944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Muffler - options & opinions based on experience EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Muffler - options & opinions based on experience

+2
cfgioja
Dan J
6 posters

Go down

Muffler - options & opinions based on experience Empty Muffler - options & opinions based on experience

Post  Dan J Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi,

Starting to design the exhaust on my LS1 conversion.

The car is running the S&P headers. I will run four 02 sensors and 2 Magnaflow high flow cats. Planning on 2.5" dual with H pipe running back to dual Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers.

Any recommendations on what mufflers to use? Would like to have a low, mellow burbly sound at low rpm (running a 228/228, .588/.588 112 LSA cam) and a nice rip at high RPM. The car will be streeted just to drive to the track and some limited weekend use, but has to be under 98db at the track so I'm not sure if straight thru will be adequate.

Suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down

Muffler - options & opinions based on experience Empty Re: Muffler - options & opinions based on experience

Post  cfgioja Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:03 pm

I think it depends on the sound you want. I prefer Magnaflow on everything I do. It has straight through exhaust no chambers like the Flows do. So you get alot cleaner sound more like the engine coming out the back end instead of a gurgled clump of weird stuff. They made my 84 300zx sound like a monster and the magnaflow I have on the porsche sound good. I am thinking of installing a second one in the middle since I am running a y-pipe setup with a single out its loud and I want it muffled alittle more.
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Muffler - options & opinions based on experience Empty Re: Muffler - options & opinions based on experience

Post  962porsche Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

its not realy the brand of muffler flowmaster or magnaflow . it has to do with the size , shape and inner baffling . my self i use a single exhaust pipe with no cat and just a supertrapp . its a race only car so i just add and remove the plates for the tracks DB level .
962porsche
962porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Ditto on the Magnaflow! I am running a single pipe 3.5" exhaust with Dynomax catalytic coverter, and I am quite inpressed with the sound. IMHO, the I think the pipe diameter is critical to the sound of the exhaust - the muffler just takes the edge off.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthropraxis Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:35 pm

What difference in sound does a larger or smaller diameter exhaust make? I am not there yet but it is never to early to plan.
Arthropraxis
Arthropraxis

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm

What difference in sound does a larger or smaller diameter exhaust make? I am not there yet but it is never to early to plan.

Larger diameter seems to have a deeper sound, and gives you better performance due to less backpressure (providing you keep bends to a minimum).
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  962porsche Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:38 pm

it is know that to get the optimum performance out of a NA motor you need to keep the exhaust tubing with in the proper size for the cubic inchs / liters of the motor your using . thow size and bends will make some deferent but becouse there are only two bends and your kind of stuck with running the exhaust system the way it was with the 4 cylinder motor you are not talking a big deferents in tone . the biggest deferents comes from the muffler . there are basically 5 tipes of mufflers on cars . the way the exhaust gasses flow in and out of the muffler does make the tone of the exhaust . back pressure is needed to make a motor run properly a 4.9 to 5.7 L motor works best with a 3 inch to a 3.30 inch exhaust . giving best botom , mid. and top end power . 5.7 to 6.6 L 3.30 to 3.50 inch . 6.6 to 7.4 3.5 inch to 4 inch . this is ID tubing sizing . so if you install the wrong tubing size just to change the tone of the exhaust (and why would you ) then yes to some extent it does change the tone of the exhaust .
962porsche
962porsche

Back to top Go down

Post  v8944 Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 am

Pat, you're right when you say it gives you a deeper sound. When i installed the dual 3's on my car, the engine ran extraordinarily quietly up front, and the exhaust note was absolutely thunderous out back. What's funny is, i originally had dual 2" into a single 3" all the way out to a flowmaster 50 series...i essentially doubled the size of the exhaust, and i was expecting the volume to be lessened because i was going to be running 2 flowmaster 50 series mufflers...i was dead wrong! The resulting sound was much much deeper, and a bit louder, but ooooo soooo nice!

here's an example, the first is with single 3 inch, the second with dual 3 inch

v8944
v8944

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan J Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:09 am

Thanks for all the input guys - much appreciated. I'll mock something up later this week and post a videos once the motor is running.

Dan.
Dan J
Dan J

Back to top Go down