944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

+40
matty89
matt5r951
hutchjc1
Sterling Doc
Porvette951
Rich L.
docwyte
Techno Duck
P911P951
JJR512
money pit 951
acorad
chadfjones
thom
Gutterboy
pormgb
Geoff Daniels
Powerman951
RS Technic
haroldk
Homeboy981
DJ.
gdopnt
rooster
spence
Tehone
944convert
ZNix
fliermike45
Big E
Arthropraxis
944-LT1
aussiebj
shokwave30
zeusrotty
Lemming
Marky522
948inVA
Admin
44 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 Empty Re: Techno Duck's LS1 conversion

Post  Techno Duck Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Spent some time figuring out the fittings for the Ford master cylinder. It will be much easier than i expected! The Ford master is M10x1 front and rear, same size as the existing hardlines. The only thing that needs to be done is adding a splitter for the front left and right sides. I wasnt able to find anything initially in metric sizes so the plan at first was to convert the M10x1 to a -3AN and use a steel T fitting.

I was looking around for some parts for my M3 and noticed a 'you may be interested in.." box on ECS Tuning. Low and behold, it was showing a 3-way splitter for a BMW with the sizes M10x1! So that worked out easy..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Homeboy981 Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

TD,

You are SO CLOSE now! Quit that job and get this build finished! You may even still make a track day b4 the weather turns!

That car looks like it will rock! Too bad it will be sooo fast most people will not get to see it…except at the light. Thanks for the inspiration (and perspiration).

Good work!

Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 am

While the job does put me away from home 6+ months out of the year it does fund my money pits!

Haven't been home for about a month so I'm unsure if any further progress has been made. The car should be done... With emphasis on should considering I haven't heard anything since I left. I intend to move the car elsewhere when I get back if its not yet complete. This project has dragged on far too long and I've basically lost another year of track events because of the delays and lack of priority.

I have talked with another trusted shop nearby that is willing to finish the car in its current state with an estimate of it taking about 2 weeks based on the work that needs to be completed

Ill be home later in the week to sort this out, so hope to have the car running before I leave again. Only 6-7 months behind schedule. Looking back, if I could do it again I would have shipped the car to TPC in the first place back in November, I would of had an entire year to drive it! Deciding to try and keep this project local was the big mistake that cost me another year.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm

gawd...it's about the size of an aircraft carrier ! affraid 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Progress sort of came to a halt over the summer, but things are moving at a good rate now.

Waiting on parts right now; hose, fittings and the radiator. I decided to scratch using the stock turbo rad and ordered the conversion radiator from Renegade.

Decided to take the shops suggestion as well and see if we can fit the C6 style intake components under the nose panel. I really like how Max Energy's LS3 car is setup with those parts, so they are going to try and do something similar. With that said, the hood latch and headlight bar are now coming out for sure. Picked up a set of the headlight bar delete brackets from VT951 on RL and will now be doing the Aerocatch hood latches aswell. Talk about project scope creep! I may eventually put a 914 headlight motor in or go with the fixed GTS style lights.. something to worry about after the car is running!

I stopped by today and things are looking good; heater hoses and the control valve are all mocked up. Coils have been relocated to clear the hydroboost and the fuel line layout has been figured out.

They also put on 944convert's Wilwood clutch master setup, fits great!

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Techno Duck wrote:They also put on 944convert's Wilwood clutch master setup, fits great!
Tehone will be happy to know that...I sent him one as well Smile 

You are sooo close...it's all down hill at this point !

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Techno Duck.

Oh man that does look nice. I also have one of the clutch M/C mount from 944convert.

I haven't gotten to the firewall to install the plate as my car is/was an auto and I need to knock out the plate covering the M/C hole. Kinda dragging my feet as I have been trying to install a power rack and the rest of the front suspension turning the stationary body back into a roller.

The picture really tells me a lot as I wondered what and how it looked. I am anxious now to get this area taken care of.

