944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyToday at 8:36 pm by Reason

» backwards LS6 intake
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyToday at 6:24 pm by murrayg

» WTB C5 2 piece bell housing
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyToday at 10:39 am by murrayg

» Testing the waters. I have a working '83 944 with a '94 LT1 that I want to let go.
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyYesterday at 7:44 am by Bmillar

» FS: 1987 951 LS
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyYesterday at 6:30 am by carr911

» Totalled 1985.5 Porsche 944
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 3:53 pm by Bmillar

» Clutch wont disengage!
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptySun Sep 13, 2020 10:51 pm by RobotMachines

» tachometer
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyFri Sep 11, 2020 10:21 am by smkn951

» 86 Porsche 944T LS1 swap begins
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 9:31 pm by smkn951

» stalls when braking
Pissing off Germans...my build thread EmptyThu Sep 10, 2020 10:55 am by spence

September 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Pissing off Germans...my build thread

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pissing off Germans...my build thread Empty Pissing off Germans...my build thread

Post  Schuepbach on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Since college I have had this 86 944 turbo project car. The goal was to make an ultimate track day car and eventually go into competitive racing with it. I started with keeping the drivetrain relatively stock. The car came with some stupid rice can, a poorly welded cat bypass, and some sort of chip that had afr's in the mid 10's.

I gutted the interior, installed bilstein coilovers, had a massive cage welded in and mounted some pilot sport cups. At this point I had just graduated from college and decided it was time to see how track worthy this car is. Lucky for me there was a DE event the coming weekend at Watkins Glen, i had no other choice but to go.

On track the car handled great, my eyeball alignment somehow worked and the tires gripped like no other.

After college I moved to germany to work for a renowned Porsche tuner and left my 944 at home. I attempted to sell the car to fund my growing addiction to the nurburgring, however no one seemed to be in the market for a track car. I soon left my job and moved back to the US with high hopes to make this baby even better. With some excess cash I had left from selling off my life in Germany, I ordered a large amount of 944 parts, everything from clutch to exhaust. Little did I know that installing the clutch was no small feat, infact porsche rates it at 26 hrs of labor!!!

My new job had me travelling non stop and for 2 years I occasionally worked on the car attempting to install all this stuff I had ordered. Laziness and my job took over for a while and the car just sat.

Finally I was promoted and relocated to Pensacola where I could have my own place and a garage that wasn't my parents. I towed the car down w/ half of the drivetrain sitting in the trunk and set it up in the garage. At this point I was growing tired of dealing w/ this porsche engine. It was expensive to maintain, not very reliable and had well over 200k miles on it. Track abuse would only shorten its already diminishing life span and something had to be done.

I remembered back to my highschool days when I was big v8 guy, wrenching on my k5 blazer, and how cool it would be to do a v8 swap into a 944. I visited renegade hybrids webpage finding everything I needed to do an LSx swap. Even better was the fact that it weighed only 50 lbs more than the current 4 cylinder motor in the car. Knowing how reliable, cheap and powerful the LS motor was, I decided to say f*** it, this must be done.

I purchased an ls1 shortblock with a spun rod bearing for 350 bucks and started selling off all the new 944 parts I had intended to install. I managed to get around 3k dollars for all the parts which was a good start I needed, but then disaster struck. My STI decided to blow its ringland again, attesting to the 08's reliablity. Since I had exhaust and tuning there was no way I could warranty the motor a second time. All my 944 money was spent on a new STi motor, it was also at this point I decided to sell the damn thing.

The STI finally sold and I received about 3600 in cash from sale price and the pay off quote. It was now time for the 944 project to start back up in full swing.

Below are pictures starting from college all the way to about present day.

picking up the car, purchased for 3800 on ebay, not me in the picture

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

me w/ my new toy

Baseline dyno, pretty good considering the car was rated 220 crank hp from porsche

80's porsche engineering...

gutting the interior, this took so long thanks to 80's german glue.

yes previous owner, zip tieing a glad plug in refill to the blower motor and leaving it there for years will make it smell better..

another pain in the ass, the heater box

rattle can later..

rollcage time

John Deer Green it is, compliments of Tractor Supply Co.

Watkins Glen

Now for the teardown

no one likes you

you, go in there

brake booster/master cylinder, radiator, intercooler, AC crap, driver seat, dash taken out

The project took another slow down as I switched jobs and moved to Houston.

A little before the move I sent the engine and all of its components to Freddy over at Auto Fleet machine shop in Mobile AL. He had been recommended to me by various shops in the area and it took me a while to track him down. He was able to get everything mic'd, honed, cleaned etc a week or so before my move date.

The engine build was fairly simple with a couple goodies here and there. I went w/ an EPS cam that give good midrange power due to fact that this is a roadcourse car. The specs were something like 224/236 and 0.598/0.601. The cam itself isn't too extreme but it should net some decent results. I also found some decent LS6 heads w/ patriot gold springs already installed. Freddy went ahead and milled 0.020" off the head to bump the CR to 11:1 in addition to doing some minor port work. My goal with the engine is to get around 400whp, I may need to upgrade my intake to an LS6 intake and possibly run larger injectors, but I want to see what the current setup will do.

In Houston I currently live in an apartment building, meaning I had no more workspace. I did some searching online and found a storage unit somewhat in the Bario, but it was fairly large and affordable(12x30 at 160/month). I managed to get everything in there and start the fun assembly process.

I also had to wait on some specific parts(and money) to get the odd and ends completed. Items like front drive accessories and random sensors I managed to get off ls1tech for cheap. It took hours of searching but saved me a couple hundred dollars in the long run.

One of the things I did splurge on was the TurnOne Powersteering pump since I decided to run hydroboost.

Before dropping in the motor I decided to clean up the engine a bit w/ some simple green and alot of shop towels. One of the many perks of working in a storage unit is not having any electricity or water. Overall i was pleased w/ the result.

Finally the time had come to drop the motor in. I spoke w/ Texas Performance Concepts in Dallas about what steps should be done in what order to drop the motor in. Eric said that it was impossible to bring the motor in from the top. Being a skeptic I tried anyway, and he was right. With the clutch/flywheel and front accessories on the motor, it was damn near impossible. This meant going in the other route, one I had never tried before, but wheeling the motor in from the bottom.

My buddies and I lowered the motor onto the transmission jack I had, and managed to keep it level w/ some extra wood. As we wheeled the motor towards the engine bay we realized it would clear at the current height the car was at. I decided to use some wood on my jack and bring the front up as high as I could but that still wasn't high enough. We only had one more option and figured "why not". Using the engine hoist, we hooked it onto the front tow hook/crash bar and slowly lifted the front end up. When it was just high enough, we wheeled the motor under and then slowly lowered the car back onto the jackstands. The fit was extremely tight, but it somehow worked.

The final step was to pull the engine up and bolt on the xmember/bellhousing. I noticed there was some clearance issues w/ the xmember and had to start grinding away at it, but once again...no electricity. I thought of purchasing a couple hundred feet of extension cords since there are electrical outlets at the storage area, but none near my unit. After deciding that was a waste of money, I figured I would just throw my air compressor in the back of the truck and drive it to the nearest outlet. This idea worked great until I blew out the circuit I was drawing power from...oops. Luckily a coworker lived nearby and had an air compressor of his own, I went by his place at odd hours to use and finally fit the xmember.

The car then went to Texas Performance Concepts in Dallas to get everything finalized. The main items were welding up the exhaust, which will be a 2.5" true dual w/ x pipe, plumbing the ps/hydroboost setup, and doing the final wiring. Because I want to save as much weight as possible, I ripped out the entire body harness and will have the essentials wired in (fuel pump, taillights, ignition etc). Since I suck at wiring, I figured I would spend the extra cash and have someone experienced do it for me.

After a couple weeks and the usual project complications(Eric can attest for this Laughing ) the car was ready for pickup. We took it for a quick test drive and even met the local sheriff(luckily he was off duty...). The car is everything I dreamed and now it just needs a tune. Big thanks to Eric, he was patient and knew his stuff!!!

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Pissing off Germans...my build thread Empty Re: Pissing off Germans...my build thread

Post  modenas on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:48 pm

nice build
modenas
modenas

Back to top Go down

Pissing off Germans...my build thread Empty Re: Pissing off Germans...my build thread

Post  eclou on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:20 pm

sweet Phillip! We gotta get the cars together. I really like what you did for the instrument cluster. I got to finish stripping my car out and welding in a real cage
eclou
eclou

Back to top Go down

Pissing off Germans...my build thread Empty Pissing off Germans

Post  ROGUE S2 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Great story. Car sounds excellent. Yeah Eric knows his stuff. Good luck at the track.

