944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyYesterday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987)

4 posters

Go down

Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) Empty Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987)

Post  rbturbo Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Guys,

I need your help. My 944 seats were cracking and tearing so I bought some really nice, black, leather Boxster seats (dont know the exact year but very cheap! $400) to put in before my gf comes into town (gotta treat her right with a sweet car, right?). I've taken out the manual seats that my car had, and I have found the cables for the power seats underneath the carpet. The passenger seat works great, it was very simple and straight forward!!

Here is my problem: The driver seat power seat circuitry; I bought the seats off a Porsche shop, and it came with no memory CU, which is totally fine since I am the only one driving it, so I dont need it to remember the placement. BUT i am currently trying to connect all the cables without the computer. How does one do it!? I have attached some pictures to show what I am trying to do. I think there must be someway to get the relay activated...because If i connect the power through each mechanism individually it goes up, back, but then I have to switch the cables to make it go down, front...so what would be the best approach to get the whole system going and working regularly?? I am not an electrician at all... so if one could dumb it down as much as possible, and tell me how i can bridge the connections to get power throughout the whole thing, that would be great.
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) Boxste12
Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) 20111010

In terms of heating, i do not know if it has it.. but it is not necessary since I live in the Southwest...

lastly, though the most pressing issue is the circuitry, I am wondering if anyone has any tips on actually placing the seats on and securing them? Do I drill holes into the car? or try to come up with a way of just securing the rails, etc?

Thanks so much!!

rbturbo

Back to top Go down

Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) Empty Re: Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987)

Post  Admin Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:26 pm

I know your new, so please read! There is info on the forum that will help you.
Make sure you put your post in the proper area if you want answers/help
Thanks
Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987) Empty Re: Boxster (power) Seats into 944 (1987)

Post  944convert Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:50 am

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey I would love to try and help you but, the computer under the seat is more than just for memory.
1st, each motor is limited by a Hall Reference Signal, produced within the motor housing (the other two wires per motor other than white and black), that limits the seats’ travel...without a signal, the seat would travel to max and the gears would begin stripping...unless you’re really good about knowing when to stop pushing the buttons. Laughing

2nd, each motor travels in one of its two directions dependent on polarity. The switch board that you show in your picture contains only switches. Within the control module are polarity switching relays…in other words, if you were to hook up the wires, push one of the switches, the seat would travel one way and then that’s it…it would not travel the opposite way when pushing the switch the opposing direction.

However, there is another way if you’re in a bind, cant afford the control module or just want the seat to work (theoretically of course)! Note: I cannot be held liable for any damages.
The seats that came out of your 944 may have had either a 4-way switch or a pair of 2 way switches. If you still have the stock seat, you can take that switch out and:
From the 4-way switch, connect the black wire to the black wire of backrest motor of your new seat and then, the green wire to the white wire of the backrest motor.
Again from the 4-way switch, connect the black/green wire to the black wire of the longitudinal motor (fore and aft motor) and the black/violet wire to the white wire of the longitudinal motor.
Finally, from the 4-way switch, connect the brown to ground and the red to fused 12v+ power.
If you have the pair of 2-way switches, its the same idea. They will both have red and brown power wires and 2 wires each for each motor.
If you want more motors to work like this (you should have 4 motors) and the above does infact work, buy a 4-way switch and do the same for the remaining motors. Or buy 2 x 4-way switches.

My final option for you (if you dont want to buy the control module OR use the 944 switches) is to buy another passengers side switch assembly and copy the passengers sides wiring.

Hope this helps!
Let us know what happens of course.....or be banned!!! Laughing

Last edited by 944-LT1 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  944convert Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:48 pm

I have a spare memory CU for it, if you have all the cables.

Else, the correct part number for the non-memory driver's seat switch panel is 996.613.717.01 A03 (for black)

Or as Mike said...you might get another passengers side switch assembly and rewire the switches as needed (i.e. to correct the forward and back motion you may need to reverse the leads). Try the existing passengers switch assembly to be sure this is possible.

-Tom

944convert

Back to top Go down

Post  rbturbo Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks guys for all your help, it was really helpful, even though I couldnt really resolve anything.
I am going to try two-four different things:

1. In a valiant attempt, I am going to try to bridge the connections by using "thicker" or more resilient wires, as well as custom made DPDTmomentary-on/off/momentary-on switch gadget to see if i can at least get the seat to do the basics: going back and forth, up and down. I feel like it should work, by skipping over the circuit board and doing the connections myself.

2. If that doesnt work out, I think I am just going to be looking for a CU board. Tom, I am interested in your spare one, I will go ahead and send you a personal message. And then try to get it working. (seems the easiest, but perhaps pricey?).

3. Take it to my Porsche mechanic and hope that he can work his magic (Probably just as pricey?)

4. Or, lastly, look for another passenger seat, or even take out the motors and make it a manual one, like my old one was.

Thanks for all your help, and let me know if you guys have any other suggestions. I will keep updating to see if I can pull it off somehow.

rbturbo

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 am

Oh man, I totally missed that your old seats were manual in the original post.

Yeah, you can make yourself a simple board to control all the functions of the seat including heat and lumbar. But you have to weigh the price of a stock control unit vs your time, money and patience in making a one off board; and personal time is usually most expensive of all.....albeit rewarding!

Hope you get it figured out.
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  rbturbo Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:10 pm

944-LT1 wrote:

However, there is another way if you’re in a bind, cant afford the control module or just want the seat to work (theoretically of course)! Note: I cannot be held liable for any damages.
The seats that came out of your 944 may have had either a 4-way switch or a pair of 2 way switches. If you still have the stock seat, you can take that switch out and:
From the 4-way switch, connect the black wire to the black wire of backrest motor of your new seat and then, the green wire to the white wire of the backrest motor.
Again from the 4-way switch, connect the black/green wire to the black wire of the longitudinal motor (fore and aft motor) and the black/violet wire to the white wire of the longitudinal motor.
Finally, from the 4-way switch, connect the brown to ground and the red to fused 12v+ power.
If you have the pair of 2-way switches, its the same idea. They will both have red and brown power wires and 2 wires each for each motor.
If you want more motors to work like this (you should have 4 motors) and the above does infact work, buy a 4-way switch and do the same for the remaining motors. Or buy 2 x 4-way switches.

you know what. i am very foolish. I just discovered that my driver's seat is in fact electrical. It is manual in terms of going front and back, but in terms of lifting and adjusting the seat angle there is a 4 way switch that was hidden under a leather upholstery cover to hide the cracked leather (you can see why i needed to switch the seats to some nice ones). Having discovered this, I will go ahead and try your approach, if unsuccessful, I'll try it on my own or do a cost/benefit analysis of whether to buy or make one. In any case, thank you for all of your help again, and I should have some word this weekend!

rbturbo

Back to top Go down