HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» LSA Supercharged 86 Porsche 944
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by LSA_944

» LS3 conversion
Yesterday at 11:00 am by JSP

» robschwieb's 85.5 944 LS1 Swap
Yesterday at 9:16 am by robschwieb

» Blue Alternator Wire
Yesterday at 6:57 am by robschwieb

» A/C parts used for the swap !
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:37 am by Rothaus

» **FIXED** 944 with LS3 bucking or jerking while cruising or low speed problem
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 pm by Porsche951toLS3

» 944 -> Cayenne 3.2l v6 swap
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:21 pm by Arno

» Any tips or tricks to fitting a 4" intake setup?
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 am by robschwieb

» 944 LS1, getting started
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:58 pm by Nik still

» Building Off of Original 944 Engine Mounts?
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:41 pm by AS15

November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

My Porsche LS1 build

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: My Porsche LS1 build

Post  Luke714 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 pm

how much lighter is the lS1 when it is all said and done?
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  ghostcloak on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 pm

I wouldn't refer anyone to Cody for any work after what he did to my car.

I was build #009. I got played, probably because I'm younger than him, I don't know. That 008 car looks awesome, but I've heard from several sources that it's had plenty of trouble at the track... I've had my share of headaches as well, including a couple instances where I was left on the side of the road... Slowly, I've been able to find his shortcuts and half-assed crap and replace/repair them as necessary...

I seriously hope you aren't in business with the Forbes... Cody had got my hopes up and now I'm seeing the reality of it all...

Last edited by ghostcloak on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : .)
ghostcloak

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 pm

hmmm... well that's too bad. I don't have any plans of getting help from him, not enough money Razz After I made that post I was looking closely at some of the pictures and it looks like the workmanship is a little shotty. Looks great from the outside though.

Does anyone know of any cheaper matching wheels in 17x11 and 17x10 besides CCW's?
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  ghostcloak on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Haha yeah... The car was a 951 donor with dry sump and a blown 2.5L. It was already tracked out...

When the conversion ran, the car was fast. However it did have overheating problems among other gremlins. He always said, "Oh we're trying something new to see how it'll work!", you know, to cover his ass when that something broke/failed...

Last edited by ghostcloak on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)
ghostcloak

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 pm

metal jacketed coolant hoses aren't necessarily a good thing are they?
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:51 am

Just another little update:

I managed to get home for another weekend, I’ve been squeezing more time in on this project than I had originally intended to be able to do. I hope my engineering course grades don’t reflect that Razz.

Unfortunately since I’m starting to sell a lot of stuff on Ebay I spent a good amount of time packaging and prepping stuff for shipping. Hopefully I make enough money selling the old stuff to cover the cost of the LS1.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It was Christmas when I got back to the shop though; I had a good stack of packages waiting for me. The new torsion bars look like they could knock out an elephant, they’re 29mm. Supposedly this will give me approximately 300#/in in the rear.

While I had the rear end torn apart I figured I’ll replace all the rubber bushings as well, so I ordered a set of hard plastic bushings from Lindsey Racing. They look good, now I’d just like to buy a set of the mono-balls for the trailing arms. I’m waiting until I get those and have the engine/tranny back in the car before I replace the bars so I don’t have to go through the indexing process more than once.

Of course the new Corbeau seats look great as well, they’re darn comfortable too. I couldn’t believe how light they were in comparison to the old leather seats, they aren’t all torn up either. I’m waiting until I get to the rest of the interior before I bolt them in place. I’ll be replacing all the Porsche gauges, covering the hole where the back seats used to be and steam cleaning all the current carpet. I can sit in them and not have my head crammed against the ceiling too!

As far as actual work done all I managed was continued engine bay cleanup, and some part removal. I got the engine harness completely removed from the car, that’ll be sold soon I hope. I also removed the headers and sold those. Other than that I started to clean the bay, removed the rest of the AC system (besides the evaporator, I still have to get to that), removed the Intercooler, removed the old windshield washer system, started on the brake master cylinder, etc. Hopefully one more weekend and I can be getting ready to reverse the direction of all the rachets!

I’ve also got to put some finishing touches on the bell housing adapter plate, time to get the rotary table out for those grooves. I’ve also got to get a ball mill to machine in the clearance for the clutch hydraulic lines.

(I’ve removed the AC lines and some other stuff since this pic was taken)

I was hoping someone could tell me what this thing-ah-ma-jig does; one line runs into the fender well and disappears. I haven’t taken out the fender liners to look where it goes. The other end of the line chases back to the top of the fuel tank. I’m assuming this is some sort of evaporative emissions stuff. I took some sort of valving that was connected to this line as well as some vacuum lines out of the car. Here is a picture of the part and where it goes. Sorry for my ignorance.

Luke
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  ghostcloak on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:47 pm

FYI

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You might want to check out this rennlist thread concerning seat mounts... definitely an eye opener and something you may want to consider...
ghostcloak

Back to top Go down

Post  cfgioja on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:06 pm

the line that goes to the fender well connects to the carbon canister. As far as what it all does I am not the one to ask. I was running with out emissions.
cfgioja

Back to top Go down

Great Autocross

Post  Luke714 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I just got back from a weekend of racing in Glen NH, at the storyland theme-park in the white mountains. They had a great track built, absolutely huge and with some great elevation changes. Got to ride in some great cars, my friend ran his 325i with 300k miles on it. I didn't enter, trying to save money for the conversion, but it was loads of fun to watch, talk and ride along. The course was definitely cut out for high speeds and high power, wasn't the most technical autox I've seen. Cumberland Motor Club held the event, I highly recommend those guys. Friendly, efficient and got lots of runs in.

Pictures and videos are here:

Day 1

Day2

A couple of the more interesting pictures and videos:

The ol girl's still racing:

Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  taget on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 pm

I would definately remove the seats and check the floor around the mounting bolts. When I removed the carpet and looked at the outside drivers side boss where the mounting bolt screws in -- it was cracked in 3 places. The boss itself was ok --it was where it was welded to the floor on a raised section of sheetmetal where the metal had torn.

I ended up welding in a few pieces of steel to reinforce the sheetmetal...but IM thinking of tearing it out and putting in a much sturdier solution. The floor itself flexs visibly when I push on it in that area.

taget

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:33 pm

I checked around the mounting points, it doesn't look like anything has cracked....yet. It seems like a weak point so I'll do something before bolting them in.

Thanks for all the warning guys! Very Happy
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:33 pm

I just have to post something because I'm soooooo darn excited to get this project properly underway. The LS1 savings account is coming along nicely and I can't wait!!1 bounce

Thanks for all the help guys. cheers

I also just got the adapter plate on the rotatory table and cut the clearance slots for the slave cylinder. As soon as I figure out how to get the bluetooth on my phone working and get the pics off that I'll post.
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Sun May 02, 2010 10:42 am

I jumped into the shop at school to use the mill and finish up my adapter plate. Pretty easy job, setup just took a while. I’m waiting until the last minute to put in the dowels, how long should those be? On the drawings it says 12mm x 30mm, but in the drawing the dowels are definitely not shown as 30mm long.

Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca on Sun May 02, 2010 1:16 pm

12mm X 35mm.
About $2.43 each @ Fastenal.

Studs / Set Screws:
7/16"-14 x 1-1/2" Alloy Steel Black Oxide Cup Point SSS
$1.45 each.

This is what I'm using now on the 944V8S C5 Plate.

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Sun May 02, 2010 1:26 pm

good to know, thanks. I don't have the manual with me right at this moment, but I don't remember needing set screws. I'll have to read the section again when I get back to my room....

I remember threading a couple of holes to 7/16-14 though.
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi,

I figured that I hadn’t given an update in a little while. I’ve been making it home on weekends to work on the car in the evenings after my weekend job. Currently I’m looking for a good LS1 engine candidate, if anyone knows of a good deal let me know. There are a bunch on Craig’s List, but honestly I’m a little hesitant to buy that way, especially when the deal sounds too good to be true.

Most of the engine mount hardware is done, the uprights, setback plates, spacers, bell-housing adapter. There might have to be some shaping done to the setback plates, but I’ll see where I have to trim once I get the engine. If I don’t have to spend the time with the hacksaw, then I won’t. Right now they’re pretty square.

The uprights are all done, but only tack welded together. I very carefully used a jig to get everything lined up, but I’m still holding off on the really serious welding. Embarrassingly the first time I started fabricating the uprights I was using 1.75” tubing. After that I got some tubing in the correct diameter. Just goes to show that it never pays to assume that the guy you bought the steel from measured correctly. I just ordered a set of shorty motor mounts from Greg to make sure those fit.

I test fit the adapter plate, it fits just right inside the torque tube and the bolt holes line right up. We’ll see how the rest of it fits. I’ve still got to cut the clearance passages for the clutch lines.

While I wait for an engine I decided to start on the brake system. I haven’t gotten very far but I started machining the manual master cylinder push rod. I’ll get to the plate next.

Last weekend I was finally able to start getting the front suspension back together. I only got as far as putting together the Ground Control coilovers, but it was a start. I bought the camber/caster plates too and they fit great. I decided to take Jay’s advice and I cut the rest of the spring perch off of the strut. It looks really good; I’m looking forward to seeing how these guys perform. Either I’ve got to buy the adjustment tool or make my own spanner to adjust the damping on the shocks. I think I’ll end up making my own. The plan is to send the front spindles off for machining and install the track use front ball joints.

