944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build - A Summary
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyToday at 11:30 am by Gutterboy

» Honda k24 swap
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» power steering pump
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Fittings make sure you get the right one EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Fittings make sure you get the right one

4 posters

Go down

Fittings make sure you get the right one Empty Fittings make sure you get the right one

Post  ffmedic Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:13 pm

The reason I am posting this is because of an issue I recently came upon. Feel free to add to this thread though if you have any added information.
Ok I have been searching for a 1/8th pipe to a 4an for hydraulic throwout bearing, this is what I found out: one you need a high pressure fitting and they are a bitch to find, I found one at summit's site and after ordering it for like $3.00 and get this $4.95 shipping I received it ,of course right after I got the fitting I was reading somewhere or watching a hotrod show or something aluminum fittings are not high pressure.
So it got me thinking A) did I get the right fitting= answer no , so of course I checked around some more and I could not for the life of me find a high pressure fitting that went from 1/8th to 4an.
That is until a friend of mine took me to a shop that does all hydraulic lines and sells all the high pressure fittings I would want. (btw thanks JD) And it cost a whole $1.53 without shiping because they had it in stock.
So if your having issues like mine check the yellow pages for something local that works with or just makes high pressure lines.
The place I went was called parker I believe their located in southgate michigan.

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Fittings make sure you get the right one Empty Re: Fittings make sure you get the right one

Post  Tetzuoe Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 pm

yikes, good advice, how high pressure is 'not high pressure' are we ok to use the aluminum ANs in power steering?
Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Fittings make sure you get the right one Empty Re: Fittings make sure you get the right one

Post  ffmedic Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Nooooooooo don't use aluminum fittings in the power steering unless it is only on the low pressure side.
Their is a high pressure side and low pressure side(low being the hose that goes into the cannister that holds the fluid that is not under pressure).
Once it enters the pump it becomes under pressure and from my understanding , it's under like 1500 to 2200psi.
If your using a hydraulic throwout bearing those hoses are under high pressure as well.
So no don't use aluminum fittings for those (unless their are specifically made for high pressure).
If I am wrong please let me know and everyone else know as well.
Dave

ffmedic

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:50 am

Yoou need steel fittings. Aluminum will burst.

Try here
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  5.0L951 Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:42 am

Just because its aluminum doesn't mean it will not withstand 2000 psi. We have 5000 psi gas cylinders at work that use aluminum end fittings. The fitting should have a published pressure rating, go by that. Also high pressure is a relative term and isn't very meaningful. 2000 psi would typically be considered low pressure in many applications. The advice on industrial hydraulic hose supply is very good. The stuff is cheap in comparison to the aftermarket performance parts, just not quite as sexy.

Rob

5.0L951

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 am

That is true, but unless you know for sure don't use aluminum for this application. I worked as an engineer in the industral hydraulic industry for some time. Typically, low pressure is 0-3000 PSIG, medium pressure is 3000-6000 PSIG and high is above 6000 PSIG. But pressure is a relitive turm. It all depends on what you are talking about.

You need to use fittings that have a documented pressure rating. I worked with pressures up to 150,000 PSIG and have worked on determining the cause of failure for many lawsuits. I have seen what happens when someone uses the wrong fittings or hose and causes catistrofic failure. USE ONLY CORRECTLY RATED FITTINGS AND HOSE!
v8carreragts
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down