ROGUE S2

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 pm

thanks guys!!!

Gene, let me know the next time you're at TWS, I may not be on ideal tires but it will be good to drive the car.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Congrats! With that cam and the LS6 heads you should be close to 400rwhp. I'm making 373 with the LS1 heads and a slightly less aggressive EPS cam.

Not sure who did your cage, but I'd like to see the rear buttresses going into the frame rail there vs the single sided steel wheel well. I'm also not a huge fan of that front leg bar. Just another thing to break your legs on in a crash...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:42 am

Doc, the cage was built by Pro Car Performance in Rochester NY(back when I was in school there). They usually build insane dragsters but were more than happy to tackle the 944. I have to agree w/ the rear buttresses, I was never to happy with the way they were mounted and plan on having the cage modified to tie into the rear frame. I'm curious though how much force those actually see in the event of a rollover. I would assume most of it would be on the front two hoops.

As for the leg breaker, I remember we had space issues and that was the only place they could put it in there. Its not nearly as close to your legs as it looks in the pictures.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 am

I'll post a pic of the buttresses on my rollbar and show you where they should go. A lot of guys aren't doing a front lower bar like you have at all. They're extending the cage to the strut towers and bracing those.

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Nice build, the car looks great.
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:58 am

Thanks lemmings, I should hopefully see you at some NASA events. I plan to start racing ST1/2(probably 1 due to weight/power) in the next year or so once I get my comp license and some better tires.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemming on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:30 am

Schuepbach wrote:Thanks lemmings, I should hopefully see you at some NASA events. I plan to start racing ST1/2(probably 1 due to weight/power) in the next year or so once I get my comp license and some better tires.

Excellent!
Lemming
Lemming

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 pm

nice build love that exsaust work not to mention the rest of car my compliments
stuart f. wright
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Got it dyno tuned at LateModelRacecraft here in houston. She put down 395 whp on the best run.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  eclou on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:45 pm

awesome Phil! What cam and heads do you have again?
eclou
eclou

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

EPS Cam thats around 224/236 and 0.598/0.601

Heads are LS6 heads that have been milled 0.020" to bump the CR a bit.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  eclou on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:52 pm

what did LMR charge for a dyno tune? This next Friday is an open track day at TWS. I'm heading up around noon.
eclou
eclou

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:57 pm

550, somewhat pricey however they are the best in houston.

I may be able to join you, my front sway bar isnt attached as of yet(waiting on bushings) and I'm on stock size pilot sport cups, but thats never really stopped me.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 am

Nice! You're making +20rwhp more than me using a slightly more wild cam and have LS6 heads.

The recipes are coming in for what you need for ~375rwhp and ~400rwhp!

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:31 am

ya if I had an underdrive pully I probably could have broke 400. but to me that 5 whp really doesnt matter. The car is soo light, I'm more concerned about tires at this point lol.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  eclou on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 am

Schuepbach wrote:ya if I had an underdrive pully I probably could have broke 400. but to me that 5 whp really doesnt matter. The car is soo light, I'm more concerned about tires at this point lol.

Phil if you are around today, mine is on my lift and I will be playing with wheel/tire fitment all day
eclou
eclou

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm easily fitting 17x9 ET55 wheels with Toyo RA1/Nitto NT01 275-40-17 tires all the way round on my car...

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  eclou on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:45 pm

playing around a bit just found out my Boxster track wheels fit the early offset 944 perfectly - 18x10 ET40 all 4 corners. 295/30/18 with room for 315's possibly in the rear. The wheels are the OZ Alleggerita 18x10 <$400 per corner

eclou
eclou

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:38 pm

I think you guys will piss off more than just the Germans with that HP/weight ratio Cool
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:15 pm

Gene I can't wait to see that setup this weekend.

My plan was to use those oz's same size, however 65 offset in the front and 40 offset in the rear and do a 285 square setup. My suspension setup will be late front offset and early rear offset.

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuepbach on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Went out to TWS yesterday for a shakedown, Autometer oil pressure sending unit failed after 2 laps, making me think I had no oil pressure. Hooked up a mechanical gauge today and got plenty of pressure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Schuepbach

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next