but it's not coming back so you lock up the brakes to ensure you go straight off and stay off. Perfect thing to do with a car behind. I made the mistake once early on in my track experience to keep trying to save it too long and ended up crossing the track. Luckily I did not have a car behind. A corner worker took me aside at lunch and explained what I did wrong.

Rich
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Oil Pan Drain Plug Leakage Empty Drain plug

Post  fliermike45 Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 pm

How about a helicoil?

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Schuepbach wrote:
RobotMachines wrote:Check out the cut ground wire on the cross-member that I think goes to the steering rack. I remember making sure I attached mine but, to this day, haven't figured out exactly why it's needed. I do remember having the feeling that it's something to do with static electricity building up/charging the hydraulic fluid.

Yah, off topic.

Laughing Laughing Laughing my car starts and doesnt drain the battery so i'm sure its ok. I also forgot what it was for, but it doesnt seem essential. I may just take it off completely for weight savings.

That wire is the horn ground....

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:24 pm

fliermike45 wrote:How about a helicoil?

its on the list of repair possiblities, I won't have to change the bolt diameter.

if the thread isn't bad i could always just run a tap through it to clean it up.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:11 pm

well i got the car on jacks and it looks like the pan isnt sealing right. There are drops of oil on the rear mounting bolts. Looks like its time to get one of eric's pans.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:29 pm

looks like its coming off the corner w/ the oil ports...great

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  marc a Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:45 pm

A good welder should be able to seal any seam issues since the pan has to come off one way or the other.

Hopefully the worst part is taking the pan off and putting it back on.

If you haven't upgraded the rod bolts now would be a good time to do it. Based on what I read about the LS1 before I did the conversion, the rod bolts seem to be the only suspect part internally. So for 60 bucks or so get a set of ARP replacements. As an aside, I was completely blown away when I saw the rod caps . . . . it looks like someone drilled two holes at the end of rod and then snapped off the end half way around the journal. No chance of putting the wrong end on a rod!!
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:52 pm

I actually think the pan isn't flat, either way it has to come off which doesnt make me happy. I'd much rather just take it to eric, get a quality pan and know if something goes wrong he'll back it up.

I used ARP rod bolts, main studs, head bolts and oil pan bolts.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next