HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Which turbo trans for my swap application?
Today at 8:10 pm by racertomtom

» Poly based strut mounts on exchange
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm by xschop

» 18x10" Enkei wheels
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm by Sterling Doc

» Around the block
Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am by Red944ls1

» RX7 Caliper Swap
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am by osx86ftw

» Cooling solutions please!
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:15 pm by yamamtx

» Holley intake, vacuum pump and cross member spacer
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 am by zeusrotty

» Sparkydog's Abnormal Build - 944 With L67 + Ford Stuff & CARB Legal
Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm by sparkydog

» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am by haroldk

» Coolant / header tank cap
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm by Arthropraxis

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

First topic- LSx porsche current pics...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First topic- LSx porsche current pics...

Post  golfduke on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 am

I can't bear to see the subforum empty, so I'm posting some pics. GOTTA love those GT racing buckets and their EXCELLENT fitment Laughing

I got all my gauging installed as well, but I forgot those pictures. I'll add more here as I see fit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
golfduke

Back to top Go down

Re: First topic- LSx porsche current pics...

Post  golfduke on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:38 am

Notes-

Yes, the engine bay is in disarray. No it will not stay like that. I have a car meet in TN in 2 weeks. I'm trying to get it on the road as quickly as possible, hence a little bit of disorganization.
golfduke

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:38 am

Be patient Grasshopper, I am working on a good fitting set of buckets. I will post when they are ready.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:36 pm

GOTTA love those GT racing buckets and their EXCELLENT fitment

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

To start off this section of the board CORRECTLY.....

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  golfduke on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:10 am

944-LT1 wrote:
GOTTA love those GT racing buckets and their EXCELLENT fitment

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

To start off this section of the board CORRECTLY.....

I'll fight you :p

I honestly was completely open-minded about the LT1, I just happened to get a really good deal on a wrecked LSx from a buddy of mine. Both are bad ass motors, how about that?
golfduke

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:07 pm

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

.... what are you doing with your old fenders!?!?
namely... fender.
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  golfduke on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Tetzuoe wrote:wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

.... what are you doing with your old fenders!?!?
namely... fender.

only the pass side is good... It's yours if you want it, but it's not in pristine condition or anything.
golfduke

Back to top Go down

Post  Tetzuoe on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:20 pm

*@&#^*@&#^!!!!!
only need the drivers side.... remember what happened with mine... now beer pong table decoration
Tetzuoe

Back to top Go down

Post  944LS4 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, looking to start my conversion.   I recently acquired a 87 944 turbo, that just doesn't have any power.  I have done some research and decided that this car needs a LS engine of some sort. I'm not looking to spend thousands for a LS6, but came across a LS4.  This engine seems the best of all worlds.  It utilizes LS6 cylinder heads, it's shorter, and can be easily obtained at any junk yard for under 500.00 dollars.  I don't see any threads on here showing that anyone has successfully installed a LS4, would I be the worlds first?
Here are a picture of the car I just bought

Last edited by 944LS4 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added "the")
944LS4

Back to top Go down

Post  Geoff Daniels on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:37 pm

That is a 944 NA, not a Turbo 951.

Geoff Daniels

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:09 pm

944LS4 wrote:Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, looking to start my conversion.   I recently acquired a 87 944 turbo, that just doesn't have any power.  I have done some research and decided that this car needs a LS engine of some sort. I'm not looking to spend thousands for a LS6, but came across a LS4.  This engine seems the best of all worlds.  It utilizes LS6 cylinder heads, it's shorter, and can be easily obtained at any junk yard for under 500.00 dollars.  I don't see any threads on here showing that anyone has successfully installed a LS4, would I be the worlds first?
Here are a picture of the car I just bought

When you say it's shorter, what exactly do you mean by shorter?
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  944LS4 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Geoff Daniels wrote:That is a 944 NA, not a Turbo 951.

This may explain the lack of power. I'm amazed that Porsche let these cars leave the factory the way they are configured. Be that as it may, the LS4 is physically shorter from front to back, you save several inches in space. This is nice when you ever need to replace the serpentine belt.
944LS4

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:40 pm

944LS4 wrote:
Geoff Daniels wrote:That is a 944 NA, not a Turbo 951.

This may explain the lack of power.  I'm amazed that Porsche let these cars leave the factory the way they are configured.  Be that as it may, the LS4 is physically shorter from front to back, you save several inches in space.  This is nice when you ever need to replace the serpentine belt.

