HOW TO DO AN ADVANCED SEARCH.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm by Admin

For the benefit of 944Hybrids users there are two search functions available for you to use.
The purpose of this sticky is to explain the "Advanced Search" function because it is much more powerful and is the best choice when researching information.

When you log on to the site a list of options is shown in a line at the top of the page. One option is labelled "Search", use this option (NOT the search box lower down on the right).

After you click on the upper search option, a drop down box appears. At the bottom of this box is a radio button marked "Advanced …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» Rebuilt engine threw three rods
Today at 7:45 pm by jpkinerk

» 1984 Gen IV 5.3 Swap
Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:54 am by superman22x

» Aluminum 5.3 swap
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm by turbobob924

» Power and Torque figures
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:27 am by Fubar

» Aftermaket Seat Options
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:04 am by Jchard944

» 83' Porsche 944 LM7 Build
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 pm by Jchard944

» 948 Badges - Just in time for Christmas
Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:59 pm by Admin

» Atlanta area cars and shops
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 am by Bmillar

» New convert under way
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 pm by kevin924kevin

» Did anyone do a before and after weight?
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:44 am by murrayg

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

I forgot my password

which bell housing to use

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 pm

i have an automatic trans equipped wich only uses clutch disc pressure plate n flywheel to positivly engage driveshaft and dosent need throwout bearing or clutch pedal 86 944 which i converted to an early 1971 carbed 350 sbc that i have already built utillizing a custom adapter plate with porsche bellhousing ect.i have takin the engine out to make some upgrades and a while back i found this site specializing in 944 conv.i like the way and the adapters used in the conversions here using early style 383 bellhousings .or the later style c5 corvette bellhousing.either kit will work on any sbc but with different pilot adapter for early sbc or lt1 versus a different pilot adapter for ls1 engines .the question i have which bellhousing is the better choice and why.i have a early style bellhousing and have thought about using the c5 bellhousing in my conversion.

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : revise)
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Re: which bell housing to use

Post  944-LT1 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:44 pm

2004 C5 Corvette 12554980 2-piece bellhousing is the norm for the LS conversions but may also be used with pre-LS engines as well. It is nice because the lower half of the BH drops out and away for access to the clutch system. In your case, .....actually, I have no idea what your case is. Laughing The C5 one-piece may also be used, is cheaper and more plentiful as of yet. Since you have and automatic, you would probably benefit from the one piece BH as opposed to the two piece.

Either are good though.

The old BH's can be used as well but require a bit more thought and fabing depending on what method you choose to follow. Theres a recent thread here about the two C5 housings. Theres also a thread "somewhere" about the Gen1 bellhousings.

Im not sure I follow what your setup is? A V8 to a GM housing to the torque tube to a 944 automatic transmission.... but you are not using the 944 torque converter but a clutch?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
944-LT1

Back to top Go down

which bellhousing to use

Post  stuart f. wright on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:47 pm

i was going to use a early bh but like you said the 2 piece c5 bh would be the better choice from my research.the 944 i have uses the stock auto trans located in the rear and the tourqe conv is also located in the rear towards front where tourqe tube conects to transaxle.the auto 944 shares same tourqe tube dimns and shaft and splines as a 944 manual with the exception that there is no clutch disc or pressure plate but instead a rubber lined coupler and flywheel that bolts together with acess through the starter hole. on the stock 944s equipped with auto trans the flex conector is what they call it are prone to failure and many owners have replaced them with a manual type flywheel pressure plate and clutch disc without the throwout bearing to positivly connect the engine to the diveshaft in tourqe tube which is what im attempting.i had the car runnig on v8 power but with my own homade conversion plate utilizing the stock flex connector which is showing some age and while i have the engine out for upgrades im going to alleviate the failure prone flex connector.i like the c5 setup with the machined billit adapter with the machined tourqe tube centering sleeve.alot more enginered than my homade plate lol .944v8s sell the adater 4 the c5 setup but i didnt see one for the early bh which looks to be a 2 piece adapter with a piece of .375 and .250 to connect bellhousing to tourqe tube.i like the c5 better but im just trying to weigh pros vs cons here thanks 4 feedback .im learning quite a bit on this site

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:23 pm

I'll update the C5 BH thread also, but here's what I have learned with the 12551118 BH:

To use this bellhousing on a SBC / LT1 engine, a high-torque stater ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) must be used. I bolted my 12551118 BH up to the '96 LT1, and the stock starter is now scrap. The stock GM starter nose-cone will not clear the bell, and the HT starter does not utilize the nose-cone.

The same starter problem will likely exist on the LS engine, but it is being verified.
For the 12554980 (2-piece) BH, starter design and location is not an issue.

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 pm

will any type factory starter work on 2 piece c5 bellhousing with ealy sbc i assume the starter you trashed was on the automatic style c5 bh 12551118

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:41 pm

I compared the two (SBC vs. C5) a while back, and they appear to have the same starter location. The 12554980 needs to be bolted up to a block for definitive verification.
(The starter I "scrapped" was due to a fit of frustration...now it will be a core. albino)

Anyone want to loan me one for a few days?
I'll pay shipping...
(I should have done this a year ago.)

Then we'll know...
The REST...of the story.

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:12 pm

are you using a ls or an lt1 motor.will an ls starter bolt up to a early sbc or lt1 and work properly.i think i ran into a simular problem before with a starter on a small block chevy that the ones built for a manual trans equipped sbc have a different design nose cone than a starter on a automatic equipped sbc.of course using one without a nosecone solves the problem but some of them are rather pricey. its nice to know all this before i start bolting together instead of being a guinea pig

Last edited by stuart f. wright on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  stuart f. wright on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:29 pm

stuart f. wright wrote:are you using a ls or an lt1 motor.will an ls starter bolt up to a early sbc or lt1 and work properly.i think i ran into a simular problem before with a starter on a small block chevy that the ones built for a manual trans equipped sbc have a different design nose cone than a starter on a automatic equipped sbc.of course using one without a nosecone solves the problem but some of them are rather pricey. its nice to know all this before i start bolting together instead of being a guinea pig
i see an update coming and pic of a guinea pig holding a wrench lol
stuart f. wright

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:54 pm

gt1scca wrote:I'll update the C5 BH thread also, but here's what I have learned with the 12551118 BH:

To use this bellhousing on a SBC / LT1 engine, a high-torque stater ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) must be used. I bolted my 12551118 BH up to the '96 LT1, and the stock starter is now scrap. The stock GM starter nose-cone will not clear the bell, and the HT starter does not utilize the nose-cone.

The same starter problem will likely exist on the LS engine, but it is being verified.
For the 12554980 (2-piece) BH, starter design and location is not an issue.

no!!! ur wrong for the sbc, im running a stock starter and had no problems, it turned the motor over and does fine, it ven fits inside the bh. check again
modenas

Back to top Go down

Post  gt1scca on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:25 pm

Look at the part # I posted...
Also, remember I said:
gt1scca wrote:For the 12554980 (2-piece) BH, starter design and location is not an issue.
It's for the 1-piece C5 bellhousing, NOT the 12554980 2-piece bellhousing you're using.

I bolted it up, I saw it not fit, and the SBC / LT1 uses basically the same starter design.
Not even if you turn it upside down...

clown

gt1scca

Back to top Go down

Post  modenas on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 pm

o ok, sorry!
modenas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content