HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Problem with Dual Remote Vacuum Boosters
Today at 9:35 am by johntorg

» 1987 944 Turbo --> LS
Today at 8:39 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» Iron vs Aluminum LS? discuss...
Today at 8:27 am by Hotrodz of Dallas

» For sale $150 Griffin for LS1 LS Radiator swap
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm by matt889

» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm by jpkinerk

» 1984 Gen IV 5.3 Swap
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am by superman22x

» Aluminum 5.3 swap
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm by turbobob924

» Power and Torque figures
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 am by Fubar

» Aftermaket Seat Options
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:04 am by Jchard944

» 83' Porsche 944 LM7 Build
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 pm by Jchard944

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

Other Transaxles

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

decisions

Post  xschop on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 pm

So for the V8-944,which Aisin box would be a better choice of Ratio spread between the AX-15 and the Colorado, Canyon, Hummer since they already have the 4x4 housing attached to make mating to the (2.73) C5 diff alot easier? The other trans that come out of 2-wheel RWD cars can be mated with the 4x4 housings, but their output shaft are longer and different spline patterns for the various trans....

Toyota Tacoma, New Camaro, Cadillac CTS(V) has an Aisin AY-6 6-speed manual. Chech out the rear housing attachment...looks like the same pattern as all the above 5 speeds......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

xschop

Back to top Go down

Re: Other Transaxles

Post  v8carreragts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:54 pm

California Motorsports does not make ring and pinion gears in house. They have them made by Albins in Australia. (actually I think all there gears are made by them) The machine that makes ring and pinions is not very common and there are only a few places that have them. This machine only makes ring and pinions. I seriously doubt that California Motorsports could make up 1 gear set. If they could i'm sure that there wlould be a few from the GT40 forum that would buy them right away.

At this time there are no ring and pinions avaliable for the 016 other than OEM. There were two different ratios available in the past but have been sold out. (one was 3.1) The 3.1's were avalible from German Transmissions (Oregon I think) and they would not sell them outright. They would only sell them along with a rebuild and the cost of the gear set alone was $2900 from what I was told.

The guys on the GT40 forum have already contacted Albins about this and they want an order of 15 sets at I think it was $1900 each.
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 pm

$1900 will buy a lot of gas...
Porch

Back to top Go down

928 Clunky Transaxle

Post  xschop on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:42 pm

If the 928 had better synchros and a stronger case.....then the Earlier 928 TT and G28 transaxle is the exact length of the 944 Torque tube and Audi box....amazing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  Porch on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:03 pm

I think with the axle position on those, the bulk of the transaxle would need to go where the torsion bar tube is.
Porch

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 pm

u think. or you contacted them. i was going by what one of the techs told me from a actual phone call to california motorsports.he said they can cut gears in house.for a premium price.they said they had a special machine that could cut rp gears.they do sell albins gears for the 944 .the gentalman i talked to sounded well informed .that was at california motorsport .you might be right as is does take a very special cnc to cut ring and pinions the tech might have been wrong but he sounded like he knew his stuff.
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

so are you going to mount a c5 diff to your 944 .273 gonna give one heck of a top end
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:19 pm

I am going to mount it to the rear of one of those 5-speeds of which I have'nt decided. If the 944 Torsion tube were removed and notched, the Early 928 would directly bolt in with a modified C5 adapter plate and C5 BH. The G28 5-speed is Rare as hens teeth and it has old style synchros and a weak box that heats and expands. The Aisin trannies have a sandwich betwwen the casing halves that give it mega strength there and all the gears inside are wide. I will convert a 928 later and I'll already be ahead of the game with this set-up in the 944. I will just put a longer differential-tranny adapter tube and shaft that goes over the 944 torsion tube. There is an added benefit to this way of doing it......a shorter TT with only 2 TT bearings installed and it will remove a whole lot easier for clutch removal/upgrades..... I may just reuse the stock 944 TT and cut it down by 2 to 2.5 ft...depends on how I do the TT to Tranny coupler....This will be my summer project as I will be doggin the piss outta the NA tranny Twisted Evil
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:33 pm

its always when u try to getm to break they never do it when your in the middle of nowhere they will lol.ill be watching cause when i do my 87 turbo i want somthing that will take some power
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm

I talked Roger Brown from CMS. I don't remember his name offhand. This was last summer when I was looking for dog teeth for my G31. I originally wanted to buy one for a 930 and do the modifications to it but he told me about how they had replacements made for them and that they were probably the only place that could supply these. They have repaired a few G31/50 transaxles for 924 Carrera GTP's and needed these. I asked him about ring and pinions as well. He told me that they don't actually cut the ring and pinions there.
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 pm

