944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
OS Giken Super Lock!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

OS Giken Super Lock!!

+8
docwyte
87-944S
Porschedoc
1991s2
Porch
skywalker01
cfgioja
Luke714
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OS Giken Super Lock!! Empty OS Giken Super Lock!!

Post  Luke714 Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:48 am

I just had this conversation with a rep from OS Giken. Apparently they're developing a super lock for the 944. I'm getting one this summer. They're excellent LSD diffs for a reasonable price (not especially cheap though).

Hello,

I have been hearing rumors on forums about you guys offering
a diff for the Porsche 944 and 951. I don't see anything on
this site and was wondering whether that died on the vine or is
it still a possibility?

Thanks,
Luke

Dear Luke,

Thank you very much for your email and interest in OS Giken racing products.

Our LSD for the 944 has completed testing and will be released early next year (we expect to have units in stock by Feb or Mar 2011). Dealers should receive pricing and be ready to accept any preorders
by the end of December at the earliest, January at the latest.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sean F
OS GIKEN USA
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

OS Giken Super Lock!! Empty Re: OS Giken Super Lock!!

Post  cfgioja Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:01 am

that is awesome another dealer for parts. What kind of locking diff are they though? gear or clutch type?
cfgioja
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Post  skywalker01 Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:29 am

that is awesome another dealer for parts. What kind of locking diff are they though? gear or clutch type?

Sounding like clutch after reading this:
OS Giken utilized its accumulated racing knowledge and engineering experience to develop its own limited slip differential. Four years of extensive research and development lead to a new and revolutionary LSD design with the capacity to house an unprecedented number of friction plates (up to 28 plates in total) and thus the OS Super Lock LSD was born. The increased number of plates directly has not only dramatically improved our LSD design's locking force and enables it to lock fully and completely. An added benefit to being a fully locking mechanism is that less heat is generated, thus resulting in incredible durability and reliability.
skywalker01
skywalker01

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am

yup, it's a clutch type. Rugged and heck, and as mentioned above they can lock up completely.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:14 am

Not to be a hater, but the Porsche clutch type is already really heavy-duty (and they utilized their accumulated racing knowledge too!), and from what i've seen in terms of price, this OS Giken is still gonna be like $1500. Then you have to pay someone to put it in...

For that much, i think i'd rather either buy a Porsche transaxle that came with one installed (and possibly cooled as well), or just pony up the extra $500 and get a real racing LSD (torsen probably).
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:30 pm

From what I've read and the drawings I've looked at, the LSD that comes in the 944 transaxle is an outdated three plate clutch type. It is only able to provide 20% lock, which is enough to keep both wheels turning under light corning, but if you come close to picking up an inside wheel the 20% will not be nearly enough to keep the inside tire from unloading. Also, having a diff that will be working so hard with the extra lSx power means a lot of heat will be built up. I don't have confidence that the 944 unit will not reach saturation with the amount of power most of us are dealing with. Also, I already have a turbo tranny with the cooler. Just no LSD diff. Since the OS giken is capable of full lock and has a lot of plates to dissipate the heat then hopefully there won't be a ton of wear anyway.

Secondly a torsen type is not an LSD (limited slip) it is a TBD (torque biasing differential). This means that instead of equalizing the wheel speed it equalizes the amount of torque going to each wheel. If a wheel comes up in a corner or looses most of its traction it will still unload and act exactly like an open diff. I also like the way a clutch type drives over a torsen.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:52 pm

I believe the AOR's have 4 clutches and higher pressure, and most stock units have to be rebuilt using the AOR parts.

At any rate, if the Giken was $500 we wouldn't even be having this discussion...but since it's only a few bucks cheaper than the Guard units, and everyone who races runs and swears by the Guard units, i think that's where i'd spend my money! But, there's more than one way to cook a tire i guess Smile
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

OS Giken Super Lock!! Empty OS Giken

Post  1991s2 Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:17 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but in the time since, OS Giken 1.5 way has become the one to have in the auto-x world of tight turns.

1991s2

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am

I ran out of money after I posted this thread originally, but I'm thinking of buying again. Has anyone tried a unit out? Good to know that the 1.5 way is now a respected autox option.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Porschedoc Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 pm

The OS is a great unit, but at about $2k (I talked with Gbox a few months ago about it), it would have a hard time stomaching it. I just had Guard build me a GT3 LSD 40/60 for $900 for a customer car, and I would assume the 944 would be comparable in price, so that extra $1000 would be hard to swallow. If money is no object, then I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Porschedoc

http://www.rennsportkc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Thu May 02, 2013 4:03 pm

That's a killer price at $900, last I looked the 944 LSD was in the 1600-1700 range, my Guard ATB was 3-400 less that the LSD at the time. The cost delta wasn't my driver for ATB, I have used them in other cars and it meets my needs
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 am

So what about the wavetrac? Anyone hear using it? It's only $1300.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's a TBD, but the Wavetrac is setup to be able to apply a load internally with their "waves" so you can still get torque applied to on wheel if the other is in the air. Normally a TBD cannot do this and acts like an open diff if one wheel is in the air. It's be sorta like pulling the handbrake a little bit with a traditional TBD. I like this idea of having 100% "lock" under acceleration out of tight turns (I know it's not lock in the sense of a clutch pack). I also found this rennlist thread:

There's the usual flame war over TBD/LSD but there is also some useful information.

Cheers,

Luke
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  docwyte Mon May 06, 2013 8:48 am

The last time I talked to Guard about a 951 diff it was going to be $2800 for the diff and oil cooler drive gear. How'd you get one for $900?

docwyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 pm

That wavetrac looks pretty decent! I'll be good to hear what people think of them on the track.
Porch
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Tue May 07, 2013 1:52 am

I think that I might try the wavetrac, I'll let people know. It won't be until later in the year that I install.

So what do people use for transmission oil coolers? I've got the little heat-sinked loopty-loop, but is that enough? I know it depends on what you do with the car, but I like overbuilding so that I know it's good for most conditions.
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  marc a Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am

Here is what I did for a track car:

If your LSD can run the internal pump then you can set up the cooler like the pictures indicate.  If not you have to add an external Tilton pump so that it draws through cooler then to tranny.

Marc

Last edited by marc a on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
marc a
marc a

Back to top Go down

Post  Tehone Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:58 pm

After viewing Marc's thread I wanted to get rid of the monster tranny cooler myself.  I'm not keen on threading the aluminum housings on the tranny and possibly the need to take the tranny apart for a good cleaning I came up with this approach for an option.  

I first used brass fittings from the hardware store that would be fitted with AN-fittings/NPT but they stuck out too far and the cut for the hold down clamp area was pretty thin.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Final thought was to use Summit AN-8 UNION fittings as the ID is the same all the way through and about the same ID or slightly larger than the Porsche oil cooler line.  Carefully chuck (don't damage threads on this side) the fitting and turn the slot down (up against the hex) to fit the factory hold down clamp.  Then shave (turn) the threads off and a little more to get the slip fit into the tranny housings port.

Tehone

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Great solution, need to add a lathe to my tool arsenal. Very Happy 
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

OS Giken Super Lock!! Empty Begging for details.

Post  Gutterboy Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Sorry guys but I am having trouble figuring out what exactly this fix does. I am converting a 944s and I got the 951 transaxle with the external cooler but I have to look at the books to see where the cooler even mounts as per stock setup.

I presume this connector idea is just make it easier to disconnect the cooler without possibly messing up the threads to the transaxle every time you wish to remove it?
I beleive there was mention of not having to remove the transaxle with this fitting arrangement? What does this gain a person and for what reason?

My apologies but I am learning as much as I can before I jump in to dropping my 944s block so I can donate it to my local steel plants meltshop.
Gutterboy
Gutterboy

Back to top Go down

Post  87-944S Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 pm

The adapters Tehone made allow to remove the crazy coil factory trans cooler, and use any oil cooler of choice. You can use a larger or more efficient cooler, locate it where you choose. Marca's thread shows how to install a cooler if your transaxle does not have one. He races his 944, and has a very slick setup, feeding the cooler with air from the rear quarter, to the cooler mounted on the inside area of the license plate. Very smart setup!
87-944S
87-944S

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 am

Sorry to have abandoned my own thread for so long, I've been away. Great ideas! I'll be deciding on my own trans cooler soon enough and will post. Since I've had some extra time to save up a little money I might end up going for the super lock instead of the wavetrac.

Cheers,

Luke
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:37 am

I got the super lock, I'll be installing it this winter and will update people on what I think of it this spring/summer! Bought the 1.5 way from European Performance Engineering.

Cheers
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  gamman Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Be sure to describe what type of driving you are doing and what your costs were. Thanks.
gamman
gamman

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Ok, I just took delivery!  I'll be sending it down to Intrasport tomorrow.  It was $2100 (shipped). I bought mine through European Performance Engineering, they've got lots of cool toys in their shop

1.5 way

Lots of clutch disks, it can ramp smoothly to 100% lock

Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm

I just finally got the transaxle back with the differential installed. I've done everything on my car myself, but I decided to let a professional properly install the differential and rebuild the trans. Third gear had sheared the c-clip holding it to the intermediate shaft (I think it was the intermediate and not the input shaft). Anyway, because of the axial forces created by the helical cut gear it wandered down to say hi to 4th gear (maybe 2nd, I don't remember which way it would have gone). The shop that rebuilt my transmission actually ended up welding third back in place. I'm just relaying what they said to me, I didn't do the transmission gut work myself. Other than that the transaxle was just freshened up with new syncros and such. Intersport Auto in VA did the work, while I think the quality of the workmanship by their technician was good I can't exactly recommend their customer service. The total bill for the rebuild, third gear repair, and differential install was $2400. A bit steeper than I was hoping for. I guess there needed to be a bit of modification to the end plate that held one of the differential bearings in order to make room for the gear driving the oil pump as well. I also got a taller 5th gear installed.

I have only driven the car briefly and I'm over the moon about the diff. I will update this thread after doing some auto-x and more street driving. In my brief experience it hasn't really affected drivability, but the car is much more stable and predictable. It's wonderful not having one wheel of fury.

Cheers,

Luke
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next