944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Clutch hoses and fittings

+8
Tetzuoe
944v8inDFW
Admin
dallas
944-LT1
gt1scca
xschop
Johnny Johnny
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Clutch hoses and fittings - Page 2 Empty Re: Clutch hoses and fittings

Post  944v8inDFW Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm

DO NOT use Teflon tape on brake fittings or a clutch fitting in this case. You are putting a band aid on a heart attack. It will fail. Figure out what is making it leak, only acceptable type of sealing is a copper washer. Don’t trust you car and or your life to 97 cents worth of tape you got left over from a home project 5 years ago.
If you need a sealing compound for hydraulic pressure loctite has one that is about the equivalent of red normal, but has some other properties for fluid seepage. I think the number is 545.

944v8inDFW

Back to top Go down

Post  dallas Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:15 pm

I was afraid of that as you read in my post above. Wonder if the teflon would get eaten by the fluid. My next choice is reinstalling the original line with a swagelok conversion fitting from 6mm tube to -3an. I've been looking for it but so far no luck. We use them in work with pressures just above 3k steam. Wish that first fitting worked. It was much neater. As for the draw, it was the pcm. The" stay alive" wire as I call it showed a .690amp. draw, with a 41k ohm resistance to ground. Disconnecting the wire dropped the draw to 60ma.Turns out pin 19 on the blue plug had the same resistance to the computer case itself. I ordered another pcm. I doubt I can fix it.

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Shocked Summitracing recommends teflon used on fittings to prevent galling and freezing of the threads. I used it on my master cylinder to clutch hose adapter fitting just for that reason.

Searching google it seems that its one of those some do some dont things. Earls and Aeromotive both sells a kit that includes teflon for assembling fittings and hoses.

But yeah! I can totally understand how that may seem like a band-aid for an already leaking fitting. Teflon lined brake and fuel hoses are all over the place so thats not the reason people say not to use teflon....its because if it aint sealing by the flare alone, the flare is 1) incorrect angle or 2) the flare is already galled or split.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 am

944-Lt, what were those thread sizes again? Im doing a bunch of plumbing and im trying to figure out what is where, the brake MC lines seem to be M10x1.0, but the clutch flare nut looks like its much larger?
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:12 pm

the clutch master cylinder thread size is M11.81 mm x 1.0mm So I guess its M12 x 1.0mm. OH! I put M10 above.....I go edit it den. Sorry.

M12x1.0 to -3AN adapter fitting. Would LOVE someone to confirm my AN size ..... the inner diameter of the AN fitting is 0.145" and I cant find out what AN size that is but to guess, I would say -3 AN?

Help?

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:47 pm

yeah Im pretty sure its -3, the data sheet on my MCs say -3AN and the same fittings go to my clutch line... no guarantees im using any of the same hardware though lol thanks for the size clearup now I can do all my fittings
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Well what is the OD of the threaded section of your 3 AN fitting??? Is it...... 0.4285" or 10.88mm??? If it is, then I can confirm that this is -3AN. The fitting that the .4285" AN fitting threads into has an inner diameter of ~0.3875".

eh?

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  ffmedic Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:58 pm

What I can tell you on the 3 an fitting that would go from the Clutch MC , not the reg MC (or brake MC) is this I couldn't find a 3an fitting that would go from the 10mmx1.0 side (the regular fitting that goes on the stock Clutch MC) to a 3 an. I did find a 10mmx1.0 to a 4an fitting ( mind you high pressure one not aluminum but steel) and will be going with a 4an hose with it.
Hopes this help.
Mind you I will be taking pics and a small narrative when I get to this part of my conversion ( should be comming within the next couple of weeks, who knows maybe sooner)
Also I will posting pics in my gallery when this happens and will post it under the LT section.

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Post  944v8inDFW Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:22 pm

I personally like a couple methods

1) retap the clutch master to a common size, tear it apart before you do so no chips

2) banjo fitting with a 3an or 4an goodridge and earls both have on that work, and the banjo bolt is a common size found on many fuel injection, think the last one i used was from an old Audi. This method allows you to use a standard brake

944v8inDFW

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Sorry Medic, It should be an M12x1.0 to 3 AN adapter fitting. Not M10. Embarassed ....unless thats what you measured?!?!?!

I got it confused with the slave or something.

Russels PN# 670420

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 am

ok so M12 x 1.0 at the master, my slave cyl has an AN3 fitting, it came with a braided line but its about 3 ft too short, you happen to know a good length for the clutch hose? I figure instead of messing around with a bunch of fittings and a hard line, ill just adapt the MC from metric to AN with a fitting, nice clean install.
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  ffmedic Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:04 pm

944-LT1 wrote:Sorry Medic, It should be an M12x1.0 to 3 AN adapter fitting. Not M10. Embarassed ....unless thats what you measured?!?!?!

I got it confused with the slave or something.

Russels PN# 670420
Ya ya that's right on the clutch MC it's M12 I forgot been so long, but I believe on the hydraulic clutch I am using it's M10 will be posting in the future thanks for the correction though.
Will get it all sorted out when I post with pics.

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Post  ffmedic Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Tetzuoe wrote:ok so M12 x 1.0 at the master, my slave cyl has an AN3 fitting, it came with a braided line but its about 3 ft too short, you happen to know a good length for the clutch hose? I figure instead of messing around with a bunch of fittings and a hard line, ill just adapt the MC from metric to AN with a fitting, nice clean install.
Went with brakeline braided hose and in 4an because it was extremely difficult finding a fitting that went from M10 on the hydraulic clutch to 3an near impossible to find that is high pressure. If it is made out of aluminum more then likely it is not high pressure (not saying they are made , I just have not found one is all. I am guessing as well if it is aluminum it will be very expensive, but then again I could be wrong.