I talked Roger Brown from CMS. I don't remember his name offhand. This was last summer when I was looking for dog teeth for my G31. I originally wanted to buy one for a 930 and do the modifications to it but he told me about how they had replacements made for them and that they were probably the only place that could supply these. They have repaired a few G31/50 transaxles for 924 Carrera GTP's and needed these. I asked him about ring and pinions as well. He told me that they don't actually cut the ring and pinions there.[/quote]thats who i talked to was roger was asking him bout rebuilding my turbo trans 4 my 87 and asked him bout rnp 4 it and if teeth could b milled off and splined for new gear that xshop mentioned and he said they had new machine that cut pinion gears this was last week.thats probaly the case that albins cuts them ill try emailing them to see if thats how they do it .their rebuilds look pretty good tough
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  v8carreragts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 pm

CMS has lots of stuff that you can't find anywhere else. They also set up quite a few transaxles for big HP v8 mid engine cars. I wish I knew about them years ago.
v8carreragts

Back to top Go down

R&P

Post  xschop on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 am

If you guys are looking into custom R&P for the Audi boxes, try hunting down a gear cutter that has Klingeinberg Palloid style cutting equipment. That would be a true upgrade.
xschop

Back to top Go down

Gear heads and transaxle GURUS please enter

Post  xschop on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:47 am

I posted up here because if anybody knows how to mod up a gearbox, it is this group...
Before I put the C5 differential on the back of the 5 speed, I want to know if these Aisin boxes can be converted to front differential setup (like our Audi boxes) and save cutting the floorpan.....

xschop

Back to top Go down

Wow, 160 views later....

Post  xschop on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:34 am

I think I stumped em' on this one, hehe ....There was a guy there that made a homemade transaxle from MDF board of all creations..... scratch

xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 pm

I think I stumped em' on this one, hehe ....There was a guy there that made a homemade transaxle from MDF board of all creations...

Are we talking Jeep AX5/15? Hahaha... I have one on my counter right now! It’s getting a new 5th gear snap ring and checkup. I’ve rebuilt quite a few. I’ve actually done quite a few different transmissions, mostly GM automatics, but the AX5 and 15’s I comprehend and love the most. But yeah, maybe I can help you.

I see your diagram there. I think I see what you’re trying to do.
I’m not about to act like the authority on manual transmissions and don’t want to come-off like I’m giving a lesson so I hope no one takes it that way. But maybe this will help? If not, dont take my guru points.... Laughing I keep losing them somehow. Laughing

I’m gonna try and specifically refer to the AX5/15 here. When the engine is running, the transmission is in neutral and the clutch engaged so that engine power is sent to the transmission, the input shaft of the transmission is rotating just as fast as the engine; but no power is transmitted through the rest of the mainshaft because the input shaft/4th gear assembly is riding on the needle bearings within the shaft assembly. The input shaft/4th gear assembly is, however, also turning the countershaft at all times which in turn rotates the selectable gears which free-ride on cage bearings along the mainshaft (in exception to 5th which is pressed on and 4th which is one piece with the input shaft as the 1:1 gear and the gear that provides power to the countershaft...its the gateway to the wheels haha). When shifting the lever, you are moving one of four shift rails within the transmission; all of which have a fork that may engage a gear. The shift fork of the rail slides a synchronizer sleeve (which is meshed to a hub that is pressed onto the output shaft) from its neutral position, centered on that hub, towards a selected gear. Once the sleeve is sliding, it meshes with and pushes a synchro ring against the corresponding gear that’s already fast turning due to the countershaft gear meshed with it. The sleeve is now meshed simultaneously with the hub and the synchro. All the while, the synchro is forced against the fast turning conical portion of the gear which causes the synchro to start turning and match speed with the gear. The synchro, being meshed with the sleeve which is meshed with the hub which is pressed onto the output shaft causes the output shaft to start spinning to the revolution of the ratio which finally propels the car.

Problem is, if you were to make the input shaft and the output shaft one piece, there are no gears and no ratios anymore. What you’ll have is a direct drive transmission. The teeth you are thinking of cutting off the countershaft is the 4th gear counter gear. When the input shaft is rotating in neutral, fourth gears job besides being fourth gear (which is one piece with the input shaft kinda weird welded together) is to drive the entire countershaft which turns all the gears of the mainshaft which synchronizes the shifting. One other thing I was wondering and I may have missed it but (I got here late), how did you plan to get the driveshaft into the gearbox with the C5 differential in front of it?

I hope this helps. Very Happy

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Butthead moment....

Post  xschop on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Uh....Uggh...Heuughheehhuu (braces showing)....

