944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyToday at 9:56 am by ndog52

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 am by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 10:28 pm by Rond948

» VATS Bypass/Delete
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyThu Mar 14, 2024 8:38 pm by Rond948

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

» Crank no start no fuel pump prime
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm by Rond948

» What coilover spring rates are you running with torsion bar removed?
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 10:15 am by dcoutofstep

» 924 that has been modified already
My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) EmptyWed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am by Gutterboy

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures)

+2
Admin
spence
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) Empty My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures)

Post  spence Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Well I finally got everything together and lined up. However, there's something wrong with the passenger side mount. What can I do here? Slot the cross member so the mount slides back? What about the transmission crossmember? If I remember it's slotted. Would moving that take any stress of that mount? Or will everything settle into place once its running?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) Empty Re: My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures)

Post  Admin Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:33 pm

What part of that picture are you calling a problem?

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures) Empty Re: My passenger side motor mount is not fitting right (pictures)

Post  spence Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:11 pm

If you look at the rubber on the motor mount (chevy) it is a little twisted.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Who's up rights are though-es?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:51 am

I got them from you. Any suggestions?
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:15 am

you may have to drill out the cross member out just a little and make sure that when you first put everything in that it is all loose till you get everything lined up. Once everything is straight and in placer then tighten all of the bolts. Unfortunately I think all these cross members are a little different, and that makes it hard to have a universal part that fits perfect every time. If we need to remake that side I will just let me know.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:26 am

Ya, I put everything in loose and then tightened the bolts and that was the result. I think it's off by about 3/4". How can I measure the exact measurement? I don't have any fancy angle finders or anything like that. Can you walk me thru it?
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:11 am

whoa... this looks familiar. With the engine on a hoist and suspended ever so slightly (to help reduce any drag), get under the rear of the car with a length of 2x4 or similar and see if you can lever the drivetrain forward. Can you shift into reverse? Is the shifter further back in the tunnel hole than you remember?

Mine did the same exact thing and I found that the transaxle mount allowed massive fore and aft movement when I wedged a section of wood between the spare tire well and the end of the transmission. Were talking up to a full 1 to 1.5 inches here! Shocked

The drivers side fit fine but the passengers was all screwed due to the soft tranny mount allowing the transmission, torque tube and engine to slouch back....especially when the front of the car is jacked up.

Check this out before any further progress. The CV's should be rather straight as compared to each other and perpendicular to the line of the drivetrain. If they are at an angle from the transmission to the wheel, this is a clue that the mount is lazy and you may need to replace it or upgrade it to a more sturdy alternative.

Last edited by 944-LT1 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 am

After looking at this picture a bit further, im starting to become rather entrenched in my previous opinion of your tranny mount. See the obtuse angle of the rear of the mount as it is? Now imagine if you could get the engine to move forward.... the angle would correct itself. The oil pan is also so much further back from the crossmember than I recall mine or others. It should be quite close to the crossmember...something like 1/4 to 1/2 inch away.

Loosen all nuts and bolts of the uprights so that the engine can be jostled around first. Then, if you can, hoist the weight of the engine so that it can be moved without a lot of drag. Then see if you can push the drivetrain forward.

The biggest thing is to engage the lock tabs of the torque tube to the lock tabs of the torsion tube at the rear. If these are far from each other....this is your answer.

Look into this and let us know!

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:41 am

It's susposed to rain for the next couple days and I dont have a garage. So when it clears up, I'll hook the hoist back up to see if I can get everything to move forward. Hopefully, thats the cause.

Thanks for the help!
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:23 pm

I just looked under the car. The transmission and torque tube can come forward about 3/8". Would that cause that mount to be out that much?
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Thats it? Regardless, you should move the drivetrain forward so the mounts sit happily. The max that it will all go will be when the lock tabs come into contact.

944-LT1
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:31 pm

i had the same problem, it was an easy fix, my motor was not straight, i measure from inside water pump to inside and moved it to the driver side by an 1 and a half, then it fixed it self
modenas
modenas

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I could not get the torque tube any further forward to lock into the tabs on the torsion tube. I put the engine back on the hoist and raised it up to take the weight of the mounts and I removed them. I tried prying with a 2x4 at the back of the transmission and the front as well.
I put a 5P transmission in the car; could it be that the transmission hanger is in a different place? My transmission mount will not allow any forward movement. I think I might have to slot the transmission cross member to engage those tabs. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks guys,
Spencer
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 pm

I just found this picture on the internet; this is exactly how far my torque tube is away from the torsion tube. So can I rule that out?

spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 pm

I think we have figured out the problem here Boy's, Spence sent me a PM with a really good picture of the mount. On his passenger side the motor mount is mounted with the two holes at the bottom and the single hole at the top. Odd, but true, That seems to be the only way to mount it on his motor. Has anyone else run into this with their cars?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:37 pm

I think he has the Baby LT1.....

xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm

I have a 95 LT1... Anyway, I'm such a tool.... haha I removed a bracket that was beside the motor mount and flipped the mount.... as you can see it fits. I feel like such a jackass right now! I didnt even think of removing that bracket.
Now the oil pan is hitting the crossmember.... one thing after another!! Thanks Eric for the call that really helped me out. I knew something was up....

Thanks for the help!
Spencer
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm

My bad too. I see in your gallery you have alloy heads. The 4.3L V8 came with iron heads....
You can trim the front of your upright bolt thru's by 1/2 to 5/8" to clear the oil pan/xmember
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm

you can trim the front of your upright bolt thru's by 1/2 to 5/8" to clear the oil pan/xmember

Wouldn't I just put a spacer under the uprights to lift the engine up? I'm not sure how much it needs to be lifted right now. I'll have to check tomorrow.
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 pm

too a point, but the thicker the spacers under the uprights, the angles will change some. glad you found your problem...

i thought you meant the rear of the xmember hits the sump pan face....trimming the front of the uprights will give more clearance there is all....
xschop
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:30 pm

I put 1/2" of washers under each upright and that still wasn't enough. The oil pan is hitting the steering rack. Does anyone have any suggestions besides the one I don't want to hear?
spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:32 pm

To be honest I recommend you go to summitracing.com and buy the poly mounts. They do NOT settle at all.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:51 pm

What does your oil pan modifications look like?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spence Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:45 am

spence
spence

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next