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 am

Yeah I have also had trouble finding an M12 to 3an, Im thinking I may be able to get a 3an braided line with a 90degree bend, its basically a flare nut on the one end so i can cut that off and put an M12 flare nut on, the trick is the thickness of the tube. I dont want this to look like the plumbing section of a home improvement store under the hood.
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm

(12mm x 1.00 to 3AN) adapter fitting... Male 12 x 1.0mm Metric Concave Seat to -3AN Male

That comes off the clutch master and then to a -3AN Male to -3AN Female Swivel 90' Elbow, (Steel) PN# 3284-03

That goes to either; 1) a pre-made AN hose with straight -3AN fittings on either end such as.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
or 2) make your own hose.

Then the hose goes to (for LS) a -3AN to rollpin o-ring fitting Russell PN# (640281)... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] For LT and using the external vette slave, the hose goes to a -3AN to 10mm x 1.0 fitting... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That should do it!

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Q.E.D biznatch! looks good, i wanted to see if I could do this with just one hose but.. I really dont want to go into the bellhousing agian to detach and reattach another hose lol.
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Yeah no kidding! Pulling it all apart for a hose... Mad

UPDATE: Tickperformance has the speed bleeder hoses (4 freakin feet long) for 50 bucks! Its better because it doesnt need a copper crush washer and its long enough to bleed from the drivers seat. Laughing
Has a speed bleed valve at the end.

I placed the order yesterday for the clutch hydraulics from summit/jegs/tickperformance.

From summit I ordered the [-3AN female swivel to -3AN male 90* steel fitting] and the [-3AN to rollpin adapter fitting] at the TO slave cylinder.

From Jegs I ordered the 26 inch long SS -3AN hose stright ends. (ordered from jegs cause summit was outta stock till october)

From Tickperformance I ordered the remote bleeder (compulsive purchase).

And im gonna try and reuse the 12mm x 1.0 to -3AN adapter fitting at the clutch master cylinder. Ill let yall know how it all turns out with pictures.

Jesse, what is your set-up currently???? RH bought?

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:39 am

no mine is quicktime with... you know honestly I forget where I got the TOB from... it came with a hose and I think a remote bleeder... or wait a sec.. I bought that. Neutral guess its been awhile. it was all recommendations from the bell housing thread that got axed.
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 am

killing me jesse.....killing me. Sad Laughing

I wish someone could measure the outer diameter of the threads on a -3AN and -4AN fitting. Cant tell the two apart....or I cant read directions well.
Oh well. Im sticking with it being a -3AN. Laughing

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  ffmedic Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Just make sure on the fittings and hoses you guys are getting they are for high pressure . Would hate to see you get it all together and on trip blow a line.

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Post  dallas Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:21 am

Found this.http://www.gre6.com/ansize there is another site with tube sizes I will post.

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks for the link alex. Cool
but....CRAP. My dad brought his L&L fittings book and they are -4AN [i already ordered 3AN].

Then....I got the fittings today and yes, the old ones are definetly -4AN.

No matter. Ill just order the 12mm x1.0 adapter to -3AN and be done with it. Very Happy

BTW: -3AN has 24 threads per inch and -4AN has 20 tpi. which I knew but didnt consider it important. Rolling Eyes im an idiot. Evil or Very Mad

To those of you who bought the RH kit w/clutch hose and fittings for the LT, those are 4AN.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  dallas Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Still waitng on my fittings. Truck accident on I84 today caused delays that went beyond the speedshops hr. Gotta check tomorrow. Swagelok on its way also. Dealing with my Tach hookup yet. Gonna start a new thread.

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  dallas Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Ok, got my fittings yesterday. The fitting that was supplied by you know who, for the clutch m/c, was Earls #9919BFE (russell makes one also)which is a 12mm 1.0 to -4AN. Its aluminium. Take its integrity for what it is. I chose to go with swagelok and a section of original tube off the m/c. Those numbers are ss-6mo-6-4 which changes 6mm tube to 1/4 tube then ss-4-ta-1-4AN, which adapts the 1/4 end to the -4An male. My opinion is its safer. The adapter can be placed at the end of the steel tube before it goes to the flex hose and on to the TO. You decide.

dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  ffmedic Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:27 pm

dallas wrote:Ok, got my fittings yesterday. The fitting that was supplied by you know who, for the clutch m/c, was Earls #9919BFE (russell makes one also)which is a 12mm 1.0 to -4AN. Its aluminium. Take its integrity for what it is. I chose to go with swagelok and a section of original tube off the m/c. Those numbers are ss-6mo-6-4 which changes 6mm tube to 1/4 tube then ss-4-ta-1-4AN, which adapts the 1/4 end to the -4An male. My opinion is its safer. The adapter can be placed at the end of the steel tube before it goes to the flex hose and on to the TO. You decide.

Is the aluminum fitting for high pressure use, if it isn't then you need to get a steel fitting rated for high pressure. This is one of the problems I came across when searching out fittings, I bought an aluminum fitting from russel as well and no it wasn't rated for high pressure. If your using it for brakes or your hydraulic clutch then your looking at pressures around 2kish.

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next