944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Clutch install EmptyToday at 12:47 am by sharkey

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Clutch install EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Clutch install EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Clutch install EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Clutch install EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Clutch install EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Clutch install EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
Clutch install EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
Clutch install EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
Clutch install EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Clutch install

3 posters

Go down

Clutch install Empty Clutch install

Post  Luke714 Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:49 am

Hello again,

I know I know I've been asking a lot of questions, but at least I've been figuring out the answers slowly Very Happy

I want to get the engine installed once and for all this weekend, all I have to do for that is get the clutch together. I've never replaced a clutch before, my Dad has and he's going to be helping me on this one but it's been a while and don't think he's ever done one on a more performance minded vehicle. I was wondering what tools and parts I will need. Listed below is everything that I have:

1. Flywheel
2. Pressure plate
3. Friction disk
4. Bolts that clamp pressure plate to flywheel
5. Alignment tool
6. Pilot Bearing
7. Pilot Bearing adapter
8. Slave Cylinder
9. Fittings for Slave Cylinder
10. Bolts for the flywheel to the crank (these are the ones that held the stock flywheel on, is it ok to reuse them?
11. loctite
12. Some sort of funny spacer plate, I don't know what this does, please help. you can see it in the picture below if you save the picture. It's just to the right of the flywheel.
13. Torque wrench

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also, where can I find torque specifications for everything?

Thanks,
Luke
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Clutch install Empty Re: Clutch install

Post  944-LT1 Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:30 am

I want to get the engine installed once and for all this weekend, all I have to do for that is get the clutch together. I've never replaced a clutch before, my Dad has and he's going to be helping me on this one but it's been a while and don't think he's ever done one on a more performance minded vehicle. I was wondering what tools and parts I will need. Listed below is everything that I have:

1. Flywheel
2. Pressure plate
3. Friction disk
4. Bolts that clamp pressure plate to flywheel
5. Alignment tool
6. Pilot Bearing
7. Pilot Bearing adapter
8. Slave Cylinder
9. Fittings for Slave Cylinder
10. Bolts for the flywheel to the crank (these are the ones that held the stock flywheel on, is it ok to reuse them?
11. loctite
12. Some sort of funny spacer plate, I don't know what this does, please help. you can see it in the picture below if you save the picture. It's just to the right of the flywheel.
13. Torque wrench
Also, where can I find torque specifications for everything?

Torque:
Flywheel to crankshaft = 75 lb ft
Pressure plate to flywheel = 55 lb ft
Slave cylinder to bellhousing/adapter plate = 40 lb ft

10. Normally, GM used torque to yield (TTY) bolts for almost everything on their engines. This means they are torqued to a specific value and then turned a certain degree more, i.e. 40 ft lbs + 45 degrees. This stretches the bolt. Once its removed, an upon reuse, it will stretch more to give that torque value and may snap. But.... lots of people reuse them atleast once more. Reusing them say, a third time, wouldnt be a good idea.

7. Make very sure that the press fit is snug and doesnt allow the adapter to spin in the crank snout. This would be very bad. You should not beable to turn the adapter in the snout by any means. If it does, it could turn within the snout ruining the crank.

12. That looks to be a slave cylinder shim. Sometimes a slave cylinder needs to be shimmed out from the bellhousing. You can google this as its a whole procedure.

I dont know what bellhousing and adapter you are using but Im assuming you are using one similar to xschops, erics or gregs in which case, the notches where the clutch fittings exit the bellhousing may have to be enlarged a bit. I used a dremel and carbide deburring tip to make mine larger.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I cant really think of anything else you may need other than a case of beer. Listen to your dad and dont forget to have fun....you know. Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:27 am

Good stuff, thanks!
Luke714
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  948 Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:04 am

In a pinch I have reused TTY bolts, but for a new build why bother? For ~$30 you could pick up a set of ARP flywheel bolts.....cheap insurance. Cool

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum