944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
lsd transmission  EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
lsd transmission  EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
lsd transmission  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
lsd transmission  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
lsd transmission  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
lsd transmission  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
lsd transmission  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
lsd transmission  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
lsd transmission  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
lsd transmission  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

lsd transmission

+5
xschop
Dawgz83948
fliermike45
robstah
shwinny
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

lsd transmission  Empty lsd transmission

Post  shwinny Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:48 pm

I am in the market to update my trans. I am going to be looking into a turbo trans. Will they bolt right up or will there be a little mods needed. Will my c/v work with the trans. I am also looking into getting a low mile torque tube to be safe. Just asking you guys for some pointers. Whats the best trans to go with etc. I am selling my street bike to finish my build. I want to do it right.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

lsd transmission  Empty Re: lsd transmission

Post  robstah Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Well, the best trans to go with would be one with an LSD. Razz

Nah. A turbo transaxle should work well. The 5th gear is a bit short and swapping it with an NA 5th will help with cruising. If you could also source a 968 6 speed for cheap, that would be highly recommended.

From what I have seen and heard, the transaxles seem to be pretty solid and it's the CV axles that fail easily. Some more research in the matter would be ideal.

I have noticed that with these V8, big displacement builds, that having ample torque through the rev range is actually easier on the driveline compared to big turbos that incorporate most of its power later on and at a faster rate. These V8s are designed to have torque down low and that torque falls down later on in the rev range, which is ideal for driveline longevity.

The torque tubes are either in good shape or need bearings replaced. If you find yourself needing new bearings, a set from Constantine on Rennlist would be a wise direction to go.

Collecting multiple parts (like transaxles and torque tubes) on the cheap from part-outs would be ideal (for anyone who owns these cars, not just the V8 swappers).

robstah

Back to top Go down

lsd transmission  Empty Turbo trans

Post  fliermike45 Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Just installed a LSD Turbo Trans in a NA 944, only mod required was to cut away some of the metal shield under the fuel tank to allow for oil cooler clearance. I also installed the NA 5th gear in the Turbo trans, real easy if you follow the published instructions.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  shwinny Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:40 am

Excellant. will the c/v's on my trans work for the turbo trans or will i have to get turbo c/v's. I am hopfully looking to get a lsd but if its too much i will just get the open diff. Is there a adjustable trans mount out there. I am going to order the lindsey trans mount. i wanted to install the engine and get it all buttoned up then install the tourque tube and trans. Has anyone had to move the engine a bit for the clearance in the pilot bearing.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:41 am

shwinny wrote:Excellant. will the c/v's on my trans work for the turbo trans or will i have to get turbo c/v's. I am hopfully looking to get a lsd but if its too much i will just get the open diff. Is there a adjustable trans mount out there. I am going to order the lindsey trans mount. i wanted to install the engine and get it all buttoned up then install the tourque tube and trans. Has anyone had to move the engine a bit for the clearance in the pilot bearing.

Your cv's will work. You only need new cv's if you upgrade the rear suspension.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

lsd transmission  Empty Trans mount

Post  fliermike45 Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Xschop does a nice trans mount.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

lsd transmission  Empty Transmission installation

Post  fliermike45 Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:38 pm

I finally got round to installing my Turbo Trans.
I slotted the engine crossmember and the rear transmission cross member. The mount is from Xschop and a picture is attached.

I have 3/8" clearance between driver side cylinderhead and the sloan firewall stifner plate.
Approx 1/2" between rear of the transmission and body. I ground flats on the crossmember washers to allow me to use the full extent of the slots.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey Mike, unless you have a rare intermediate bracket that I'v never seen, then your trans mount is installed backwards. Strange that it bolted up that way, unless the intermediate bracket face was milled flat to match the Billet mount face.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

lsd transmission  Empty Transmission mount

Post  fliermike45 Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Rob, pictures of my mount before fitting.