I kinda figured it wouldn't be that easy. It would be WAY more machine work to set it up like a 944 audi box than it would be to cut the floor pan anyway. Also I am just about decided the first method would be best since I would get a shorter torque tube out of the deal with maybe only two TT bearings needed on the ends for easy change out and also the fact that the Torque tube can be dropped without having to remove the tranny. Hey Mike all the AX15 (not AX5, that belongs with the Toyota W5x group) Toyota R and New MA5, AR5 trannies parts interchange, except that input, counter shaft ratios much match. So I see what you are saying there. The ends all accept the Jeep/Toyota/Dodge 4x4 tails and they are all machined concentric to the tranny output shaft for transfer case insertion (although splines vary).
Mating the 4x4 tails to the C5 diffs will be a cakewalk (because the C5 mating face is also concentric to it's shaft obviously).

To answer your question about the 2nd way (944 audi box cofiguration)....
The countershaft teeth can be ground-milled off just like it is possible to grind-mill a pinion shaft and respline the end for a hollow pinion like the C5's, but is ALOT of work. I think for simplicity's sake and my mental health I will just do the extension shaft and adapter over the 944 TT.
I do have one last question for you. How would you mate the 944 shifter to the AX15 shifter? I'm open to ideas there. I thought I would just make a clamp adapter and drill a hole in the side of the Aisin shifter after I shortened it down to like 1.5" from the bottom throw plate.
xschop

Back to top Go down

ax5 and ax15

Post  xschop on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Measure the gears widths on the ax5 and ax15 and you will see why the Ax15 is more stout. The AX15 did have better synchros than the R-15x's, but the new MA5/AR5 boxes have triple cone synchros from the factory. That's why the Toyota Supra guys are sticking them in as an upgrade. I'm with them on that thinking as I test drove a Solstice last year.....Shifts so friggin' smooth and quick.....
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am

Yeah, the transfer case flange on the 4x4 model transmissions were all made to accept the ever awesome New Process/New venture 231 transfer cases. The flange pattern has gotten to be as common as the SBC BH flanges to common gearheads. Laughing You can spot it a mile away. And yeah, the AX15 is probably one of the most popular manual transmission in the world. Its still being produced and updated today. You can buy a brand new one from the OE manufacturer if you wanted to. There are many names/derivations it uses so parts interchangeability is wide. And no kidding about strength. Much stronger than the peugot BA10 and AX5 it replaced. In the Jeep world, the AX5 came standard behind 2.5L 4 cylinders. But Jeep needed a stronger tranny for the 4.0L 6 cylinders and thats where the AX15's are found.

I say if its good enough for NOVAK V8 and Advance Adapters conversions as well as supras (I thought they ran TH400's?) then it would surely find a good home in our porsches. As far as adapting the 944 shifter to the ol' ball and cup shifter mech... I'll leave that up to you fellas. The shift arm within the shifter tower on these transmission rides on a bar fore and aft as well as left to right so theres range of motion for the most part that would allow modifying it and making it do what you want. If you look at the rear of the these transmissions (at the flange you speak of), you'll see a large allen plug. If you take this plug out, the bar will slide out which means maybe you can make a longer bar and like the G50 and getrag transmissions that have the same kinda rod sticking out the rear of the transmission, that is actuated by 2 cables, and with a porsche 986 or 996 shifter, cables, and bracketry maybe you could shift it. (long sentence!) Laughing

Anyway, I was kinda hopen someone was gonna finally start building torsion bar delete kits that loop up so we could start looking into the C5 transaxle with seriousness. They make torsion delete kits now but what good are they if they just simply replace the tube with another damn tube? Need something that leaves the area clear for transmission choice as well as leaves the rear suspension stock...well with coilovers of course.

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:10 am

Heres the AX15 FSM if you didnt already have it.

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

gear widths

Post  xschop on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:34 pm

Hey MK, If you can neasure the gear widths especially 1-3 on the AX15 when you have it apart. I may be getting the AR5 with triple synchs and want to compare...
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 am

The transmission on the counter is an AX5.

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

r154

Post  xschop on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:51 am

The tranny is an R154, that I photoshopped/painted from Supramania site. reguardless, the internals are the same as the AX15.......... The AX5, W5x's are different from these with smaller gears...
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  xschop on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:32 am

Hey MK, is there an aftermarket synchro upgrade (triple cone possibly) for the AX15. Or is it that the newer Aisins have the gear sets cut a little differently to accomodate the triple cones?
xschop

Back to top Go down

Post  944-LT1 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 am

I dont know of anybody who offers TCSs for the AX15. Im sure theres someone out there that sells the stock synchros made of materials other than brass like steel and stainless steel but im not sure. For TCSs, they would have to also make a line of hubs though? Ive never had a problem with synchros in the AX's after initial rebuilds when I got them. The brass units are pretty durable if you know how to shift it correctly and use the correct oils (BTW, they claim the best lube for the Aisins is 10w30! Laughing )

I know they sell TCSs for the AR5 and R154's. But you already know that right?

944-LT1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top