Actually the cylinder block is identical length to the other LS engines. The crankshaft itself is only 13mm shorter in total length. It is a few mm shorter on each end of the crankshaft.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your comment of Porsche letting the cars leave the factory the way they are configured. You bought a non turbo car that was never turbo'd from the factory. They have multiple models ranging from n/a (normally aspirated) like yours, then an S model that was a 16 valve engine (again n/a), then a turbocharged model that looked a lot different in the front bumper area. Later years, they made another version of the 16 valve engine that made a little more power and had the same front bumper as the turbo (also n/a).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  944LS4 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Excellent to know, I should of researched the variants of the 944 before buying one. You are correct with 13mm short at the crank, roughly 1/2". You also gain space because all the accessories are nicely tucked in toward the block. I speculate 2-3" off the front side of the engine.
944LS4

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkey on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 am

the ls4 is actually quite a different beast. it uses a modified small gm bellhousing bolt pattern (similar to the v6 v6 engines), and the starter is mounted to the transmission case in the cars they came in, i dont think the block has provisions to mount the starter.

sharkey

Back to top Go down

Post  erioshi on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:09 am

There are some aluminum block options other than an LS6. You might be able to find an LS1 which would be a bit less expensive. There are also some GM truck engines that have aluminum blocks; an L33 would be one example. If you do go the truck engine route, you are likely to spend as much (or more) as you did on the engine sourcing all the accessory, intake and clutch parts necessary to make it fit into your car. I started with an L33 thinking I could beat the odds and save a few dollars, and I've easily hit the price of an LS1 with the other parts I've purchased. I did spend on some performance goodies, but if I had started with an LS1 I may have waited on the upgrades. If you are on a tight budget, the one advantage might be that you can purchase the parts here and there, when you have free cash instead of paying all at once. That said, if I were I to do it again, I would just wait and shop for a good deal on an Ls1 or LS6.
erioshi

Back to top Go down

Post  944LS4 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I will use Renegade Hybrid for the parts that I will need. They seem very expensive for what it really is. All parts needed for this build will be custom, if I go with a LS1 or a LS4, the mating adapters will have to be specially made and will be somewhat pricey unless I find a machine shop hungry for work. Has anyone mapped out the dimensions of the torque tube yet?
944LS4

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin924kevin on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:12 am

Everything you need you can get on this forum. All adapters and parts are made on this site. No custom parts needed for the ls1.
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  944LS4 on Thu May 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Is it still raining in Canada?  Custom parts are still custom parts, doesn't matter if this part happens to be sitting on a shelf ready to be sold.  

Come on guys, don't you think this will look cute installed?
944LS4

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Thu May 05, 2016 2:32 pm

While it might look cute......, I can see a lot of reasons why not to do it.

First off is the bell housing area is totally different from the other LS engines that are currently being swapped into these cars. So that may make it hard to find a bell housing that can be adapted to the torque tube. And did any of the fwd cars come with manual trans? If not then clutch and flywheel issues will come up.

Second big problem I see is the oil pan. That's a whole different set up again. Does anyone make a pan that fits that block that has a rear sump? Also the dip stick is on the wrong side and would be in the way of the brake booster/master cylinder.

Does anyone make a stand alone wire harness for that engine?
Plus I'm sure there are a lot of other unique issues with that engine.

Now, that doesn't mean it can't be done. But, is it worth the extra time and money to use this engine for a probable one off build? Especially for an engine that only produces about 300hp. A much cheaper LS1 makes 350.

This is just my 2 cents worth. I'm always willing to learn and be proven wrong. I love innovation.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin924kevin on Thu May 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Dry where i am. As stated innovation is fun, and kudos if this is the route you choose. As i am doing the Z06 trans complete with the LS3 ,it comes with a lot of little changes every time you turn around. No regrets from my end but, if you want to drive it now, then do the LS1. If you have time and no rush, see what can be done.
kevin924kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hotrodz of Dallas on Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 pm

kevin924kevin wrote:Dry where i am. As stated innovation is fun, and kudos if this is the route you choose. As i am doing the Z06 trans complete with the LS3 ,it comes with a lot of little changes every time you turn around. No regrets from my end but, if you want to drive it now, then do the LS1. If you have time and no rush, see what can be done.

My own personal 944 project is going to be a long term fabrication intensive project as well.
My plans are to use a built LS (580bhp) that I already have along with a T56 on the back of the engine. Then I have a complete GTO independent rear suspension setup that I will graft into the car. I also have 2 sets of Kinesis center lock wheels that I will adapt to fit. They are 18x10 and 18x12. Bolting on flares front and rear to cover the tires. Will have a full rollcage tucked in so tight that I can cover it with modified A & B pillar trim panels to look almost factory. I will use a removable door bar set up. It will have A/C, heat, and cruise control.

My eventual goal is to do the One Lap of America tour. And then maybe the Hotrod Power Tour after that.
Hotrodz of Dallas

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top