Thanks for the photos and good job.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 pm

I am trying to think of a way the clutch master can braced, maybe up against the strut tower. The firewall flex does worry me a little. Though i wonder, how much heaver is the clutch (i would guess a standard C5 vette clutch?) than the standard 944? I was running a KEP Stage 1 pressure plate when the car was still turbo'ed, it was slightly stiffer than stock but not by much, but then again the stock clutch feel is so light its hard to compare it to anything other than a Honda Civic. I am using a Spec Stage 2 clutch package, from what Spec told me when i ordered it, the pressure plate is the same as the stage 1 package, just the clutch disc changes. So i am hoping its not too stiff.

Anyhow, i sort of lost interest / motivation on the car the past few months. But seeing the progress being made really made me excited to get this car done finally. Really looking forward to getting it on the track next year.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  haroldk Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 am

Techno Duck wrote:
Anyhow, i sort of lost interest / motivation on the car the past few months. But seeing the progress being made really made me excited to get this car done finally. Really looking forward to getting it on the track next year.
I didn't lose interest or motivation on my swap, but I was thinking for sure it wouldn't be done until Spring. The thing that got me pumped was finishing the wiring and fuel lines and starting the thing up. Making a bunch of noise really fired up my optimism. Now it's looking like it'll be back on the wheels and moving under its own power before the end of the month. Mine is going to be an autocross car, and I'm really looking forward to my first event next year. Keep up the good fight!
haroldk
haroldk

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Some more progress from the past month, as it stands now only a few things are left to complete.

-Wire in fuse block for the PSI engine harness, tach signal, VSS..etc.
-C6 intake
-Hoses for expansion tank
-Power steering lines
-Oil lines
-Exhaust from headers to cat-back
-Clutch master cylinder hookup, just waiting on 1 fitting so we can connect AN to the quick disconnect

Other odds and ends to finish will be the Aero Catch hood latches, Tilton brake bias valve and deciding what to do with the headlights, either wire a 914 motor in or just use the motor delete brackets from VT951.

Radiator from RH finally came in about 2 weeks ago. Shop said it fit without any issue though it does require cutting the top portion of the support off. If i had to guess its about twice as thick as the stock one, but even with the fans provided it has plenty of clearance against the crank pulley.

And the hood does shut! The tightest fit was actually the Ford Mustang master cylinder cap. Some trimming of the insulation pad fixed that though.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  haroldk Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Techno Duck wrote:
And the hood does shut! The tightest fit was actually the Ford Mustang master cylinder cap. Some trimming of the insulation pad fixed that though.
That was my closest clearance, too. The difference being that my insulation was falling apart, so I ended up removing all of it last night with a shop vac.
haroldk
haroldk

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:23 pm

This week will be finishing up the power steering lines and hooking up the clutch master, the quick disconnect to AN line should be here later in the week. Then the exhaust can be finished.

Intake work will start shortly, just waiting on a loaner C6 intake boot to use for mockup Smile.

A few more shots of the RH radiator. The oil cooler position is going to be changed to a bit lower for better airflow. Still wondering where we can mount the power steering cooler, but i am thinking i put one in the slot for the oil cooler on the bumper, just need to take out the plastic blank in its place on the drivers side.

Once everything is running, it will be going back to the other shop. Need to have the bump steer correction tie rods put on and the car aligned. Also Aerocatch hood latches installed. May also have the brake bias valve relocated into the cabin, havent decided about that yet.

and the full underside..

Last edited by Techno Duck on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Getting very excited, so close to being finished!

All the fittings and hose for the power steering / hydroboost hopefully will be here tomorrow. Next up on the list is finishing the exhaust, which should be fairly easy. Just the Y-Pipe to the 4" LR catback has to be fabricated.

All the oil lines are done and they also relocated the cooler lower per my request.

They are also finishing up the last of the wiring bits. Forgot to tell them about hooking up the oil pressure sender for the dash and water temp sender. I had to pull the wiring diagrams out again because its been so long since i looked everything up. I was wondering why i had a cut 14-pin connector (the one on the drivers firewall). Also the couldnt remember why i had saved the flat 8 pin connector under the dash.. finally remembered it was for the tach. I also told them to wire the CEL on the PSI engine harness to the low oil level light on that same connector. I knew i saved all that crap for a reason! The only other wiring to finish is lengthening the wires for the VSS.

