944Hybrids: 924/944/968 and 928 V8 Conversions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Honda k24 swap
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyYesterday at 6:12 am by Colibri Green

» NDog52's 1986 NA 5.3 Build
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm by Raymond-P

» power steering pump
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:29 pm by Blaizefed

» FRESH BUILD - after a few miles became hard to get into gear
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 1:30 pm by Raymond-P

» VATS Bypass/Delete
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by 948

» Ray's 1987 944 LS1 Build & Swap
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:52 pm by Raymond-P

» Purpose of the speed sensor with a stock ECU
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:17 pm by Rob44

» FS: Porsche 928 968 944 S2 951 Turbo FRONT BREMBO CALIPERS
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 3:22 pm by dcoutofstep

» 944 S2/Turbo J LTD Edition Front Lip Spoiler - Brand New never fitted
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm by dcoutofstep

» Adding Purge Solenoid Wiring to Standalone Harness
Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm by ndog52

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s

3 posters

Go down

Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s Empty Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s

Post  subterfuge Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Hello all, great site you have here. My name is Alex, (same as my screen name over at rennlist) I have an 88 NA, which is my third 944, that I bought several years ago specifically to do a swap. The damn thing just kept going (well over 300k mi at this point), so I did a little maintenance here and there to keep it patched together, but now, with a blown water pump, it is time.

I am basically starting from scratch. I originally wanted to use the 5.3 vortec engine, but being in CA, that is a no go. As I have been doing a little research here and at the other board, it looks like the LT1 is the way to go both for cost (which is a factor- I'll be doing all the work myself, or calling in favors with friends/family when it is warranted) and for simplicity in getting the car approved by the referee.

For those in CA (or who are familiar with the freedom sapping environment we deal with here- and no, moving isn't an option right now), if you were doing it all over again, which year/model LT1 would you select for the best and/or easiest year in deal with the smog equipment & approval? Is OBDI or II preferred? Camaro or Corvette? I am sure it is not that cut and dry, there will most likely be pros and cons to each, but is there a specific LT1 that lends itself to the CA problems? On that note, is there a board area or resource that deals specifically with the challenges of CA or other states with strict emissions control? I know that everything has to be stock or an approved replacement part. I was planning on just using stock exhaust manifolds to get approval, and maybe for the near future, I was thinking this might also help with the exhaust routing issues with headers... but I don't know...

Is the Quick Time BH the best way to go? I know the C5 BH runs around $300 new, plus having the adapter made, seems like the QT would be preferred all things considered.

I have Greg's manual, and I am ready to get to it, and while I try to do my research before asking questions, I know that they will come up. Thanks in advance, and thanks to 944-LT1, who was the one who originally convinced me this was something I can do for a reasonable amount of money with enough effort.
subterfuge
subterfuge

http://www.subterfugedesignworks.com

Back to top Go down

Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s Empty Re: Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Where do you live? OBD1 is prefered since you don't have to duplicate evaporative emissions. You will need to use the Chevy Chacoal Canister (stock Porsche location) and legal headers. If you want call me and I can talk to you more.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s Empty Re: Greetings, and a few questions about CA legal LT1s

Post  subterfuge Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks, Dawg, PM received. I have read a few posts of yours in my searching. I live in Temecula, about half way between LA and San Diego.

Edit- well I don't have enough posts to send PMs, but I will try to give you a call this eve if that is ok.
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:41 pm

That is fine.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am

subterfuge wrote:Is the Quick Time BH the best way to go? I know the C5 BH runs around $300 new, plus having the adapter made, seems like the QT would be preferred all things considered.
Welcome Alex.

One would think so anyway, for cost and SFI approval. The RM-6033 was hammered-out on PHB before "Black Friday" came along...The free-speech Nazis deleted most of the results of a 30 page thread. As far as saving money goes, I have a GM 384-0383 bellhousing and adapter system (shown in the Manual) that could be sent out the door for less than the C5 BH alone. PM me if interested.

Greg

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks Greg, I think I will probably get to the BH at the end of the parts collection process since there is some flexibility there on how I do it. If I need to go with a more cost conscious solution, and you still have it, we can work that out then.
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I have a GM 384-0383 bellhousing and adapter system

Greg,

With this system, the RAM 78125 T/O bearing is used, according to the manual. Would I use this with the Porsche clutch MC, or should I go to one of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

From the diagram, it looks like this set up is a little more complicated- is there any disadvantage to this BH setup over the C5 / adapter plate setup? I have found a source for C5 BHs for $187.
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 pm

subterfuge wrote:I have found a source for C5 BHs for $187
Let me guess...GMPartsDirect?
If not, PM me a link, would ya?

The main advantage of the C5 is the removable lower section, the main benefit of the SBC BH is cost.
Both work, but for $187 (New?), the C5 will be a simpler setup. Overall cost comes close to the QuickTime scattershield setup, so it's a matter of choice and availability really.

Maybe I'll hang on to the 383 bellhousing.
Nice to have a "back-up plan" in case the C5 BH cracks on me...

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Yeah, are they not a good company to do business with?
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:10 pm

I don't know, but after shipping, etc. I was looking at about $280+.
Put one in your "cart" and see what happens...

Shocked me.

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:38 pm

With s/h it was $215. The initial cost was $176, don't know where I got $187... Not the best rate on shipping, but not a terrible deal.
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Took the plunge. A 94 Corvette LT1 is on its way. Also picked up a C5 bh w/ all the clutch components & adapter plate for a great deal. Next item on the list is the tubular crossmember. Waiting on a check to place that order.

Man I need to get my garage cleaned out....
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm

So...

Now that I have a Corvette engine, does this complicate anything with regard to the emissions stuff? Originally, I was looking at Camaro engines, and using a Camaro VIN for the BAR. Is the required emissions gear interchangeable? I guess I don't want to try to register as a Camaro because the emissions regs may be different... at least that is what I am assuming since the Corvette since the HP/TQ ratings were different. Hmm... Tim?
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:58 pm

The Bar Label did not differentiate, it just says 95 (or in your case 94) Chevrolet 5.7. I recommend using a VIN from a manual 94 Corvette since the headers (which I forgot to photograph btw I will do it after I get the car back from the mechanic) are corvette. I'm pretty sure they do not care where the accessories came from.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Cool, I wanted to make sure I didn't make things harder on myself... well, for the extra 25 hp, not too much harder anyway. I look forward to seeing those pics, but don't sweat it- I've got a little while before I need to get too wrapped up in that part of it. I am curious about what you figure out with your brakes, too.
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:16 pm

The only difference between the Corvette engine and camaro engine is the exhaust manifolds and 4 bolt mains. Everything else is identical. The less restrictive vette airbox and manifolds account for all of the hp difference.
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Gotcha. I guess it is all a wash in the end then. I didn't even set out looking for a corvette engine, but a lot of the Camaro options were beat to hell, so I paid a little more and went with something that looked like it was in good shape.
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Well no biggie the vette motors are better solely because of the 4 bolt main. How many miles does said motor have?
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:23 am

87k. And yeah, the 4 bolt main was part of the attraction. The guys I got it from are an actual business that specializes in corvette stuff, which does make me feel a little better (not much) than if it were from bubba's camaara that has been sitting out in the back 40 for 6 years...

Edit: When will you know how your dual MC brakes are working out?
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawgz83948 Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:28 am

Lets not talk about the brakes for now.... Evil or Very Mad

BTW photos of the headers off the car. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dawgz83948
Dawgz83948

Back to top Go down

Post  subterfuge Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 am

thanks for the pics, very helpful. when you get your car back, I'd love to see them installed.
subterfuge
subterfuge

Back to top Go down