944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Fesler Saratoga Top
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm by JW1970

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:59 pm by JW1970

» LS 982 5speed project here
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 am by Raymond-P

» LT1 Spark Plug make and model
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 3:07 pm by Rob44

» 928 5-speed kit
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm by LS982

» HYDRAULIC THROWOUT/RELEASE BEARING NOT ENGAGING FULLY
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 am by gwistrup

» Slave Cylinder Spacing from Clutch Fingers
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 1:54 am by lowform

» WANTED: 948 Conversion Manual
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm by Elskeptico

» FS 1989 Transmission for 944
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 am by 87roadracer

» Honda k24 swap
I have a few questions about my motor choice EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 6:00 am by 89EFhatch

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

I have a few questions about my motor choice

+2
Admin
jess2suityou
6 posters

Go down

I have a few questions about my motor choice Empty I have a few questions about my motor choice

Post  jess2suityou Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:53 pm

I have sourced a 5.7L 350 engine from a 1996 chevy silverado truck. I was wondering if this is a good choice for my V8 conversion. From my understanding, this is essentially the same as the LT1 with a different intake? Right? (feel free to tell me otherwise) I would love to use an LS1 for my project, but this motor comes with good history and no known problems to date other than high miles. I'm assumming that I can change the intake to the lower intake from an LT1 so that it will fit under the hood of my car. I'm not looking to create a race demon, but a dependable, easy to work on, daily driver that could potentially be a sleeper if the power is needed. I know this site offers a great information about the conversion. I guess I'm not sure about the differences between the SBC and the LT1. Any information that anyone can share will be greatly appreciated. I was planning on sourcing the 5.3 truck motor until this free 5.7L 350 motor was offered to me as a donor from a friend who will more than likely be helping with this project. I'm not so much concerned about weight issues (iron vs aluminum). Just wondering if this is a good engine to start my project with. This will be a do it yourself project with as much information from this forum that i can use.
jess2suityou
jess2suityou

Back to top Go down

I have a few questions about my motor choice Empty Re: I have a few questions about my motor choice

Post  Admin Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:24 am

Yes it will work , you will need to modify the LT intake to accept a distributor and install F body style accessory brackets. Everything else should be an easy bolt on .

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

I have a few questions about my motor choice Empty Re: I have a few questions about my motor choice

Post  944-LT1 Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Thats a Vortec engine. The LT1 intake will not work on Vortec heads. You probably want to look at stealth ram intakes. They are about $300 new but Im sure you can score one for less. You can also use a marine vortec intake (mercruiser) which is pretty cool. Visit the following address for more.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:58 pm

944-LT1 wrote:Thats a Vortec engine. The LT1 intake will not work on Vortec heads. You probably want to look at stealth ram intakes. They are about $300 new but Im sure you can score one for less. You can also use a marine vortec intake (mercruiser) which is pretty cool. Visit the following address for more.

Or he can look into buying a good set of lt1 or lt4 heads to plop on, although IIRC the reverse flow of the LT wasn't compatable with the standard flow blocks.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Or he can look into buying a good set of lt1 or lt4 heads to plop on, although IIRC the reverse flow of the LT wasn't compatable with the standard flow blocks.
Yeah, the vortec L31 is std flow with a reverse rotation pump.

He could buy a set of aftermarket SBC (non vortec) heads and then mod the LT1 intake to fit them. Some aluminum heads would cut down the weight of the L31 as well.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:42 pm

I vote for the 5.3, stick on an LS1-6 intake and call it a day.
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:16 pm

You can use the LT1 heads by having the reverse flow ports welded closed, then have the heads milled and re-drill the water hole using a head gasket as a template. Then you can use the LY1 intake. You can drill a hole into the front of each head and tap it for 1/2 pipe using the steam holes. Then you use a remote t-stat housing and run a hose from each head to this. Although the serpentine belt system may not fit. I am using standard v-belts.

You need a FI system as well. I will be using Dynamic EFI. They are very reasonable and have a very nice system.

v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  jess2suityou Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:48 am

Thank you guys for all the input. Seems like I still have a lot of work ahead of me and then some. I was hoping that the modifications to the 5.7L were simple bolt on then go. I'm going to do a lot more homework. First part of this project will be pulling the motor from the truck. But anymore information that anyone could share would be great. I will defiantly continue reading and I will kept you all posted with my progress. I'm sure I will be in need of a few parts as well. Thanks!
jess2suityou
jess2suityou

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum