944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Car lift installed, now the real work will begin.

+16
944-LT1
Rich L.
87-944S
Admin
RobotMachines
sbwrench
spence
robstah
Arthropraxis
Dawgz83948
Techno Duck
fliermike45
docwyte
Lemming
xschop
acorad
20 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 Empty Re: Car lift installed, now the real work will begin.

Post  Rich L. Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:15 pm

I've just installed my pilot bearing for the first time. On my first go-round I got mine to .65" and it seamed to stop there. But I peered down in there with a light and saw there was still an obvious gap between the adapter and the shoulder inside the crank. So I hit it with a little WD40 (dubya gee photy) lined this up differently and got a couple of good whacks with a 2lb rubber mallet and it moved further. The end result is obvious full seating of the adapter when peering in there and .45" of protrusion from the face of the crank. I think it's good.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 Empty Re: Car lift installed, now the real work will begin.

Post  acorad Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 am

Thanks Rich. I guess I just need a bigger hammer!
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 pm

So a BFH and a BF socket got the PB & adapter to go in another ~0.2", my PB is sticking out 0.405" now, so pretty much perfect.

Also thought I'd include a pic of my repair to the drive shaft end. My next door machinist made up the sleeve and added ~0.3" of extra material on the end for a little longer length. Also tapped a hole in the end so the sleeve can be removed by screwing a screw in. Nice snug fit in the PB.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:12 pm

So, back to the TT bearing with the failed sleeve...

The bearing itself seems fine, I spun it and it's smooth and quiet.

It turns out the TT inner sleeves are two-piece, they're made of a smaller plastic sleeve bonded to the inside of a larger metal sleeve. The plastic sleeve grips the driveshaft and the metal sleeve grips the ID of the TT bearing.

On my car the plastic sleeve failed on the front TT bearing leaving the metal sleeve in place inside the TT bearing, so my machinist friend spun a replacement plastic sleeve out of Delrin. I made a tool out of PVC pipe to push it into place, but that also could pull it out when I was trial-fitting.

The trial fitting went well, the new plastic sleeve is able to be jammed inside the metal sleeve.

Although Delrin doesn't glue too well, there are some glues that work kinda well, so my plan is to use that glue on the final install - it'll work as a lube while installing and, hopefully, belt and suspenders when it dries.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by acorad on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Nice work. It's crap vulcanized rubber, at least mine were. I added extra lip to the inset to make sure mine didn't pop out. Would be a great way to jack up the shaft against metal bearing I.D. if they pop out.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:21 pm

I've read about guys having to move their drive shaft a little forward in order to get full insertion of the DS tip into the pilot bearing, and then they use a drill to notch their drive shaft at the trans end so the coupler bolt on the DS can be installed.

However, on my car the existing "notch" for the DS coupler bolt is about 1/2" wide - it's more like the DS splines were milled away in a 1/2" band - it's not a "notch" that was made to fit the coupler bolt. In contrast, the notch on the input shaft to the trans is a real notch, it's the width and shape of the coupler bolt and fits it like a glove.

Is this just my DS? Or are all of them like this?

If it's all DS's, I guess I'm just pointing out that it seems like that 1/2" band with no splines indicates that the P engineers expected there to be pretty significant variability in production and that they wanted to be able to easily adjust the location of the DS (depending on how it lined up in the pilot bearing?) and that the location of the DS does not seem to be anchored by the bolt in the "notch" but rather by the clamping force of the coupler itself.

iow, the "49.5mm +/- 0.5mm dimension from the plane of the TT bell housing to the end of the DS" that I've read about does not sound like it's all that critical after all?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Well, I've been super busy at work and just got back to the beast today. Got my new TT bearing in place and am ready to hang the clutch and TT.

This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm having a beotch of a time finding an LS1 clutch alignment tool.

If I can't find one easily, can I just mount the clutch disk and pressure plate but only tighten the PP bolts finger-tight, say, and then align the clutch disk as well as I can by eyeballing it, and then bolt on my TT and drive the driveshaft into place in the pilot bearing and use the DS itself to align the clutch disk?

Then just torque down the PP bolts and away I go?

Would this work?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu May 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I did that when I put mine on.... It was fine
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Thu May 24, 2012 7:37 pm

acorad wrote:I'm having a beotch of a time finding an LS1 clutch alignment tool.

You want a porsche 944 clutch alignment tool though. This is also the same as Ford Ranger, Dodge, Mazda Pickup, and many mopar applications. Surely your local parts house will have a tool for one of these or any tool with 23 splines x 1 inch diameter.

But yeah, I dont see any reason why you couldnt do it that way except for the pain it may be.

The Napa store in Thousand Oaks has a alignment set for $30. Or you could probably drop by and order one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  948inVA Thu May 24, 2012 9:25 pm

You need dorman #14503.. I went to advance auto parts, they had to special order it but it came in the same day.
948inVA
948inVA

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Thu May 24, 2012 11:30 pm

I got one from an Oriely parts store and it was in stock for about $6 if I remember correctly. Sorry I can't get you the part number as vacuum wrap got tossed.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Fri May 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks guys, I'll try to find a 23 spline 1" alignment tool locally.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Car lift installed, now the real work will begin. - Page 5 Empty Clutch tool

Post  fliermike45 Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 pm

I cut the end off a scrap Torque Tube shaft.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Fri May 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Is it wise to throw a little lube on the drive shaft splines?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 pm

I've been advised to do it very sparingly, with high melting point grease.

And none on the female splines of the clutch disc, else in use it may get to the disk itself.

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Fri May 25, 2012 2:09 pm

I always do. I just use Moly although theres a marine grade that would be nice since the splines are somewhat open to road conditions.

BTW, both BMW and Porsche recommend it during clutch service.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Fri May 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks guys!
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Fri May 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Where else should I lube, drive shaft end where it inserts into the pilot bearing and also throwout bearing face where it contacts the pressure plate fingers?
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Thu May 31, 2012 6:34 pm

Clutch in, TT in place, drive shaft in place.

It's so nice finally using the ratchet to tighten stuff, instead of loosen.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  22lambo Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Glad to see things are moving along and you got a lift!

22lambo

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Replaced worn out pin on my shifter with a cap head screw and some thrust washers

and, since I sheared the stud off on my trans linkage, I replaced the whole linkage with some heims.

acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Is the shifter rattle gone now?
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Arthropraxis wrote:Is the shifter rattle gone now?
Pretty much the $60,000 question. I'll let you know when I get the trans in and the whole shebang back on the road!
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Got the trans in today, not nearly as much of a PITA as I thought it would be.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Post  acorad Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 am

Only dropped the trans off the trans jack onto the concrete floor once.
acorad
acorad

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next