Since I’m selling a lot of the old car parts on Ebay I also just pulled the old engine apart to get the head and cam out. I couldn’t believe how badly scored the cylinder bores were. I knew it was bad, but these were major. I confirmed my suspicion of a leaky head-gasket as well. That engine was in rough shape.

So I guess I’m not doing too bad for my first ever car project.

Thanks for all the help,

Luke
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Luke,

You can use a 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" holesaw to notch the top of the vertical tube @ the proper angle (I couldn't find a 1" large-arbor holesaw), but I found that (even the 1-1/8" saw cut with) 1.50" DOM had to be "persuaded" to shrink it's walls when it came to welding in the 1.0" OD top tube. Thinner wall (.083" for example) tubing required some "sledge" persuasion to close the gap before welding.

I like the 1.50" DOM, even with the massaging required.
Without a SolidWorks analysis, and considering the angle of the uprights, "going big" won't hurt.
Make's 'em look "stumpy & strong", like a Bulldog. L O L , NYUUK, NYUUK, NYUUK.
[ and the DOM may not be necessary, but it definitely will stay put with the V8 on its angled back...]

Yeah, I'm full of tips (and a few other things...).

Razz

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:55 am

Thanks. I ended up using a 1" mill in pretty much the same way you just suggested using the hole saw, it worked good. The milling machine just had to become a contortionist. Hopefully I'll get those motor mounts next week and make sure they fit.

I was also wondering, do you guys just drill out the hole in the cross-member? I'm assuming that's what done. The hole were the pad needs to go on mine is only like 3/8", or is that not where I'm supposed to mount them?

Thanks,
Luke
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 am

Yes, just drill them out a little.

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.TexasPerformanceConcepts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got my LS1 today! I'll post more extensively when I have more time. I've got the new C5 bell housing sitting on it in a couple of the pictures. As soon as I get the engine mounts from Greg it'll go into the car for a test fit! Also found out my adapter plate fits great!

Cheers,
luke
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:39 pm

like ur engine hoist
modenas

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:44 am

I was hoping to see you stick the LS1 in the tractor.... Twisted Evil
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:21 am

Ha, thanks! That’s my dad’s new toy, it worked great to get it into the shop. I’ve got to find a place that will let me borrow a hydraulic lift for the installation though.

I’ll post more pictures and info later tonight.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] alt="" />
Twisted Evil

Thanks for the support,

Luke
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke714 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Well, as you can see I’ve finally got the engine in the shop. I’ve been waiting for a long time for this. I can’t wait to get it into the car! On a first inspection the engine seems to be in great condition. It is from a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 70,000 miles on it. All the cylinders are between 180 and 190 psi. There don’t appear to be any leaky gaskets or seals at all! The dark patches you see are from WD-40.

Right now all I’ve done is get it onto the engine stand, take off the exhaust manifolds, AC compressor and power steering pump. I’ll spend a little more time cleaning and stuff later, but it doesn’t really need much. I do need to get some new plug wires, one of them got ripped apart during shipping, I need to check the spark plugs too.

I’ve ordered a Griffin radiator, Moroso Oil pan, new pan gasket, and a Moroso oil pickup from Summit today, so those should be getting hear for next weekend. The engine shorty engine mounts should also be on there way. Did you get my order, Greg? I think the money went through pretty early on this month and I haven’t gotten them yet? Hope the UPS guy didn’t get eaten by rabbits trying to get down my driveway.

I’ve also gotten about halfway through replacing the rear torsion bars, what a nightmare. As you can see everything is apart now, so I don’t really have any choice.

One question I’ve got, regarding the brake pushrod: What’s going on here? There aren’t any dimensions and I can’t quite guess what it is.

Some things I’ve got to look into, I haven’t done too much reading yet but if you have some enlightenment that would be cool.

1. PS pump. I want to use the 944 unit, how have people mounted it? It seems like there was a thread about that at one point but I can’t seem to find it.
2. Altenator, I assume I need to use the one off of the LS1. Are there any interference issues with it where it is now?
3. Engine setback plates and uprights: I haven’t actually done any measuring or reading on this yet, I assuming it is fairly obvious. There are six holes that would allow for two positions on the setback plates, which position do I want? It seems like the bracket for the altenator gets in the way in a couple of the positions. As stupid as this sounds I haven’t actually thought about whether the engine uprights move the engine mounts forward or back. Same for the setback plates. Like I said, next weekend I’m going to figure all that out. Note that the uprights have not been painted or more than tack welded together. The countersink and outside profile in the setback plates have not been done yet either.

Also, I was wondering if this would work for the remote oil filter?: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers,
Luke

P.S. I don’t actually like tractor pulls
Luke714

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:22 pm