Just about the last major thing left to finish after all that is the intake. Hopefully running in a week or two What a Face 

Look how perfectly the oil pressure sender fits Smile 

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Technic Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Techno duck - I wanted to thank you for documenting and photographing your conversion. I have been following this thread for quite a while and the info provided has been excellent. I am at the point with mine that i will be pulling the 2.5 this weekend. The LS1 is on the work bench, ready for install. Thanks again.

944convert - Do you still have a wilwood MC setup available? If so i am very interested. If you could PM that would be great.
RS Technic
RS Technic

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:22 pm

RS Technic wrote:944convert - Do you still have a wilwood MC setup available? If so i am very interested. If you could PM that would be great.
Wilwood MC mounting adapters, yes I have them in stock...just waiting for Jon's final review of the setup which he should be able to provide in a few weeks. As he posted earlier the adapter makes it very simple to mount a Wilwood master cylinder 260-6088. This has a .700" bore and a 1.4" stroke. This should make for a lighter clutch pedal and the extra stroke should solve any disengagement issues. We are also expecting the extra stroke of this master cylinder will help alleviate the 'on / off' clutch action some have reported. And as noted the custom bracket allows you to use the original master cylinder mounting points...a simple and elegant alternative.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:29 am

I wont be home until after Christmas, but fully expect the car too be drivable by then. Weather permitting i hope to make a few runs around the block to get a feel for things.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Techno Duck's LS1 conversion - Page 5 Empty Coolant Tank

Post  Powerman951 Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:44 am

I must have missed your post but from my perspective your coolant tank appears different than most I have seen. Can your comment and or add pictures? Question 

Thanks
Powerman951
Powerman951

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:41 pm

The expansion tank is an all aluminum one made by SpeedForceRacing i bought maybe 3-4 years ago. Its a very nice piece, though i would be hesitant to try and obtain one from them now (look up the customer service issues over the past year or two on Rennlist).

Lindsey Racing makes a similar all aluminum one that looks very nice aswell.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Technic Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 pm

I can verify that the Lindsey Racing tank is very well made and extremely high quality. No more cracked plastic... Very Happy 
RS Technic
RS Technic

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Happy to report the car runs! The shop sent me a video yesterday morning.. it sounds sick! Unfortunately i am offshore right now so wont be able to upload any video until i get back in a few weeks.

Everything runs fine, no leaks (thank gosh!) and all the gauges work as they should. I was nervous i told them the wrong wires!

They are working on fabricating the intake setup, then a few changes will be made to the exhaust. I forgot to tell them to add flex joints in, and also incorporate another flange at the backside to make removal easier. The last item is the Aerocatch hood latches, once that is complete its off to the other shop for the alignment and relocating the brake bias valve into the cabin. Hopefully the weather is reasonable for a few days so i can put some miles on it when i get home Smile.

Will post a few more pictures they sent me tomorrow Smile.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Congrats!!

Have your shop use V bands. I have V bands on my headers to test pipes and to the exhaust. That way I can easily swap from the test pipes and car pipes.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Techno Duck Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Stopped by earlier and recorded this. Its freaken loud! 4" from the long tubes back with a Magnaflow muffler. I think i may put a quieter muffler on eventually!

The shop added a v-band on today so it will be a little easier to take the exhaust off.

The only thing left is to finish the intake. This is the general mockup, fitting the MAF has been the only problem really as space is tight inbetween the top of the radiator and the hood. The cross on the 'H' support they did for the upper radiator support was cut out earlier so they can squeeze the MAF in place. I just ordered a C5 Vette filter that i hope fits once we have everything in place. Should have that on monday. Part # is aFe 24-90033 (available from Amazon Prime!).

I sat in the car for the first time in a while and it felt a bit alien compared to my pickup and E36! The pedal feel on the  brakes feels good. The clutch felt good also, actually much lighter than i had expected. I think there does need to be some adjustment made at the push rod / linkage and also possibly air in the system still, felt a bit spongy.

Hope to be able to bring the car over for alignment at the other shop monday or tuesday.

Techno Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:00 am

sounds good Exclamation 
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:02 am

I have a similar exhaust on my race car, sounds great and is not loud compared to most cars on track, but would be too loud for me to drive on the street. It does sound great.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Daniels Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Nice build but I would be worried about cracked headers without some flex pipes installed.

Geoff Daniels

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next