fliermike45

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:13 pm

The trans mount is tecnically backwards. The intermediate bracket flat-face should mate with the mount, not the protruding nipples... Not that I have anything against nipples. Very Happy

xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  shwinny Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:34 am

Well I just bought a 944s turbo trans out of an 86 non lsd with 55k miles and the torque tube and the turbo radiator and support for 700$. I do need a trans mount because this trans will mount differently than the one in the car. Has anyone installed a later trans Into an earlier car. I can't wait to pick it up. Can you help me xshop with the mounts.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:33 am

Hey Scwinny, the early cars have a 2-piece mount with 2 intermediate metal brackets and one side (passenger) needs to be modded, then the stronger 2-piece billet mounts attach. Someone just recently did this and posted pics. Someone also needs to mock-up a 1-piece adapter and post drawings Very Happy

I would build a 1-piece adapter, would be trick....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  shwinny Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:25 pm

Pm me if you could help me out with a bracket man. Is that mount the Lindsey racing trans mount.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Scwinny,

If you haven't already check out the thread from Xschop it has a lot of info. I have a 84' and have gone through what you are jumping into, (86' turbo 5-spd). I don't have mine installed yet but have all the intemediate metal mounts and the two piece billet mounts from Xschop and was just waiting for the right time to start on a custom bracket. The billet mounts are super just as all his machined items.

If he is willing to embark on a custom 1-piece adapter I would be looking to get one as well.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:16 pm

Tehone, could you mock it up while your trans is still out? Do You still have the alloy intermediate bracket from the late mount?
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Yes and Yes cheers !! I am working on this as possible inbetween rain showers. Oh yeah, I work outside, wife wont let me bring the toys inside Evil or Very Mad .

Xschop: I didn't think about the alloy mounts as to mocking up but I can do as I do have two of them. I will try to hit you with the info by Tuesday or Wednesday latest.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Both you guys should measure the exact center to center of the carriage bolt holes when both early mounts are attached to the trans (for dim confirmation). Then lay a flat/level across the top of the mounts and measure that line to the center of the 2 holes on the intermediate bracket (where it mates to the Late mount itself).
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  shwinny Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 am

I dont have my trans out of the car yet. I am picking up the turbo s2 trans on sat morning. . He is giving me the mounts and all the brackets for the turbo trans also. If you can measure your trans TEHONE and give the dimensions to x-chop i would gradlly pay him to make a mount also. I just want it done right the first time. If not i will see and maybe machine one myself wonce i get everything off and out.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:15 am

Actually I would only trust Tehone's dims with the billet mounts already bolted up. If you tried to get them off an early trans with the factory mounts those saggy jokers would have the dims Fubared....

These pics put my mind at ease that a bracket is actually doable as the early car body has an arch between the mounts....take a look.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  shwinny Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:55 am

thats a real nice blog that guy has going. Now all we need now if a blog on how to fab a turbo trans into a early car. I was hoping there was a mount already fabbed out for the swap.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

Post  shwinny Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:40 pm

question? has anyone tried to modify the trans carrier support bar to fit the early cars. Not sure but the carrier looks like it will fit the early cars, but mark it and drill and bolt it to the existing hose where the original trans bolted to. not sure if it will work. i am getting the whole assembly with my trans. he sent me pics and it looks like the shape of my cross support where the trans is bolted to. just thought i would see if anyone tried this.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 pm

You could be the first! Cool
I have to do it all the time.................... Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shwinny Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 am

so you have done that before huh. I have a question on my turbo radiator. I am picking up a turbo radiator and fan assemble with the radiator support also. Will that go in my 944 with no problem. will i need anything else form a turbo car. I am going to a guy in conneticut who has alot of turbo cars he parts out and if there is anything else i need form him i should grab it while im there. like rotors calipers etc.
shwinny
shwinny

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich L. Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 am

If you intend to mount turbo calipers, get the front spindles as well because the caliper mounting points differ. '86 turbo spindles for early offset.

Rich
Rich L.
Rich L.

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:38 am

Get the front and rear turbo sway bars too.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next